*whispers* Shakespeare

A place to discuss what you're reading, your favourite authors and books etc. Everything from the Classics to Shakespeare and Non-Narnian Fantasy works.

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, Tenethia, White Rose

hansgeorg
Fanatic: At the broken stone table

Re: *whispers* Shakespeare

Post by hansgeorg » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:10 am

A Merchant of Venice.

Who agrees that:
1) Shylock is acting and losing basically as Satan in Irenaeus and as White Witch in LWW? Up to when he agrees to convert that is.
2) That he despite being technically a Jew (thus in Middle Ages' typology a representative of Satan) is not there to lampoon the Jews of England, there were hardly any (the Marrano Medic of "Queen" Bess was of Jewish origin and perhaps a crypto-Jew, but technically not a Jew), but rather the Puritans?
3) That Jessica is a celebration of Jews and Jewesses converting to Christianity (for other motives than avoiding Spanish expulsion of 1492), and since the name means "light" in Hebrew is also a word play on Christ's word at Sychar, John 4:22 "salvation is of the Jews" if any translation has "light" (as I recall I read somewhere).
4) That the play avoids being an allegory by the fact that the characters change the roles they allegorically hold at some point. Shylock starts as Satan and ends like a convert and penant. Antonio starts out like Christ in giving himself as a sacrifice, but ends up like a sinner needing defence from Satan, which is where Portia is portrayed as "advocata nostra" - which is not the role she plays in the last Belmont scene, of course.
hobbit_of_narnia
Knight
Location: ♫ What's this holding me? I'm not where I'm supposed to be! ♪♫

Post by hobbit_of_narnia » Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:29 pm

I'm starting to read through all of Shakespeare's works for English Lit. So far I've only finished The Tempest.
If somebody has an idea for a Narnia comic that they weren't planning on making themselves, I <------ This offer still
would be so grateful if they would send it to me in a PM. I am running appallingly low on ideas...! <-- stands. :)
hansgeorg

Post by hansgeorg » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:16 pm

Not a bad one.
hobbit_of_narnia
Knight

Post by hobbit_of_narnia » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:40 am

I've only ever read two Shakespeares the whole way through: The Tempest and Hamlet. Let me say, The Tempest was a breeze after Hamlet. :P
If somebody has an idea for a Narnia comic that they weren't planning on making themselves, I <------ This offer still
would be so grateful if they would send it to me in a PM. I am running appallingly low on ideas...! <-- stands. :)
hansgeorg

Post by hansgeorg » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:25 pm

me some more, but agreed The Tempest has more fresh air and Hamlet more rotten air of the two.
Shield Maiden
Knight

Post by Shield Maiden » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:24 pm

I've read King Lear and it was amazing. I'm starting to realize that maybe I am drawn to traitors named Edmund...
Team Cap. Sig made by Ariel.
anunknownpevensie

Post by anunknownpevensie » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:43 pm

So I have a couple questions. One, should I read Shakespeare? It is highly recommended, and I have seen a few plays, but that is all. I personally have though the guy was quite loony. Some of my friends, however, think I need to read it, and my mom would like it if I read it. Is it really that good? (Thinking, I realize my mom is right about a lot of reading suggestions. Try Black Stallion, for instance. My top favorite series probably, and that was her idea).

And if you want me to respond to anything, you will have to quote me I am afraid.
elanorelle
Contributor

Post by elanorelle » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:06 pm

Shakespeare is a must read for anyone who loves literature. There is a certain brilliance in his works and I would highly suggest taking on the shorter plays before delving into the longer, more complex ones. Most times younger readers are offered Romeo and Juliet for a first look, I did in junior high, but I think a better one might be the comedy Twelfth Night or maybe the tragedy Julius Caesar. Up to you, really, but I do think he should be read at least once if only for the purpose of his influence in the sphere of English literature.
anunknownpevensie

Post by anunknownpevensie » Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:44 am

Alright, all I know is that I am NOT planning on reading Romeo and Juliet. :P A friend posted something on google+ a while back that was basically...
Romeo: Juliet
Juliet: Romeo
Juliet: Romeo
Juliet: *dies*
Romeo Juliet!

And from everything else I have heard....... yeah. That fits. XD
And I am not into romances.
However.... a comedy sounds great! I shall see about reading that one.

BTW there would be no hindrances as for length. Short stories were never my type. (I read Les Miserables....... nothing short there!) :P

And if you want me to respond to anything, you will have to quote me I am afraid.
hobbit_of_narnia
Knight

Post by hobbit_of_narnia » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:46 am

If you're looking for length, read Hamlet. It's awfully hard to follow the first couple times through, but it was always my favorite. But then, tragedies might not be your thing.

Return to “The Library (non-Narnian Literature)”