The Peeress

Novels, short stories, poems, essays (anything original and not derived from existing works)

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, Tenethia, White Rose

albero1
Knight
Location: SCREAMING because 21 Pilots just released a new song! *victory dance*

The Peeress

Post by albero1 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:03 pm

So... I'm writing a story for my mom's writing class' "NaNoWriMo" and I wanted to share it. DISCLAIMER: I haven't edited it yet, so I know it's horrible. :P
*Note: The title is an archaic word for "noblewoman."

Chapter 1

Rose sighed and closed her eyes. Why did I have to come from a noble family? Why couldn’t I just be a normal dryad and not have to go to councils or— However, her rant was interrupted by a nudge on her arm. She looked over in the direction of the nudge. It was Nerian, an ambassador. He raised his eyebrows at her. She groaned inwardly and rolled her eyes, begrudgingly listening to the Viceroy explaining why breaking ties with the Earthmen was impossible. She looked around as she did so.
Givine really was beautiful in the spring. They were meeting at the very center of the dryad’s living area, which was a clearing in the middle of the forest. The wonderful thing about the clearing, however, was that the tall, tall trees that grew around the clearing had branches that stretched up and toward the center of the clearing, so that the effect was that of a giant gazebo. However, the leaves weren’t so thick that no light could come through. On the contrary, it was filtered through the leaves so that the entire place was bathed in golden light.
The viceroy finished and the council-men and –women started arguing. She didn’t pay very much attention, however, except when Merilissel started speaking. Merilissel was ambassador to the Earthmen, but that wasn’t the amazing part. The thing was, Merilissel had only just turned fourteen, a full year younger than Rose. “Viceroy Rindinon, I must differ,” she began. “The Earthmen have allied themselves with Gargon. If we continue our—”
However, she was interrupted by Ambassador Elmis. “Gargon! That’s ridiculous!” she snorted.
Merilissel shook her head. “It’s not! I saw them they’re—different! They—aren’t the same.”
“Thank you for elaborating on your point for so well,” Lady Sage said dryly. Merilissel looked angry. Rose wanted to warn Merilissel not to do or say anything in her anger, but first of all, Merilissel was several people away from her, and secondly, no one would take kindly to someone whispering something to another person if they did not intend to share it with the whole council. As a matter of fact, one could have been evicted out of the council for doing something like that. And although sometimes—like when Lady Sage and Viceroy Rindinon debated for a long time—she wished she wasn’t there, it was a great honor and privilege to be in the council, especially since she was only a Peeress by inheritance, not marrige. Normally, one would only be considered true nobility if they had married someone of nobility. But since her parents had been such highly respected council members, she was given the seat.
As she was thinking this, she suddenly noticed that an argument had broken out. Lady Sage’s voice had amplified considerably, and she was listing all of the reasons that the Earthmen were still allies and that the very idea that they had allied with Gargon was ridiculous. Rose noticed Regent Noan, who was in charge of all Givine, standing up. She also noticed that she seemed to be the only one who did so.
“Quiet,” he ordered. All but Lady Sage immediately fell silent. “Lady Sage,” the Regent said, closing his eyes in what was presumably exasperation. She quieted. “Lady Sage,” he began again, “need I remind you that—”
“With all due respect, Regent,” Lady Sage said in her dramatic way, “I was protecting the name and reputation of our close trade partners, and any notion that I—”
“That is quite enough, Lady Sage,” he said in a tone of authority. “Now, I suggest that we adjourn this council until tomorrow. All in favor?”
A chorus of “Aye!” broke out.
“All not in favor?”
Lady Sage cried out in what was obviously a tone meant to be accompanied by other ones, “Nay!” She looked around and blushed.
“This meeting will continue tomorrow at the ninth hour of the morning. Adjourned.” Everyone began getting up, shaking hands, and continuing arguments. Rose jumped up, waved and smiled at Merilissel, and ran home. She ran to her and her sister’s trees, announcing, “Elle! I’m home!” Elowen, her younger sister, ran to meet her.
“Rosie!” she cried. “You’re home, you’re home, you’re home!”
“I am, I am, I am,” Rose said teasingly, brushing her sister’s golden brown hair away from her face. Her hair was the same shade as her sister’s, and they both had blue eyes. However, Elle was of average height and Rose was unusually short, going only a little bit past five feet.
Elle giggled. “Ro-sie!” she said. Her head suddenly perked up. “I’m hungry,” she said.
“All right,” Rose answered. “What shall I make you?”
“Ummm…” Elle mumbled, “I think… Oh! The fishy with the purple sauce!”
Rose laughed inwardly at Elle’s naïve description of trout covered with softened violets, which had almost the consistency of a sauce. She said to Elle, “We need to go catch some fish. Let’s find Merilissel.” They ran around the area, calling her name until they found her.
“Good afternoon, Rose,” she said, dropping a small curtsey, “Elle. What do you need?”
“We need you to come to the lake with River. We want some trout for dinner.” She grinned. “We’ll catch you some,” she said in a teasingly sing-song voice.
“All right,” agreed Merilissel. She whistled, and from somewhere in the forest flew a golden eagle. “Hello there,” Merilissel said, stroking the bird’s brown feathers after he landed on her shoulder. “We need to hunt.”
His golden eyes seemed to understand what she said, even though he wasn’t any sort of talking bird. He was a strong, serious bird, not unlike his owner. And he also happened to look like her, for she had light brown hair the same shade as his feathers. They both had golden eyes, despite the fact that Merilissel had always said she wished hers were blue, like Rose’s.
They made their way down to the lake, where Merilissel had River catch several trout. Rose went to the center of the clearing, where the large community fire was. She roasted the trout, then boiled the violets and put them atop the trout, which she, Elle, and Merilissel soon ate. They gave their leftovers to their birds. Rose had a perky, smart, ever-so-cocky raven named Holl, and Elle’s was Juniper, a house finch with a beautiful song.
As Elle and Rose went into their trees, both river birches, for a night’s sleep, Rosie couldn’t shake a sense of foreboding about the next day’s council. When she finally slept, she had bad dreams about Merilissel that felt real. Too real.
Lady Albero, Royal Vocalist and Scrivener of Fanfictions, Knight of TLC
Lyrics from House of Gold by Twenty One Pilots
hobbit_of_narnia
Knight
Location: ♫ What's this holding me? I'm not where I'm supposed to be! ♪♫

Re: The Peeress

Post by hobbit_of_narnia » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:12 pm

Ooh, keep writing, Berry! I like this a lot!
If somebody has an idea for a Narnia comic that they weren't planning on making themselves, I <------ This offer still
would be so grateful if they would send it to me in a PM. I am running appallingly low on ideas...! <-- stands. :)
albero1
Knight
Location: SCREAMING because 21 Pilots just released a new song! *victory dance*

Post by albero1 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:21 pm

*grins* I wish every time something like the last two sentences of that chapter happened, the first notes of Beethoven's fifth played. :D
Lady Albero, Royal Vocalist and Scrivener of Fanfictions, Knight of TLC
Lyrics from House of Gold by Twenty One Pilots
jesusgirl4ever

Post by jesusgirl4ever » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:28 pm

Ooh, sounds interesting, Berry!
Lady Jaygee, Royal Pianist and Lover of Cats, Knight of TLC
smaug
Knight

Post by smaug » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:17 pm

Nice job :D