*whispers* Shakespeare

A place to discuss what you're reading, your favourite authors and books etc. Everything from the Classics to Shakespeare and Non-Narnian Fantasy works.

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, Tenethia, White Rose

Lucy Took
Site Admin

Re: *whispers* Shakespeare

Post by Lucy Took » Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:17 pm

Hamlet is great. I recommend watching the David Tennent version while reading it. It's on YouTube methinks.

Romeo and Juliet could work for you Pev if you read it as a satire of young love.
Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.
Shield Maiden
Knight

Post by Shield Maiden » Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:35 pm

The biggest drawback of reading Shakespeare is the format - Shakespearean English can be very difficult to understand, especially if you're not familiar with it at all.

If you're looking for (more) classic Shakespeare, Macbeth is super engaging. It is a tragedy, though, and supernatural occurrences are a key influence on the plot. (It also heavily influenced Lord of the Rings!)

I would stay away from the histories - those can be pretty dull.

I've heard that A Midsummer Night's Dream is pretty good (especially if you're just starting out), but I haven't read it myself.

Seeing any Shakespeare performed is usually more immersive than reading it. I think the best adaptation of any play that I've seen so far (that's available in digital format) is the Royal Shakespeare Company's production of King Lear (starring Ian McKellan!).
Team Cap. Sig made by Ariel.
Lucy Took
Site Admin

Post by Lucy Took » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:38 pm

I read "A Midsummer Night's Dream" using "No Fear Shakespeare" which is a great way to get into the Bard's works. It has the text of the play on one side and a modern day "translation" on the other side that gives what it means and what the historical context of it was.
Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:46 am

The only Shakespeare play I've read in its entirety is "A Winter's Tale", which has distinction for being both comedy and tragedy. Rather liked that one, actually. (And it has the best stage directions for a death ever.
Over my holidays, I picked up a reeeeally old copy of his historical plays, which I do intend to getting around to eventually. (*eyes all the other unread books on her shelf*)
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
Shield Maiden
Knight

Post by Shield Maiden » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:46 am

"Exit, pursued by a bear." xD I went to see The Winter's Tale performed as a field trip for my drama class. All of my peers were incredibly disappointed that they didn't actually show the bear, they just had the guy run offstage screaming with bear noises in the background.
Team Cap. Sig made by Ariel.
albero1
Knight
Location: SCREAMING because 21 Pilots just released a new song! *victory dance*

Post by albero1 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:10 pm

I saw A Midsummer Night's Dream at my city's Shakespeare in the Park. Phenomenal. Absolutely amazing.
Lady Albero, Royal Vocalist and Scrivener of Fanfictions, Knight of TLC
Lyrics from House of Gold by Twenty One Pilots
hobbit_of_narnia
Knight
Location: ♫ What's this holding me? I'm not where I'm supposed to be! ♪♫

Post by hobbit_of_narnia » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:03 am

*gasp* I love Shakespeare in the Park!
If somebody has an idea for a Narnia comic that they weren't planning on making themselves, I <------ This offer still
would be so grateful if they would send it to me in a PM. I am running appallingly low on ideas...! <-- stands. :)
Benisse
Site Admin

Post by Benisse » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:55 am

I agree with Hobbit :)
This past summer I got to see Cymbeline (in an outdoor theater by the ocean) for the first time! It was a complex plot with lots of twists and turns... I love going to Shakespeare by the sea with my family.

Oh! and today I got to go to an art exhibit by a Japanese artist who has done quite a few poster projects. This is his poster for Twelfth Night:

Xin Yesu, Xiang Yesu - Believe Jesus, Be like Jesus
LWW art in my avvy and siggy by my daughter
Lil
Site Admin

Post by Lil » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:22 pm

Has anyone seen the The Hollow Crown Series? (I'm not recommending them. I don't know what their rating is.) Just wondering.
Avvie by Siberian Christmas. Signature by Ariel of Narnia

"Maybe Redemption has stories to tell. Maybe forgiveness is right where you fell. Where can you run to escape from yourself? Where you gonna go? Salvation is here." - Dare You to Move (Switchfoot.)
Benisse
Site Admin

Post by Benisse » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:26 am

It's summer so open air Shakespeare productions are popping up all over in my metroplex. When my son flies home we might try to catch Taming of the Shrew or MacBeth...

Xin Yesu, Xiang Yesu - Believe Jesus, Be like Jesus
LWW art in my avvy and siggy by my daughter

Return to “The Library (non-Narnian Literature)”