Three Cheers for Bogdan!

Novels, short stories, poems, essays (anything original and not derived from existing works)

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, Tenethia, White Rose

NarnianAtHeart
Fanatic: At the broken stone table

Three Cheers for Bogdan!

Post by NarnianAtHeart » Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:42 pm

This is a story I wrote a while ago. Tell me what you think :)
*I cannot take all the credit for this story, I wrote it with the help of a friend*
When I wrote this story there had to be an element of history, and mythology. Hence the Thunderbird.
It is set in Northern Russia.
Enjoy!

CHAPTER 1

Princess Anastassia was an ardently devoted, seventeen-year-old princess who was admired by all and had a multitude of suitors. She was the daughter of King Andros and Queen Calina of Russia.
At 8 o’clock one morning when she was not at breakfast, her father sent Dmitrik, her servant, to her room to make sure that she was fine, and to see if she would be attending breakfast. In a couple of minutes, Dmitrik came careening through the palace at top speed. “She's gone!” he panted.
“What do you mean she’s gone?” Andros boomed. “I mean, she’s gone, vanished. '' repeated Dmitrik. “Her room is a mess, her maids are lying on the ground dead. It's a disaster!” With that, the king charged to Anastassia’s room, taking the steps four at a time. Calina just sank into her chair, pale white; almost in a faint, overtaken with grief at what she had heard.
When Andros got to Anastassia’s room, he saw everything that Dmitrik had said was true. Anastassia's lady in waiting, Tatiana, hanging from the bed with half of her body perforated on the floor, perfume bottles shattered on the ground, windows smashed, dresses strewn everywhere, and three more servants dead on the floor.
When breakfast continued, the table was silent and the King and Queen did not have an appetite. They just poked at their food, their cheeks stained with tears. Andros comforted Calina gently. It’s alright my dear. We will find her. The perpetrators will pay!” he added in a much louder, deeper voice.
Later, the King called a meeting of all the servants, Lords and Ladies in the palace. Are any of you aware of the whereabouts of Princess Anastassia?” There was no sound except the occasional child shouting or a cart clattering down the street. “Please,” Queen Calina said, “if she was taken, let us know. If none of you took her, let us send someone to look for her. Would thou inflict such agony on Andros and I?”
“I shall hold all of you at your word,” said the King after a moment's pause. “Such a discovery will cause your safety and security to be jeopardized, and to anyone who finds her, a great reward awaits.” All the knights scrambled to the door immediately. They all wanted to find her, for they knew that the King was extremely wealthy and the reward would be great.
Last edited by NarnianAtHeart on Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Since it is so likely that children will meet cruel enemies, let them at least have heard of brave knights and heroic courage....."
-C.S. Lewis
NarnianAtHeart

Re: Three Cheers for Bogdan!

Post by NarnianAtHeart » Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:43 pm

CHAPTER 2

Bodgan awoke with a start. He had been dreaming about Anastassia again. The group of knights that had left the palace with so much enthusiasm three and a half months ago had numbered three scores and seven had dwindled to a little more than one score. He had been dreaming about what had started their whole adventure. He had not dreamed about anything else since it happened.
Later, as they rode along, Bogdan thought about how many men they lost when they had encountered the sorcerer riding on a terrible beast. Zhivago had told them that it was a Thunderbird. Indeed, it was terrible and strong enough to lift two men on their horses and drop them from up in the air, letting them fall to their death. He knew that because he had witnessed it himself. If he had not, he would not have believed it.
One of the King’s scouts had returned, saying that he had found the tower of the sorcerer. A little while after he told the location, he fell dead. Bodgan figured he would need a potion or something magical to fight the sorcerer just so he did not get killed instantly.
As a group of knights hunted and collected food on a bright, yet cold day, they saw the Thunderbird. Bogdan bravely drew his sword and walked up to the sorcerer, who had slid off the Thunderbird. “Beware, beware. Surrender or be destroyed!” Bogdan thought the sorcerer’s voice was that of fingernails scratching on a chalkboard.
After returning to camp, Bogdan told Kostya of the message. “You saw them Thunderbird an sorcerer, eh? Well, me tell yer this. I ain’t goin’ nowhere till we find them Tsarina! I die fer I go back! If I went back I’d die of ignominy!” The knights ate hard black bread, porridge and whatever berries and the few nuts they had found.
As they started, they found a Siberian Bighorn Sheep. Everyone gave shouts of joy for they had not had fresh meat in so long. They all fell upon it with their axes and swords. Ten knights then proceeded to cut and clean the meat. Bodgan and his friend Motka started a fire out of twigs and brambles. They all had a small piece of mutton and saved the rest for later. They then proceeded to remount and continue their journey.
Apon remounting, they saw a little village. Kostya told them that they would try to get as far down into the valley as they could tonight. Tomorrow, they would continue, and hopefully arrive at the village.
That same day, they made it to the village. Just as they were entering the city, they heard a voice behind them. “If you’ve come to get us to pay tribute to His Highness, King Andros the Fifth, we don’t got the money.”
“We ain’t here to make you penniless. We are here on a long and arduous journey to find princess Anastassia at the King’s command,” Bodgan said. “We will not harm the village or its inhabitants. Our only request is shelter for our heads, stabling for our horses and food and warmth for us.”
“Where are we anyway?” asked Motka.
“You have entered Oymyakon,” said Jermijia, the man who greeted them. They continued their journey two days later. They had all felt out of place, sleeping in beds, and eating at a table. When they had been loaded with fresh supplies, a goat, and a cage of chickens, they bade everyone at Oymyakon farewell and rode off.
Last edited by NarnianAtHeart on Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Since it is so likely that children will meet cruel enemies, let them at least have heard of brave knights and heroic courage....."
-C.S. Lewis
NarnianAtHeart

CHAPTER 3

Later, when they were all weary, they saw a cloud of dust in the distance. “Fortify yerself fer combat,” said Kostya tiredly.
Bodgan saw a cloud of dust. “You mustn’t shoot! It’s the King’s banner! There's Fyodor, one of the King's finest warriors!” These knights were not ordinary men. They were not only among the King’s most skillful warriors, but were also tough, battle-hardened Siberians. They numbered 5 scores.
A shout of joy rose from the remaining 1 score men in the army. A variety of foods, animals, and supplies were brought along. At that feast, everyone had a wonderful time together.
As the army advanced due north, Bodgan saw a shape in the distance. He did not know that it was the tower of the sorcerer. It took 3 days to get close enough to see that it was a tower. It took another eventful day to see that it was a magic tower, and another to get there. I will describe to you the events of the journey to the tower.
On day three, Kostya discovered, by accident, that he was looking at a tower. He found out about this when his horse bolted. He then saw the Thunderbird. The tower was presumably where the sorcerer lived.
On day 4, they rode on, and came to the edge of the cliff. They estimated that the bottom was 100 feet down. At the bottom, was a flooded river. As they rode along the edge of the precipice, they looked for a bridge or anything that they and their horses could cross. Zhivago found a bridge, hollered to the others to join him, and started across with another knight in front of him. The knight stepped on a loose board and fell through. He and his horse were swallowed up by the waves in 5 minutes. “Get back!” yelled Zhivago. “The bridge is not safe! Get back!”
They all got off the bridge and looked for another way of crossing. They spent the rest of the afternoon this way, and finally, Danilka found a bridge that would hold them. When they were halfway across, the Thunderbird came out of nowhere right in the middle of the bridge. Immediately, the army started shooting bows and throwing at the Thunderbird, but they just bounced right back.
With his explosive bow, Fyodor was able to only shoot down a feather and claw. Bodgan bravely picked the claw up, and drove it into a Thunderbird. For a moment, nothing happened. The beast soon fell off the bridge, and drowned in the hungry river below. He looked behind him, and he saw all the other knights changing. They all became broader, their faces changed to that of the Kings, hard yet gentle, they looked invincible. Bodgan knew that they would be able to fight the sorcerer, without being killed. “What happened?” Kostya asked in wonder, for he now knew the sorcerer had captured Anastasia.
“If only that vile sorcerer had been with this vile beast of his” muttered Bogdan to none in particular. “Yes,” replied some of the men who had heard his remark. Zhivago said, “That rogue will be sore when he finds that his beast is dead.” Everyone laughed. Bogdan, wanting to get the last laugh said, “He is going to get a worse surprise when he smells you, Zhivago.” He got the laugh that he wanted, but then they decided that it was time to get more serious.
“We need to get to the tower and defeat the rogue who took the princess as soon as possible,” said Bogdan “we do not know if this power will stay, or if it is just temporary. I say we keep going and do not stop until we are thoroughly exhausted. Any objections?” Everyone agreed; for it turns out that when Bogdan had stabbed the beast and when they had all changed, they had suddenly become refreshed and were not weary in the slightest. They weren’t the only ones who benefited from the Thunderbird. Their horses never grew weary, and they never stopped riding all night.
It wasn't because they were tired that they stopped, but because their horses could not go on. Bogdan suggested stopping for the night because they expected to reach the sorcerer’s tower the next day. They would have to make sure they were well-rested when they came upon him.
Last edited by NarnianAtHeart on Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-C.S. Lewis
NarnianAtHeart

CHAPTER 4

On the following day, they made it as planned to the enigmatic tower of the sorcerer. When they arrived at the foot of the tower they did not hear or see anything. Maybe he left, taking the princess with him,” Bogdan said sadly.
“No,” said Kostya. “The sorcerer and Anastassia are still there.
“I think we should send some of us up.” said Motka, “Leave the bulk of the force at ground level to surround the tower in case the sorcerer tries to flee. Bogdan, you take your 50 men, and go into the tower. Try to find Anastassia, and don’t let the sorcerer get away. The rest of us can also cut off the sorcerer if he tries to escape. We will wait here, and help if you need it. Agreed??
“Yes sir!” everyone said in unison.
“All right,” Bogdan said. “Fyodor, Zhivago and Kostya, you and your squad stay here. Motka, you and your men come with me. What should our call for help be?”
“What about a wolf howl? I’m pretty good at one” said Motka.
“Great. Forward troops!”
As they advanced toward the tower, Bogdan thought about Anastassia, and wondered if she was alright. Bogdan knew he would find out soon enough. They made it to the tower, and snuck inside. The sorcerer obviously didn’t expect an attack, because he had no guards on duty. They soon made it to the place where the sorcerer was eating dinner. Bodgan’s troops stayed outside the door, and the rest pounced on the sorcerer. His back was to the door, so he didn’t see them, and Bogdan’s men took him by surprise. Bodgan slipped away to find Anastassia. He found her in the attic; malnourished and weak, but alive. He carried her down stairs to where the troops were fighting the sorcerer.
Amidst the commotion, Bogdan saw the sorcerer slip out the window. “Wait here with Motka,” Bogdan said urgently to Anastassia as he gently put her down. The troops that were stationed outside had gone in to fight. This gave the sorcerer ample time to escape before anyone noticed. Bogdan ran down the stairs, and after the sorcerer. Anastassia alerted Motka about Bogdan and the escape of the sorcerer, and he may need help. Motka whistled, and everyone became quiet. “Men,” he said. “Bogdan has run after the sorcerer, and will need help post-haste. I will go after him. Anastassia will tell you about what you are to do. I leave Zhivago incharge. Goodbye!”
Anastassia explained about the troops in the basement. They used the same strategy that they used for the sorcerer, and quickly overtook 2 score knights. They took the knight's captive on their horses, made a rampage of the tower, and stripped it of everything valuable. Most of the valuables were found in a secret tunnel. When Zhivago tore a picture of the wall, he found a safe. Inside was money and coins. When they had emptied the safe, Zhivago noticed the back had an odd shape. When he tapped on it, it sounded hollow. He took it off the wall. Once he had gotten it off the wall, he saw a hole, just big enough for him to slide through. When he did, he entered a room with a candle burning.
What he saw astounded him. He saw by the light of the candle, a room full of treasure. The treasure was alexandrite, tapestries, jewels, gemstone watches, a gold and diamond owl. There were also treasures that had been missing for years like jeweled Easter eggs, a 2,930-gem necklace, gold encrusted swords, shields and armor, the only Florentine gem ever found, and even a royal casket from Valentina Astapkovich, the wife of King Andros’ great-grandmother. After all of these things had been loaded onto pack mules, Kostya and his men opted to stay at the tower, while the others located Bogan and Motka.
When Bogdan ran out of the castle, the sorcerer didn’t realize he was being followed until it was too late. Much to his disadvantage, he was on foot, and Bogdan on horseback. While Bogdan was galloping, he cleverly made a lasso out of rope. When he could, he threw the rope over the sorcerer, and brought the sorcerer in. He was unaware of Thunderbird's death, nor did he know of Bogdan's new power due to it. He tried to use his wand to overpower Bogdan, but all that did was bewitch himself.
By this time, Motka had caught up with Bogdan. The two bound the sorcerer, tied him to Motka’s horse, and made their way back to the tower. When they got there, they saw a caravan of horses, ponies, and pack mules, all covered in precious items.
“Three cheers to Bogdan! The hero of the day!” Everyone cried happily. “He caught the sorcerer!”
It was a happy day to say the least. On the way home, nothing of importance happened. If you could ask Bogdan today, you would find nothing about the trip home because he was so focused on Anastassia.
When they got back to the palace, the king, queen, court, and all the city were waiting. They had heard that the princess had been freed and was coming home. Some of the people of the city ran out to greet them but most were content to wait for the procession to come and then came to greet them. When the hugging and crying was done, Bogdan related his story, and Anastassia likewise told hers. Then Andros said, as promised, that Bogdan could marry his daughter.
At the wedding, Anastassia looked especially beautiful in her dress with its rich hues of red, blue and gold lace wedding dress. Bogdan thought that he could never get tired of looking at her. After the ceremony, they had a big ball. The next day, they rode off into the distance on their honeymoon.
When Bogdan and Anastassia came back from their honeymoon, they found a palace waiting for them, adorned with the jewels they helped uncover. King Andros crowned Bogdan as Prince Pyotr. Anastasia bore him thirteen healthy children. Both parents lived to a ripe old age, and Pyotr never fully understood why he had been deserving enough to marry Anastasia.
As for the sorcerer, he was put in jail. He was found guilty on the charge of theft (the gems) and attempted murder (for what he planned to do to Annastasia).
The End
-C.S. Lewis
hobbit_of_narnia
Knight
Location: ♫ What's this holding me? I'm not where I'm supposed to be! ♪♫

Post by hobbit_of_narnia » Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:41 pm

This was a fun story to read! The part where the Thunderbird could only be killed by its own feather was very creative. Since it was immune to normal attacks I had been wondering how you were going to get it out of the way.
If somebody has an idea for a Narnia comic that they weren't planning on making themselves, I <------ This offer still
would be so grateful if they would send it to me in a PM. I am running appallingly low on ideas...! <-- stands. :)
NarnianAtHeart

Post by NarnianAtHeart » Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:32 pm

Thanks!
-C.S. Lewis

Return to “Original Works”