Common Cents

Novels, short stories, poems, essays (anything original and not derived from existing works)

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, Tenethia, White Rose

Tenethia
Site Admin

Common Cents

Post by Tenethia » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:24 am

/Oh no/ I thought, /it's not possible!/ I shifted the change around in my hand. /I have not just done this./ But I had. There it was: one quarter, one dime, a nickel, and two pennies.

Forty-two cents that I had somehow ended up putting into my pocket during my shift.

“Pockets are off-limits for cash and coupons,” I remember the policy had said. Yet, somehow, I had done it. /Oh no, no, no, no!/ What was worse was that I had no recollection of doing so! I couldn't remember putting change in my pocket, but I must have.

/When on the earth?/ I wondered as I looked at it in disbelief. /Is this somebody's change that I didn't give them, or somebody's change that I put into my pocket instead of the register?/ At any rate, I was in big trouble.

/I suppose I'd better take this to the Team Leader./ I shuddered. /I could just put it on the counter, though, couldn't I? Then I wouldn't have to tell her about this./ I put it back to my pocket and stood in the walkway in the back, pondering what to do.

The water was running for dishes off to my left, and the sound of pots and metal clattering in the kitchen area was off to my right, but my conscience was louder than all of the other noise. /You have to go tell Miranda about this./

I groaned inwardly, and grudgingly pushed open the stainless steel door to go back into the front. Miranda was only a few feet away from me. I put the change on the counter and shifted back and forth, still not quite wanting to confess that I'd been irresponsible and stupid enough to put change in my pocket instead of the register. /You have to, so just do it. Get it over with./

I plodded over to her. She was a bit distracted putting waffle fries into bags and calling out orders, so I followed her from the prep area to the counter and back. “Hey, Miranda?” I said tentatively.

“Yeah?” she replied as she put a sandwich into a carry-out bag.

“Um, somehow I managed to put change in my pocket during my shift, and I'm not sure how, but it was like forty-something cents, so I just put it over there on the counter.” I gave a kind of nervous chuckle.

Miranda looked slightly confused and said “Okay?" in a "Well, if you say so, but... ok, whatever" tone..

I hurried away, glad she hadn't been shocked and appalled, and grateful she hadn't felt inclined to lecture me.

On the way home, I began telling Mom about my day, and how crazy things had been. “I started the day out great!” I began. “You dropped me off just in time to get breakfast before it ended! It cost me almost six dollars, and --”

My voice trailed off.

It was mine. The money that I had “somehow managed to put into my pocket during my shift” was mine all along.

I burst into laughter, relieved that I had no done something so thoughtlessly, and embarrassed that I had not remembered the money was mine to begin with.

“You said there was a problem today?” Mom asked, raising an eyebrow at my laughter.

“Oh, it was nothing, Mom. Nothing at all!” A goofy grin spread across my face as I laughed at myself. It was nothing, after all.

Now, the question... is this a true story or not?
Lady Tenethia, Moderator and Contributor
This is my favorite scripture passage ^.^
jesusgirl4ever

Re: A Cashier's Worst Nightmare

Post by jesusgirl4ever » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:30 am

I dunno, Tenny... Is it? :P
Lady Jaygee, Royal Pianist and Lover of Cats, Knight of TLC
narniac101
Contributor

Post by narniac101 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:09 pm

I'm cashing in my answer for a yes ;)
Thank you, Hobbit!
alexandanor
Knight

Post by alexandanor » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:16 pm

:lol: I'm thinking it's a true story.
Tenethia
Site Admin

Post by Tenethia » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:46 am

Yeah, it's true :P it happened two weeks ago (as of tomorrow :P)

I need a better title, so if you have any idea, that would be fantastic
Lady Tenethia, Moderator and Contributor
This is my favorite scripture passage ^.^
alexandanor
Knight

Post by alexandanor » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:09 am

Well...you could use "Common Cents" or "Change Happens". Or maybe "Nickles and Dimes". :?
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:36 pm

... Alex, I've decided. You need to show up at writers' group. Even if all you do is comment and offer title suggestions (in case you can't tell, I'm in need of the latter...). ;)
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
alexandanor
Knight

Post by alexandanor » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:11 am

O.O THAT WOULD BE AN HONOR!!!!!! ...as soon as I'm allowed on chat. As soon as I get permission by the powers-that-be, I will PM you, and we can talk about it. BUT THAT SOUNDS LIKE SO MUCH FUN!! :) *have always wanted to go to writer's group*
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:14 am

:D We'd love to have you once you're able to join!
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
alexandanor
Knight

Post by alexandanor » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:24 am

Thanks! :)

Return to “Original Works”