Benchwarmer

Novels, short stories, poems, essays (anything original and not derived from existing works)

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, Tenethia, White Rose

Tenethia
Site Admin

Benchwarmer

Post by Tenethia » Sun May 17, 2015 2:00 am

This is a 15-minute story from Writer's Group that I wrote :oops:

For 40 years I sat on the bench. Forty years I stood on the sidelines. It wasn't because I wasn't ever put into the game, either. It was because every time there was an opportunity, I said no.

I wanted to play, I really did. But it was frightening, all those people that would be watching me, looking up to me, expecting things from me. Could I really handle it?

I thought I would never be a pastor. I thought I would always be standing off on the side, there to fill in if I was needed, but never alone to fill the responsibility on my own. I knew I was called. I'd always known it. But every time I was offered a flock to feed, I said no.

But the Coach kept calling me out to the field. "Come out and play this time, Jonah!"

It was a Sunday afternoon when it happened. We had just finished a wonderful morning service, and most of the congregation had left. I was about to leave myself when the pastor waved me over to where he was standing, talking to a visitor.

I went over to them, and the pastor introduced him to me as Randall James. "Brother Randall came this morning especially to meet you, Jonah. He's the new deacon over WHC. Their pastor is about to retire, and they have been searching for a pastor." He turned to Randall expectantly.

Randall picked it up. "One of the senior members of the church suggested we ask you if you would like to pastor us. There was discussion, and most of them said you'd refused the church at least three times in the past thirty years and you weren't likely to say yes now, but in the end it was decided we should ask you one more time. Would you like to be the pastor at WHC?"

I was stunned. I looked from Brother James to our pastor and back again. "I'll... have to pray about it," I responded.

It was several days time. I wrestled with it. All the responsibility! I couldn't possibly handle it! With me, all things are possible, I was told. But that didn't stop me from fearing. Fear not, for I am with thee to deliver thee. I could resist this no longer.

It was time I left the bench.

If you have any title ideas, let me know :roll:
Lady Tenethia, Moderator and Contributor
This is my favorite scripture passage ^.^
alexandanor
Knight

Re: Tenny's Scribbles

Post by alexandanor » Sun May 17, 2015 3:11 am

Hey, good story, Teeny! :) How about you call it "Bench Warmer" or "Into the Field"? Just an idea.
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Sun May 17, 2015 3:24 am

It's a very good story, Tenny. :D
Ooh, Alex, both are excellent title ideas!
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
elanorelle
Contributor

Post by elanorelle » Mon May 18, 2015 6:31 am

Ooh, I like it. :) I also think Alex's title ideas would work perfectly, either one.
jesusgirl4ever

Post by jesusgirl4ever » Mon May 18, 2015 10:41 am

*thought I posted something here...*

Me likeses, Tenny!
Lady Jaygee, Royal Pianist and Lover of Cats, Knight of TLC
Lily of Archenland
ROotL

Re: Benchwarmer

Post by Lily of Archenland » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:56 pm

A good slice of life. I like how you explore the character's motivations for initially avoiding taking a position in the ministry.

Return to “Original Works”