Anne of Green Gables

A place to discuss what you're reading, your favourite authors and books etc. Everything from the Classics to Shakespeare and Non-Narnian Fantasy works.

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, Tenethia, White Rose

Quill Jill
Knight

Anne of Green Gables

Post by Quill Jill » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:35 pm

Ok, who has read/seen Anne of Green Gables? I made it a little through the 3rd book and then kind of...lost interest. :P But I really do LOVE Anne of Green Gables A LOT. I think the movies are amazing. Do ya'll have a favorite character and what not?
Shield Maiden
Knight

Re: Anne of Green Gables

Post by Shield Maiden » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:32 pm

Ooh ooh ooh!
I've only read the first book (aauuugh I know it's on my list) and LOVED IT and I also love the first movie (haven't seen the other ones, but my grandma says they're not as close to the books). I must say that I don't really have a favourite character (although Matthew is probably the closest), but I really like Gilbert (is it possible to not have even a small crush on him?).
Team Cap. Sig made by Ariel.
Quill Jill
Knight

Post by Quill Jill » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:42 pm

Hahaha, I know right :roll:

The second movie is really good, but the third one is...well, not so good. I heard it's nothing like the books. But I mean, some parts I enjoy. I kind of have a love-hate relationship with the third movie. :P
Man, I don't think I have a favorite character either. I love them all ;)
hobbit_of_narnia
Knight
Location: ♫ What's this holding me? I'm not where I'm supposed to be! ♪♫

Post by hobbit_of_narnia » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:37 pm

I read all of the Anne books but the only one I really liked was the first one. I've also seen both "Anne of Green Gables" and "Anne of Avonlea", but the story interests my sister more than it interests me. :P
If somebody has an idea for a Narnia comic that they weren't planning on making themselves, I <------ This offer still
would be so grateful if they would send it to me in a PM. I am running appallingly low on ideas...! <-- stands. :)
jesusgirl4ever

Post by jesusgirl4ever » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:43 pm

Assuming by the movies you mean the ones starring Megan Follows, then, yes, I've seen them. :) And I do like them.
Lady Jaygee, Royal Pianist and Lover of Cats, Knight of TLC
elanorelle
Contributor

Post by elanorelle » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:28 am

I've read the first book and quite possibly the second. My sister has read all of them and has told me everything about them. :) I love the first film, I don't like the second, and I don't watch the third... :P I'd say Matthew might be my favourite character; he's just so amazing!
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:10 am

I love the first two movies!! I've read the first, second, and eighth books (don't ask why I went with #8), but found them rather dry and not anywhere near as fun as the movies, but that's just me (not to mention I haven't read them again for a long time). The third movie... it exists? *pretends it's not part of her boxed set* :P I will watch it, but I don't enjoy large chunks of it.
Favourite characters? I don't know if I'd like her if she was in real life, but I like Anne. And I don't think it's possible to not like Matthew (lovely man, he was). I like Marilla once she's softened and Gilbert once he stops being a jerk. :P
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
hansgeorg
Fanatic: At the broken stone table

Post by hansgeorg » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:25 pm

Isn't Anne of Green Gables a Classic example of a Mary Sue?

If you liked the book and the character, how about ditching the "avoid Mary Sue" rule of fan fic?

If anything, avoid a Mary Sue that is more so than the Mary Sue of the canon. Like politeness to author not to overshine his characters.
Shield Maiden
Knight

Post by Shield Maiden » Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:20 am

Hans, I'm a little confused by how Anne is Sue. Can you elaborate further?
Team Cap. Sig made by Ariel.
hansgeorg
Fanatic: At the broken stone table

Post by hansgeorg » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:48 pm

I had heard something like Anne is the really perfect person and the person who hels everything up in the end.

But I have not actually read the novel, and am myself not allergic (or not too much) to Mary Sues, and so I am only saying this to question the anti-Mary-Sue-rule. Taking what little I know or think I know about the novels as an example.

Return to “The Library (non-Narnian Literature)”