Anne of Green Gables

A place to discuss what you're reading, your favourite authors and books etc. Everything from the Classics to Shakespeare and Non-Narnian Fantasy works.

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, Tenethia, White Rose

Shield Maiden
Knight

Re: Anne of Green Gables

Post by Shield Maiden » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:51 pm

Hans, I would recommend reading the book for yourself - it is excellently written and is a Canadian classic. However, don't go reading it with a pre-conceived idea - base your judgements on the book itself ;)
Team Cap. Sig made by Ariel.
hansgeorg
Fanatic: At the broken stone table

Post by hansgeorg » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:58 am

Might be an idea.
Benisse
Site Admin

Post by Benisse » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:08 pm

I've read almost all of the books (other than when Anne was a mother), but although I really enjoyed the first book, I mainly kept reading the others in the series simply because I had come to care for the characters, rather than for the pleasurable merits of the sequels.
Xin Yesu, Xiang Yesu - Believe Jesus, Be like Jesus
LWW art in my avvy and siggy by my daughter
featherfish
Knight

Post by featherfish » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:12 pm

My drama club just had our performnace of Anne of Avonlea yesterday. We all really liked the story and it encouraged a lot of us to read the books.
*is such an emo sprite*
lady featherfish, royal vocalist and scrivener of fanfictions

i swear this sig is a goose
Lucy Took
Site Admin

Post by Lucy Took » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:52 pm

Oh, I've seen the play version of Anne of Avonlea before, it's really good, glad your school could do it. :) Our community theater did Anne of Green Gables one year and then did Anne of Avonlea a couple of years later with the same girl playing Anne. I was in choir with "Anne" and I know that she loved the role and hopes they'll do an Anne of the Island so she can do it.

With the exception of the last Anne book about her daughter which is really more a war story that has Anne in it then a full part of the series on her life the books really do slow down after Anne of the Island (And I think I have more of a soft spot for that one because I'm the same age as Anne in it). There are still some great moments in them, but they don't have as much of a drive.
Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.
featherfish
Knight

Post by featherfish » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:13 pm

that's really cool. i played young anne. :) the girl who played anne would start to sing "dear younger me" by mercyme whenever she saw me. XP

i've started the series and really like them so far.
*is such an emo sprite*
lady featherfish, royal vocalist and scrivener of fanfictions

i swear this sig is a goose
Ajnos
Site Admin

Post by Ajnos » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:34 pm

On Monday night our local Christian radio station played through the whole Focus on the Family audio drama of Anne of Green Gables. It's one of those stories I've heard about my whole life as a Classic, but for some reason have never read, seen or heard. I quite enjoyed it though, I imagine they selected bits from the books, leaving a lot out.

I must say, though, that I can see why someone might accuse her of being a Mary Sue in the sense that a lot of things (even seemingly bad situations) ended up going her way. She was always top of her class (unless Gilbert beat her) and so good at reciting poetry and all most of her dreams came true. As a child, she hated her hair and freckles but then her hair went dark after she cut it and she was prettier as she got older. There were a few moments where it seemed a bit unrealistic, but it was fun and ahe was a rather likeable character.
Thank you for the set Happy!!

Born a Daughter of Eve; Now a Daughter of the Second Adam
silver_fountain
Fanatic: At the broken stone table

Post by silver_fountain » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:51 pm

I was in the same play as featherfish. I played Charlotta the fourth. She's not very popular :\

Return to “The Library (non-Narnian Literature)”