The Operative Word

Novels, short stories, poems, essays (anything original and not derived from existing works)

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, Tenethia, White Rose

Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

The Operative Word

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:05 am

So I prompted myself to write something from an animal's perspective. It's loosely based on a brief (and expanded upon imaginatively here) encounter with a cat at a humane society.

--

Thomas didn’t like it here. Too much noise. Only so comfortable. Lots of other cats around, but none to play with. And all these strangers coming in and out. She missed her owner. The owner that gave her a boy’s name. The owner that didn’t mind that she curled up on her lap every evening after supper. The owner that was always considerate enough to heat her food. Oh, sure, Thomas had been mistress of the house – indeed, mistress of her owner –, but at least she liked the old lady.
Now she was here. In a cage. In an animal shelter. And she hated it. She pressed herself to the back of her cage and watched as strangers came and went. Some weren’t quite strangers: they were the ones who washed, fed, and exercised her. Some she hated right from the moment they walked in: they didn’t feel right or their voices were annoying or they smelled of other animals. Others were positively lovely, but after being passed by one too many times, Thomas had just decided she’d stop letting her hopes up. So she hid in the shadows of her cage and watched as other cats were adopted day after day.
There was nothing special about that day. Nothing new or exciting. But suddenly, someone bent down and looked directly into her eyes. Thomas couldn’t remember the last time a stranger noticed she was even there. If she wasn’t mistaken, the woman seemed a little surprised herself, as if she didn’t expect to see Thomas. The woman smiled – no, grinned – and murmured something about Thomas looking toothless. That was a little insulting. But she seemed nice enough.
The woman opened the cage door and slowly reached her hand in. Thomas wanted to at least check her out. But then, maybe she’d better just stay in the shadows. Or she could make a break for the door. Before she could decide though, the woman petted her. It felt nice, she had to admit. Even if the woman called her toothless again. Something about her bright eyes and black coat. Whatever that had to do with being toothless. But she pushed her head into the woman’s hand anyway. Felt her arm with her paws. Even perked up a little to get her to stay longer.
But just like every other time, the cage door closed on Thomas and the stranger left. She curled up and vowed to herself she’d never do that again. She closed her eyes in dejection and figured she might as well take a nap, but no sooner had she done so than the woman returned, opened the door, and gently lifted her out. “Come on, Toothless. I’m taking you home.”
“Toothless”? Again? Whatever. Thomas would put up with it because the operative word was “home”.
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
elanorelle
Contributor

Re: The Operative Word

Post by elanorelle » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:26 am

This is such a sweet story, Ariel. I think you did well with the cat's perspective and having two cat's, I'd say it's very believable. A job well done. ^.^
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:57 am

Haha, thanks, Elanor! "Toothless" (yes, I mentally named the RL cat that since I didn't look to see what its real name was) was just round, green-yellow eyes shining from the back of the cage when I first saw it. It didn't make any move to check me out like almost every other cat did when I paid attention, so I've just kinda been wondering. (Yeah, I'm weird like that.... :roll: )
knight and scribe
jesusgirl4ever

Post by jesusgirl4ever » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:43 am

That was cute, Ariel!
Lady Jaygee, Royal Pianist and Lover of Cats, Knight of TLC
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:55 pm

Thank you. :)
knight and scribe
elanorelle
Contributor

Post by elanorelle » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:43 am

Makes sense to wonder about it, I sure would and I often think of the past lives of skittish or shy animals I encounter. I sure hope that little kitty will find a nice home. :)
albero1
Knight
Location: SCREAMING because 21 Pilots just released a new song! *victory dance*

Post by albero1 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:22 am

Aw, so cute!!!
Lady Albero, Royal Vocalist and Scrivener of Fanfictions, Knight of TLC
Lyrics from House of Gold by Twenty One Pilots
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:29 pm