Anne of Green Gables

A place to discuss what you're reading, your favourite authors and books etc. Everything from the Classics to Shakespeare and Non-Narnian Fantasy works.

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, Tenethia, White Rose

hobbit_of_narnia
Knight
Location: ♫ What's this holding me? I'm not where I'm supposed to be! ♪♫

Re: Anne of Green Gables

Post by hobbit_of_narnia » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:19 pm

:lol: Anne is in no way perfect! But in her imagination (especially during the first half of the book), what with the imaginary name Cordelia Fitzgerald and everything, she does resemble a Mary-Sue. That's probably what you were thinking of, Hans.
If somebody has an idea for a Narnia comic that they weren't planning on making themselves, I <------ This offer still
would be so grateful if they would send it to me in a PM. I am running appallingly low on ideas...! <-- stands. :)
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:38 am

Anne's has several issues - a hot temper and vanity being the most notable, I think - that puts her at odds with various people. True, she does charm her way out of a few situations and things tend to work out well in the end for her (Marilla decides to keep this wayward child, Rachel (mostly) puts up with her, Gilbert goes from childhood enemy to scholastic rival to love interest, Diana is an instant friend despite her flaws, so on), but it's more the growth of characters that leads to happy endings than it is Anne sweet-talking her way through.
Granted, her flaws and their consequences, I think, might be more prominent in the books than the films; but I've only read three of the books, so I only have so much understanding there.
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
hansgeorg
Fanatic: At the broken stone table

Post by hansgeorg » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:34 pm

I haven't read any, I only know them by reviews, and yours are about doubling my knowledge.
Lucy Took
Site Admin

Post by Lucy Took » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:02 pm

I've read all of the books! And I really do love them.

Re: Anne as a Sue

Perhaps a little bit in the later books, but that's because she's moved from main character to mother character. In the earlier books she's far from a Sue, more like a role model. I think the things about her that might seem to perfect is that she makes mistakes, a LOT of mistakes, but she actually /learns/ from them, which a lot of characters don't actually learn from their mistakes right away whereas Anne typically does.

It's like Lucy. No one would call Lucy a Sue even though she is the character who is the most "perfect", she has flaws, but she's willing to learn and grow from her experiences instead of making the same mistake over and over. So role model characters. :)
Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.
hansgeorg

Post by hansgeorg » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:06 pm

Ah, in your book a Sue is only a Sue if not needing that.
Shield Maiden
Knight

Post by Shield Maiden » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:09 pm

I love how you put that, Tooky. It's been a while since I've read the books, but I highly doubt a Sue would accidentally dye her hair green and then live with the consequences.
Team Cap. Sig made by Ariel.
hansgeorg

Post by hansgeorg » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:44 pm

Which were?

*curious*
hobbit_of_narnia
Knight
Location: ♫ What's this holding me? I'm not where I'm supposed to be! ♪♫

Post by hobbit_of_narnia » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:44 pm

Having to cut it off and be called "scarecrow" by some of her schoolmates.
To put the story in context, Hans, Anne had bright red hair, and she hated it. She wished so much that it would be black like her friend Diana's, so when a peddler selling hair dye came to the door while no one but herself was home, she eagerly bought a bottle of dye that he guaranteed would turn her hair jet black, lured in part by the peddler's promise that the dye would not wash out. Anne used the whole bottle and, to her horror, discovered that it turned it a horrible shade of dull green! When Marilla, her guardian, came home she was horrified and tried to wash the dye out but, true to the peddler's word, it was impossible and Anne was left with the option either to let her hair stay green forever, or to cut it short as a boy's and let it grow back in its natural color. She chose the second option, and admitted that though her hair had been red, she hated to cut it because it was so long and thick and curly.
If somebody has an idea for a Narnia comic that they weren't planning on making themselves, I <------ This offer still
would be so grateful if they would send it to me in a PM. I am running appallingly low on ideas...! <-- stands. :)
hansgeorg

Post by hansgeorg » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:52 pm

She could have waited, theoretically, till the red hair grow from the hair bottom (or whatever is the English for this, I'm translating "hårbotten" word for word) and pushed the green out to the tips where they could be eventually cut off.

So, if she is an author avatar a memory by authoress (the novel was written by a lady, right?) prevented her from being a down right Sue. I agree, a total Mary Sue would not have hated her red hair so much as to dye it in the first place.
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:38 pm

She could have waited for her red hair to grow out again (from the roots, as we call them), but even if one has fast-growing hair, that would take a very long time, plus all the humiliation in that time of having nasty green hair.
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"

Return to “The Library (non-Narnian Literature)”