Elanor's Random Writings

Novels, short stories, poems, essays (anything original and not derived from existing works)

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, Tenethia, White Rose

elanorelle
Contributor

Elanor's Random Writings

Post by elanorelle » Mon May 18, 2015 7:52 am

I'm trying to get myself to write more, so decided to make a thread for any postable writings I come up with. Tonight, I decided to do a story starter sentence for the first time on my own, here's what I came up with:

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
He was terrified of small spaces and she knew it. “You couldn't have chosen a different spot?”

“It's not like I had a choice, Ryan,” she said in as a low a voice as she could.

“I saw other places but you just had to pull me in here.”

“At least they won't find us. If we had it your way we'd search the entire square and get caught. I don't think either of us would like you very much if that happened.”

“Well-” he didn't have a chance to finish his sentence – her hand went straight to his mouth. She saw a shadow pass over the small strip of light at their feet. It was a quick movement and she held her breath, hoping the Kattazek hadn't heard them, or smelled them. After only a few seconds the shadow came back, this time it didn't leave.

With their eyes adjusted to the light, they saw each other's pale faces, her hand still covering his mouth. One noise and it would be over for the both of them. Well, for her. He wouldn't get more than a whipping in his father's prison. She wouldn't be so fortunate, and there was nothing he could do to save her. If she were brought before the emperor, and he found out, she would be killed and the lives of her family would be put at risk.

She heard the creature call to another of it's kind. “Arlo, I think there's something here.”

“Tafari's son?”

“No, it's a girl.”

She looked at Ryan with eyes wide, pleading him to do something.

“You nitwit. We're looking for the emperor's son, not some useless female.”

“I thought Tafari Emperor said something about-”

“Working with all that shouting must have done something to your hearing, Wallis. Why don't you just let me take care of this one? Just do as I say or I'll turn you into.... into a human.”

“You can't do that.”

“Remember when I was called forth to Tafari Emperor's throne room? He gave me the powers to change any disobedient Kattazek into whatever I wanted. Every one of us hates those filthy humans, so, Wallis, if you don't do as I say – you'll regret it.”

“But, Arlo, I know Tafari Emperor said something about a girl.”

“I'm just wasting my time working with you, aren't I? I gave you your chance.”

The two in hiding heard unnerving mewling change into the cries of a person: “Arlo, come back! You can't leave me here.” Arlo never did come back and Wallis' shadow disappeared almost completely - a part of it still lingered.

Ryan softly removed her hand from his face and held it. “Zara, everything will be all right. Trust me.” He cracked the door open and saw a pitiful human being slumped against the rough wall - Wallis. He didn't look threatening in that state, so he opened the door wider and stepped into the torchlight.

Wallis looked up, afraid of what he saw. “Please have mercy on me, Captain.” He stood at attention of the young officer.

“Very well.”

He tried his hardest to arrange his ill fitting clothes. “Please don't look at me like that, sir.”

“Like what?”

“Like I'm one of them.”

“The thought never crossed my mind, Sergeant Wallis.” He looked toward the door's entrance. “Even if it did, there would be no ill feelings. After all, are these 'filthy humans', as we often say, as bad as we think they are?”

“Tafari, the emperor of the world, says it's so. So it must be so,” he said, as he was taught.

“Must we believe everything our emperor says?” he said, but regretted it immediately. What captain would have the audacity to speak out against Tafari Emperor? He put his hand to his hilt as he felt the eyes of the sergeant wandering over him, looking for a trace of something-

“You're no captain! You're-”

Before Wallis could finish, Ryan drew out his sword and placed it at his throat. “Drop your weapon. Do it now, and I shall let you live.” His sword's clatter echoed in the stone passageway and Ryan prayed there were no more Kattazek soldiers around to hear. It was silent as he stared into Wallis' terror filled eyes. “I am Ryan, emperor-son of the world, and I command you to tell me where the Kattazek army is heading.”

“I am pledged only to Tafari Emperor.”

“Look where you stand. You would be dead if it wasn't for my pity.” He moved forward. “I command you to tell me.”

“The Emperor sent troops to Calem Galeen. There was an uprising in the human's town, Wilden. We were going to end it. Well, not me. I'm never around for those heroic battles.” Ryan lowered his sword, almost sorry for the Kattazek-turned-human, but stood ready for any moves Wallis might attempt. “That's why I was sent on this mission to find you.”

“It looks like you have, but you will not be reporting this to your officers, Wallis. You shall come with us.”

“'Us'?” The sergeant looked around for another person.

Ryan called out to Zara, “You needn't hide anymore. Everything is all right, just as I said.”
She emerged from the cramped dark space she pressed herself into, and squinted her eyes when they met the tired red glow. “I thought I would have to stay in there forever. You could have had the decency to call me out sooner.” She stooped down to pick up Wallis' sword.

“Right. Sorry about that.”
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I had no idea where this came from. Yes, it's weird, but I actually want to know who all these characters are now. :P
jesusgirl4ever

Re: Elanor's Random Writings

Post by jesusgirl4ever » Mon May 18, 2015 10:45 am

So do I! Please, write more, Ela!
Lady Jaygee, Royal Pianist and Lover of Cats, Knight of TLC
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Mon May 18, 2015 4:18 pm

... And you just stopped there?! *now has many questions that need answering*
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
gypsevedius
Knight
Location: To be honest...what if you tickled a unicorn's face?

Post by gypsevedius » Mon May 18, 2015 4:19 pm

Wow! That was cool, Ela! :mrgreen: Yess, very good!
If you see a typo in this message, let me know. *facepalm*
^.^ *is such a suspicious looking unicavvey*
Thanks for the sig, Hobbit! (:
elanorelle
Contributor

Post by elanorelle » Tue May 19, 2015 6:30 am

Thanks! :D I guess I'll just have to explore that world some more, which will definitely happen some time soon. I kept thinking about these new characters (especially the Kattazec folk) and letting them go like that just wouldn't sit well with me, so yeah, there shall be more.

A poem I came up with:
The Little Moth
A little moth with little wings
Is one of the most wonderful things
She doesn't boast and dares not brag.
For what 'beauty' does she have?

The butterflies and birds are bright
And such colours! They're quite a sight.
While her own are dark and tame
Still, she knows it's not a shame.

With what she has she does her best
Without such charm, she feels quite blessed.
For she was created the same as they,
The same Artist's touch but painted another way.
jesusgirl4ever

Post by jesusgirl4ever » Tue May 19, 2015 10:57 am

*claps* I like!
Lady Jaygee, Royal Pianist and Lover of Cats, Knight of TLC
narniac101
Contributor

Post by narniac101 » Tue May 19, 2015 2:44 pm

That's a lovely poem, Ela! :D
Thank you, Hobbit!
gypsevedius
Knight
Location: To be honest...what if you tickled a unicorn's face?

Post by gypsevedius » Tue May 19, 2015 4:57 pm

Wow, Elanor! That's beautiful. I admire your skills.
If you see a typo in this message, let me know. *facepalm*
^.^ *is such a suspicious looking unicavvey*
Thanks for the sig, Hobbit! (:
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Wed May 20, 2015 1:07 am

Wow! Profound, that, Elanor! :D
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
elanorelle
Contributor

Post by elanorelle » Wed May 20, 2015 4:26 am

Thank you all! :D I loved writing that poem. ^.^

So, today I was thinking about the dishwasher we don't use. It's broken, but it gave me an idea for a story. This one cuts off too, (sorry!), but it was just an exercise for first person perspective.

Kingdom in the Kitchen

“Don't you have a dishwasher Mrs Walter?”

“Yes, we do.” She took out a foamy mass and rinsed it off to reveal a cup. “Why would you ask?”

“You're always washing your dishes like that.” I pointed to the suds in the sink.

“Oh, true. It's just a habit, I guess.”

We both remained silent. She washed the dishes and I watched her. I saw her hands reach into the water, scrub away the grime of our dinner, and move the faucet over them to reveal sparkling clean dishes. When she was nearly finished I saw her accidentally spray the counter. She panicked. Her wedding ring waterfalled down into the sink but she snatched it before the drain could swallow it whole. I didn't ever think of her being married, she was just my brother's friend's mom, but her reaction reminded me. “Why don't I ever see Mr Walter?”

“He works.” It was a short and to-the-point type of answer – not what I wanted to hear.

“Where does he work?”

I saw annoyance pass over her face, but she acted pleasantly enough. “Know what, Aggie? I have to go on an errand with Stephen. Why don't you take your brother home?” She dried her hands on the kitchen towel hanging from a nearby drawer.

“Sure, Mrs Walter.” I didn't want to ruin my brother's chances of playing with his friend again.

“Thank you, dear.”

I went over to Stephen's room and saw the two of them playing with blocks, making a castle by the look of it. Little kids were cute when they didn't bother me.

“Mike, it's time to go home.”

“Already?” He looked up, obviously disappointed. Another good thing about kids – they never hid their emotions.

“Come on. Get your coat.” He didn't want to leave, but I got him up and helped him put on his coat. Then his hat. After he said his goodbye, I took him by the hand and led him to the foyer where I put on my own coat and hat. As I buttoned it down I saw Mrs Walter come in and thanked her for letting us come over and for the wonderful dinner.

“Thank you for coming.” She opened the door and let us out. My brother waved to Stephen a last time before the door closed on us.

It was nice outside but probably not in the way you might expect. You see, I loved it best when the clouds were grey, covering the sun, and when it smelled like rain mixed with the dirt of the road – so it was nice outside. That is until the rain actually came down.

“Michael, give me your umbrella.”

He looked down at his hands then down his coat. “Aggie, I forgot it!”

I groaned, knowing we'd have to go back. “Why do you always forget things? I never do.”

“I don't know, Aggie.”

Hopefully Mrs Walter didn't leave yet, we didn't go too far. Good! Her car's still in the driveway.

I ran, pulling my little brother along, until we reached the door. I tugged at the handle once, twice.

Locked.

I knocked three times and rang the bell once, but there was no answer.

“Aggie?”

“What?”

“Look, Stephen left his window open.” He pointed. Sure enough, it was wide open with no screen for protection – I heard Mrs Walter say she liked the charm of it. I called through it, but again there was no answer.

“If you pick me up I can go in and get it.”

“You can't just go in their house!” I said. But the more I thought about it, the more the idea became a good one. My mom would be very upset with me. Not Michael. Me. That was something I couldn't let happen. I picked him up high enough to put his short legs over the side. I saw droplets of rain drip off his coat and hoped he wouldn't soak the floors.

I saw him stoop. “Did you get it?”

“Yes, I have it.” He waved the thing that caused all this trouble.

“Okay, come back.” I beckoned him with my hands and he was heading my direction, but his head turned and he started walking the other way. “Mike! Where are you going?”

“There's a weird noise in the kitchen.”

“Michael Thomas, come here!” He disappeared into the hallway. “Mike!”

Just like a brother. He never listens.

I put my hands on the sill – scratching one of them- and put one leg over, than the other. “Mike, where are you?” I said as I peeked my head into the hall. I looked both ways and my hat splattered rain everywhere. I looked down at my feet and saw a trail of mud going to the window and anther toward the kitchen. At least the mud isn't all bad. “Don't play games. We need to go home.” I followed the mudprints. “Come on, Mike.”

They stopped at the dishwasher, it was open and making a strange noise, it didn't scare me – it's just not the noise you'd expect. Peculiar. Very peculiar. As I leaned forward to see why it was making the noise all thoughts of my brother disappeared. This was no ordinary dishwasher. The places where you put the plates and cups were no where to be found. It was just dark. Well, except for a small light hanging in the middle. I reached out to try and grab it, but it was like a star far away in the dark, completely out of my grasp.

Is this a tunnel? It seems like it is. I'm here at the back, and the light up ahead must be daylight. It has to be.

Either by foolishness or curiosity, I went in. I was thinking I'd have to crawl all the way there, but, to my surprise and terror, I dropped down several feet and landed on something so soft my feet sank into it. When I was able to think clearly, I looked up and saw many of those same lights.

So those are stars! Big, bright, beautiful stars at that. In all my life I've never seen stars so silvery blue. I don't believe I ever will again.

After I noticed the sky, I turned my attention the the thing below me. It felt like something I've touched before. Not something sticky or squishy, or even pillowy. It was soft, almost silky, and the fibers came apart easily like blades of grass it was... fur! The thought both thrilled me and scared me out of my mind. What creature could be that big? I was about to find out.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Weirder than the last story, yes? :P It was so fun to write, though!

Return to “Original Works”