Flash Fiction Challenge# 1

Novels, short stories, poems, essays (anything original and not derived from existing works)

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, Tenethia, White Rose

Aslanslamb
Knight

Flash Fiction Challenge# 1

Post by Aslanslamb » Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:14 am

This writing challenge involved writing a story in 2 days in an assigned genre, with an assigned setting and incorporating a specific object.

Annabel walked into Hayashi Sushi, Sig following her. She smiled at the nodding Japanese waitress.
"How many?"
"One and a half," Annabel said. This was the common way of counting personal robots that didn't need silverware or drinks. One half.
Sig sat in the seat opposite of hers. He looked up at her.
Annabel took a deep breath. "I have something to tell you, Sig." She didn't know why she was nervous. The thing was only a machine.
"I am going to have a baby."
Sig nodded. "I will install childcare updates to my drive."
"Well," said Annabel. "That would nice. You see, I won't be spending much time with it. I have work. I refuse to give up my work for this unexpected...development. I've worked too hard to get here."
"I can only take care of the baby 70% of the time, Ms. Annabel. This is the law."
Annabel sighed. "We can find loopholes though, Sig, to that 70%? Isn't that 70% for people who have grandmothers and such to cover the other 30%? I don’t have anybody."
Sig's face remained impassive. "If you spend less that 30% of your week with the baby, I will have to report you for emotional neglect. I'm sorry, Ms. Annabel, to cause you discomfort."
Annabel felt a moment’s rage, then shrugged. There was no point to getting angry at a robot. He was only reciting what he had been taught.
She plugged Sig's wall charger into the outlet and ordered herself a fish teriyaki and an eel roll.
After the child turned two, things would get easier. Annabel would be able to get most of her required hours in at night when the child was asleep. Somehow, she'd manage until then.
They sat down and Sig plugged his charger in. It was technically supposed to be in Teri’s possession at all times but she had given it to him years ago.
“Time for your insulin injection,” Sig said. He took a syringe out of sliding compartment in his metallic chest. Teri rolled up her sleeve without much interest and let Sig slide the needle into the skin of her upper arm. She winced a little as he did it.
“This outlet must be dysfunctional,” said Sig. “I cannot feel the current.”
Teri took a sharp breath. She shouldn’t be so nervous. Sig was only a machine.
“Oh, you won’t,” she said. “I damaged your charger portal last night while you were turned off. I poured lemonade into it. That’s the way it said to do it online.” She giggled nervously.
Sig attempted to plug the charger into another outlet with no success. “This is not a joke?”
“Oh, no,” Teri said. “Charger portals are really hard to replace. You will probably be scrapped into spare metal.” She felt like her throat was being blocked with something. “I murdered you, Sig.”
"You must not make illogical statements,” said Sig. "You cannot murder me. I am not alive. After the meal is over, I will go to the robot factory. They'll keep me overnight. Then, I’ll come back in the morning. You will quietly go home and wait for your mother. And don't do it again. Your mother will not be happy."
"My mother?" Teri tried to keep her voice from quaking. “She won't even notice you're gone."
Sig reached out and took Teri's phone. "I will text her to let her know that I will be away."
Teri suddenly went wild. She leaped at Sig, wrestling the phone from his hands, succeeding only because her attack was so unexpected. Roughly, she shoved it into her water glass, splashing the whole table with water.
She felt a momentary regret. She had her mother’s picture in there.
Sig shrugged. "I will borrow a phone from the waitress. If I cannot reach your mother, I must remain with you until she comes. And you, Teri, are in trouble."
Teri burst into tears.
It wasn't at the idea of being in trouble. The robot's idea of punishment included forcing her to stay in her room, where Teri listened to music and watched movies.
No, she was crying because of how efficient everybody was. No matter what she did, it would be handled in the calmest way. But nobody would ever ask her why she did it.
"Sig?"
"Yes, Teri?"
"I hate you."
"Would you like me to go away for good?"
Teri studied his familiar, metallic face. Suddenly, she was terrified. Sig had been with her for her entire life. What if mother forgot to give her injections? What if she couldn't figure out how to do it herself?
But if she got really sick, maybe mother would pay attention.
"Yes," Teri said. "I really, really would."
"Then I must. It's in my programming."
"What do you mean?"
"If either one of your owners orders you to leave, you must ensure his or her safety, then comply. Now I must borrow a cell phone." He got up and stepped out of the booth.
Teri sat staring straight ahead, trembling. She tried to picture the future. It was a blur.
"I'll miss you," she said, when Sig had returned.
She wished he would be ironic with her. She deserved it. But he only nodded. "They will make use of me. You will probably be able to send me e-mails."
They walked home quietly.
When they were by the doorstep, Sig stopped. "Go on in. Your mother is waiting."
Teri hesitated. "What will I say to her?"
"Tell her you hate her," said Sig. "She is your mother. She won't leave."
Teri nodded. She wasn't sure she believed that. But she would try to.
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Re: Flash Fiction Challenge# 1

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:45 am

Nice piece of sci-fi you've got here, lamb. I like a good sci-fi flash-fiction. :) Not a fan of Sig's suggestion, but perhaps it will get Annabel to wake up and actually do something about her daughter?
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
jesusgirl4ever

Post by jesusgirl4ever » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:21 am

Sounds interesting!
Lady Jaygee, Royal Pianist and Lover of Cats, Knight of TLC
hobbit_of_narnia
Knight
Location: ♫ What's this holding me? I'm not where I'm supposed to be! ♪♫

Post by hobbit_of_narnia » Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:01 pm

Somehow Sig reminds me of Baymax. :? I was reading all his lines in Baymax's voice.
Very nice story! :) I liked it.
If somebody has an idea for a Narnia comic that they weren't planning on making themselves, I <------ This offer still
would be so grateful if they would send it to me in a PM. I am running appallingly low on ideas...! <-- stands. :)

Return to “Original Works”