The Hundredth Balloon

Novels, short stories, poems, essays (anything original and not derived from existing works)

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, Tenethia, White Rose

elanorelle
Contributor

Re: The Hundredth Balloon

Post by elanorelle » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:46 pm

@Ariel: I picture them as siblings, with her being much younger, perhaps a tween while he's obviously old enough to be deployed - probably 17-19. Don't know why but that's how I thought of them.
Annnd, a possible title: "The Balloon Goes Up", it is a phrase that comes from the Great War - *cough* my research is showing again *cough* - when observation balloons (not the same as the ones you wrote about but balloons nonetheless) were sent up as a means to communicate to gunners to begin their fire. It is used, now, to mean the start of something, sometimes things that aren't pleasant. The phrase also /sounds/ positive and hopeful, which I felt the first half captured, and the meaning fits the /latter/ half, much darker. Just a suggestion. :)
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Re: The Hundredth Balloon

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:20 am

Ah, interesting. Thanks for tell me what you pictured.

Funny you should suggest that. "99 Red Balloons" (and the original German "99 Luftbalons") is about a war that starts because someone mistakes a bunch of balloons for hostile aircraft. I'm liking this title. Thank you!
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"

Return to “Original Works”