Elanor's Random Writings

Novels, short stories, poems, essays (anything original and not derived from existing works)

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, Tenethia, White Rose

jesusgirl4ever

Re: Elanor's Random Writings

Post by jesusgirl4ever » Thu May 28, 2015 10:36 am

Hm, that's interesting. Wonder what was in the box? :P
Lady Jaygee, Royal Pianist and Lover of Cats, Knight of TLC
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Thu May 28, 2015 11:37 pm

Where's Andrew Ketterley when you need the contents of a box revealed? ;)
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
elanorelle
Contributor

Post by elanorelle » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:38 am

Heehee. I, myself, haven't the slightest idea of what could be in there... I may have to get Andrew Ketterley. ;)

Here's something I wrote when I first arrived at my destination:

Am I in reality or is everything merely a dream? Nothing seems real to me as I sit here wondering about these last two days. The morning I left I watched the sun shining brighter, brighter than I remember it ever being. Blades of grass looked sharp and colours, yes, the colours were vibrant against the pale blue sky. It seemed like fantasy as I watched that familiar but strangely unfamiliar world through my glass window. We parted ways and I know we won't meet again for some time. A very long time.

The road leading to where I sit now was long, but even the length of the trip did not make it any less surreal, perhaps it only exaggerated it. Nothing can be put to words to accurately describe my rush of emotions and also the lack. All at once I feel excited, scared, happy, sad, and it leaves me confused which turns into a mess of nothing, absolutely nothing, just like the overwhelming white walls that envelop me as I write. I'm sure in a few days things will go back to how they once were, the daily grind. But right now it only feels like a vacation stay, temporary until I go back 'home'. But that place, hundreds of miles away, it isn't home. This will be my new home. This is my new home.
gypsevedius
Knight
Location: To be honest...what if you tickled a unicorn's face?

Post by gypsevedius » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:44 am

Very well written, Ela! *hugs* :mrgreen:
If you see a typo in this message, let me know. *facepalm*
^.^ *is such a suspicious looking unicavvey*
Thanks for the sig, Hobbit! (:
jesusgirl4ever

Post by jesusgirl4ever » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:24 am

Very good!
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:48 am

Nice and vivid and descriptive!
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
elanorelle
Contributor

Post by elanorelle » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:57 am

*Hugs Gyps*
Thanks, it was a confusing time when I wrote that. Sometimes I still feel a tinge of it but things are looking brighter and my emotions have settled for the most part.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I have no idea what to title this, so feel free to suggest!

There was a sound of rustling and of scraping metal, but there was no comfort of a human voice to be heard. No one dared talk, not even the most lighthearted fellows, in those moments, those which felt like hours as each man and boy listened for the last command, dreading it with all their hearts but, at the same time, wishing it was over.

William closed his eyes as he felt the ground shake beneath him, readying himself as the others were but never once thinking of himself. It was his only brother, Thomas, who took up his desperate prayers.

He made a promise to his mother: he would make sure Tom was safe and he would bring him home after all this was over. Such a simple thing it seemed at the time, but now he realized promises such as his were made to be shattered into sharp pieces that pierce the heart. If something did happen, if Thomas was injured or killed--- He brought his brother close, trying to push such impossibly abhorrent ideas from his mind. Even then it was difficult to fully understand their situation, two fragile leaves hanging on the edge of precious seconds between a future, however bleak it looked amidst such desolation, and a life cut short, oh so short.

He felt a reassuring hand on his shoulder. “Will, we'll make it out. The both of us.” Such youthful hope radiated from his brother's eyes, precious stones in a pile of dust and ashes. William loved him for it and wished he told him so. He never did and he would never have the chance --- the whistle blew.

It was time.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
This just sorta happened... I may decide to make it longer, but I don't know just yet.
jesusgirl4ever

Post by jesusgirl4ever » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:11 am

What's happening to them, Ela? You've gotta write more!
gypsevedius
Knight
Location: To be honest...what if you tickled a unicorn's face?

Post by gypsevedius » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:24 pm

Awesome! :shock:
If you see a typo in this message, let me know. *facepalm*
^.^ *is such a suspicious looking unicavvey*
Thanks for the sig, Hobbit! (:
elanorelle
Contributor

Post by elanorelle » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:12 pm

@Jaygee: I guess I left that out. :roll: I wanted a bit more ambiguity, so I discarded all terms that told where they are and what they're doing and went with a more showy description in hopes the environment and tension unfolded on its own. Did that make any sense? :P Anyway, it was called "going over the top" by soldiers of the Great War and it is exactly what it sounds like. They would go over the top of the safety in their trenches into enemy fire awaiting them when they got on top. Military commanders who ordered these attacks did so in hopes of gaining enemy territory, but very little ground was acquired at the cost of so many lives. That's basically it.

Thanks, Gyps! :D

Return to “Original Works”