My life is Narnia

Forum-based games with a Narnian twist

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, jesusgirl4ever, Ajnos

NarnianAtHeart
Fanatic: At the broken stone table

Re: My life is Narnia

Post by NarnianAtHeart » Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:52 pm

I found a recipe for Turkish delight, and immediately started quoting Narnia!

MLIN
"Since it is so likely that children will meet cruel enemies, let them at least have heard of brave knights and heroic courage....."
-C.S. Lewis
daughterofeve3
Regular: Meeting Father Christmas

Post by daughterofeve3 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:31 pm

I don't why I never shared this before. When I was a little girl (5 or 6) there was a family of Beavers living in my backyard. They would always come out after it rained and run around the yard. I would watch them from my brother's window and imagine what they were saying. This was before I knew about Narnia.
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:03 am

Came across this impassioned speech in Frankenstein, of all things:

"... Did you not call this a glorious expedition? And wherefore was it glorious? Not because the way was smooth and placid as a southern sea, but because it was full of dangers and terror; because at every new incident your fortitude was to be called forth and your courage exhibited, because danger and death surrounded it, and these you were to brave and overcome. For this was it a glorious, for this was it an honourable undertaking. You were hereafter to be hailed as the benefactors of your species, your names adored as belonging to brave men who encountered death for honour and the benefit of mankind. And now, behold, with the first imagination of danger, or, if you will, the first mighty and terrific trial of your courage, you shrink away and are content to be handed down as men who had not strength enough to endure cold and peril.... Oh! be men, or be more than men, Be steady to your purposes and firm as a rock. ... Return as heroes who have fought and conquered and who know not what it is to turn their backs on the foe."

Somewhere in the midst of the stirring of my own emotions, it brought to mind Reepicheep especially (he'd think it a fine speech) but Dawn Treader more broadly.
MLIN
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:55 am

Dr John MacArthur has done a character-study series on the twelve apostles, and his description of Thomas sounded familiar. In particular, in his analysis of John 11:16: Thomas says that the disciples ought to go to Judea with Jesus and "die with Him", which is indicates:
- decisive initiative on his part (taking a leadership position among them in this moment)
- the bravery of a pessimist (being sure that Jesus would die, and yet being willing to go himself anyway)
- and a declaration of love (through an attitude of "better to die with Him than to live without Him")

As soon as I heard that, I thought, "So he's Puddleglum."
Now I both understand Thomas better and appreciate Puddleglum a little more than I already had.

MLIN
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
justicerose
Newbie: Looking into Wardrobes

Post by justicerose » Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:18 pm

Ariel.of.Narnia wrote:
Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:27 am
Checking out a site that specializes in personalized items. Came across an etched-glass clock design featuring a flowering branch and an inscription reading "Remembering you as time goes by." Immediately thought of "Remembering You." MLIN
If you are still interested in the personalized item then you would check out personally yours books. This amazing brand offers personalized books, music CDs and photo personalized DVDs to create an amazing, customized learning experience for kids.

Return to “Narnian Fun and Games”