HTTYD Fanfic

Wrote an awesome piece of fan fiction or have an idea for one? If it's not Narnian related, post it here!

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, Tenethia, White Rose

hobbit_of_narnia
Knight
Location: ♫ What's this holding me? I'm not where I'm supposed to be! ♪♫

Re: HTTYD Fanfic

Post by hobbit_of_narnia » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:31 am

:lol:
Okay, then. It'll be a little bit shorter without them, but that's okay.
If somebody has an idea for a Narnia comic that they weren't planning on making themselves, I <------ This offer still
would be so grateful if they would send it to me in a PM. I am running appallingly low on ideas...! <-- stands. :)
narniac101
Contributor

Post by narniac101 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:47 am

Well, I'll just say that I've never seen or read anything to do with HTTYD, or really have any general idea about it, :? but I think you've got a pretty cool fanfic here so far, Hobbi! :) *applauds*
Thank you, Hobbit!
hobbit_of_narnia
Knight

Post by hobbit_of_narnia » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:32 pm

Thanks, Nia! :mrgreen:

Part Five

“This looks like a good spot,” Hiccup muttered to himself as he looked over the valley. “If I were a troll, this is definitely the place I’d choose to live. It’s got a little cave over there, though I don’t know…now that I think about it, it might get a bit damp when the wind’s blowing this direction when it’s raining. But do trolls mind getting wet? Probably not.” He sat down cross-legged on the ground behind a moss-covered rock so that he would be mostly hidden, and he watched the valley intently. But nothing moved in it. “I wonder what would draw them,’ he mumbled to himself. Then an idea dawned on him, and he reached down and removed his left boot and sock. He then tossed the sock into the valley and put his boot back on. “Gobber said the trolls steal his socks, so maybe they’d come for mine too.” Then, taking out his sketchbook, he opened it to a blank page. “I have to draw the troll when I see it,” he whispered, “or my dad will never believe me.” He resumed his waiting position behind the rock, his pencil poised, and every muscle tensed. He waited for so long that both his feet fell soundly asleep, but he didn’t dare stomp them to wake them up for fear of frightening any trolls away. The sun was beginning to set, and the light was going. His sock still lay on the floor of the valley, plainly visible from his vantage point. No trolls had come to take it.

“I wonder why they didn’t come?” Hiccup wondered out loud. He sighed sadly. “Dad’s gonna kill me for doing this. I don’t even have any proof. Why couldn’t a troll have come? Maybe I’m in the wrong place after all.” He stood up dejectedly. His legs, after being in one position for so long, gave way, and he fell down. Wincing, he raised himself back up, steadying himself with one hand against the rock, waiting until the tingling feeling had mostly left this feet. But before he left, he took one last long look at the valley.

Wait! Where was the sock? It wasn’t where it had been only a minute before. Hiccup’s heart raced. Now he did have proof: a missing sock! He stumbled back through the woods, tripping over branches and over his own feet, and falling once. The sun had set and the only light was the very late evening kind. He came at last to the harbor, and he could see his father sitting on the rock, exactly how he had left him, still fishing. The bucket was full of gleaming fish. Hiccup carefully tiptoed to the rock-seat beside Stoick and sat down. Neither of them said a word for a very long time. The end of Stoick’s pole dipped down, and the dorsal fin of a fish broke the surface of the water. Stoick eased it in until he could pull it from the water, and it must have been at least as long as Hiccup’s arm.

“Did you find any trolls?” Stoick asked gruffly.

“Well, yes and no,” Hiccup replied. “I didn’t see any, exactly. But they stole something from me.”

“They certainly did. They stole the time you should have been spending with your father.” Stoick shot a very meaningful look at Hiccup.

“Well, I suppose you could say that, but they stole something else, too, something real, something actually real and solid. And I can show you that I don’t have it anymore.”

“What did they steal?” Stoick asked in the tone of a sardonic martyr.

“They stole my sock. Here, look!” Hiccup took off his boots and showed Stoick his feet: the right with a sock, the left without.

“Just say that you left it somewhere so you wouldn’t come here without proof,” Stoick said, “because we both know that’s what really happened.”

“No, no, Dad, really! I put it in their valley to attract them, like bait. Like the bait you put on the end of the line to pull the fish in, only it’s a sock!” Stoick stood up, obviously at the end of his patience.

“Listen, son,” he said. “I’ve had it to here with all your daydreaming. It’s time you grew up. No more trolls, okay? And no more books for a week. You need to put your mind to the more important things. Fishing is important. Trolls are not.” He stooped and picked up the bucket of fish, and put his pole over his shoulder and started up the path. Hiccup put his boots back on and took his own pole up from off the ground where Stoick had laid it. Then he followed his father.

Stoick’s eyes were sad, though his back was turned to Hiccup so Hiccup could not see it. But he didn’t think it would matter. The boy was a dreamer. But dreamers didn’t survive long in Berk, for Berk was a place where only the strongest counted. And not the dreamers. He had tried all he could to make something useful out of him. But it was a hopeless case. Hiccup would never understand the more important things.

Hiccup, following behind, was silent. His left toes were cold, but he didn’t dare say that out loud. Not to his father, the great chief of Berk, no. He was a strong man, who would think his son a weakling if he mentioned his feet were cold. He hadn’t cared about the trolls. All he’d cared about was the fish. He would never understand the more important things.

Finé

I have to say, I'm not 100% satisfied with the ending, but I couldn't think of anything else. *unhappy sigh* Useless, empty brain!
If somebody has an idea for a Narnia comic that they weren't planning on making themselves, I <------ This offer still
would be so grateful if they would send it to me in a PM. I am running appallingly low on ideas...! <-- stands. :)
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:25 am

Okay, normally, iId side with Hiccup, but I legitimately felt sorry for Stoick when he mentioned the stolen time. They don't connect in way that would make that time particularly meaningful (in the short term, anyway), but the loss of time together is not for lack of trying. :(
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
hobbit_of_narnia
Knight

Post by hobbit_of_narnia » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:00 am

I wanted everybody to feel sorry for both of them because in my first draft Stoick came across as a jerk, which was not good because I like Stoick because he reminds me of my dad. So I changed it. :P
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:08 am

It's a good change. And reading this in light of what happens in HTTYD2 (ie: Stoick's death), it just makes this lost time sadder....
knight and scribe
hobbit_of_narnia
Knight

Post by hobbit_of_narnia » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:15 am

Exactly. :cry: I was so upset when Stoick died.
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:52 am

Same. Though the emotional effect didn't really kick in until Gobber made his little farewell speech.
knight and scribe

Return to “Non Narnian Fan Fiction”