Marvel Movies *SPOILERS* Thread

The meeting place of TLC for conversation that doesn't always include Narnia.

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, Tenethia, Lucy Took

Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Re: Marvel Movies *SPOILERS* Thread

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:31 pm

Yeah, I don't think they've given any details yet. Or at any rate, I haven't heard anything.

But I did see the trailer for Inhumans and I'm weirdly excited. Excited in the hopeful sort of way, anyway. Literally everything I know about the characters listed on IMDb comes from a mobile game I play and quick scanning of articles on the Marvel wiki, but something about the way they portrayed Black Bolt has me interested enough.

In other news, there's a stinkin' /scene/ of Vulture released for Spider-Man. Not. Cool. They clearly haven't slapped the hand of the marketing guy(s) for all these spoilers.
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
Lil
Site Admin

Post by Lil » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:58 pm

Ariel.of.Narnia wrote:Yeah, I don't think they've given any details yet. Or at any rate, I haven't heard anything.

But I did see the trailer for Inhumans and I'm weirdly excited. Excited in the hopeful sort of way, anyway. Literally everything I know about the characters listed on IMDb comes from a mobile game I play and quick scanning of articles on the Marvel wiki, but something about the way they portrayed Black Bolt has me interested enough.

In other news, there's a stinkin' /scene/ of Vulture released for Spider-Man. Not. Cool. They clearly haven't slapped the hand of the marketing guy(s) for all these spoilers.
I saw that trailer too, Ariel! It makes it look like the blue-eyed puppy face guy is the victim/protagonist. But apparently he's not? (I mean I was reading the article Wikipedia and he has the name of the villain dude apparently?)
Avvie by Siberian Christmas. Signature by Ariel of Narnia

"Maybe Redemption has stories to tell. Maybe forgiveness is right where you fell. Where can you run to escape from yourself? Where you gonna go? Salvation is here." - Dare You to Move (Switchfoot.)
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:02 am

"Blue-eyed puppy face guy"? You mean Maximus? Yeah, he's definitely the baddie. Kinda the Loki to Black Bolt's Thor, in a manner of speaking (ie: wanting the throne).

So, I saw Spider-man: Homecoming. It will require another viewing and more mulling for complete thoughts, but here are a few:
- I liked that, while this wasn't an origin story, it still featured Spidey still trying to figure things out. He makes rookie mistakes, he's doesn't know how to balance his personal life with superhero-ing, such-like.
- Having a best friend "in the know" allowed for someone for Peter to talk to (and also allowed for some funny stuff).
- The sort-of-there mentorship from Tony Stark ("sort-of" 'cause he's not in the movie as much as the trailers imply) was a nice dynamic. Gives Peter a guiding hand in the absence of Uncle Ben.
- We actually get to know the villain some. He's not the strong villain Loki is, but he's not forgettable like others.
- The character development was good. Peter definitely walks out of this movie more mature.
- Every movie has one or multiple scenes in which the hero experiences a sort of "death, burial, and resurrection". Spidey's was really good. It may be one of the best I've seen. Definitely the best of the MCU.
- I do have to mention the seriously unfortunate instances of language, a mean name, a sour joke, and a crude gesture. Really knocked some points off. Not only because I don't like those things at the best of times (is there really a "best of times", though?), but because they just really didn't fit. At all. :? Way to ruin a good thing, Marvel.
knight and scribe
Lil
Site Admin

Post by Lil » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:58 am

Ariel.of.Narnia wrote:"Blue-eyed puppy face guy"? You mean Maximus? Yeah, he's definitely the baddie. Kinda the Loki to Black Bolt's Thor, in a manner of speaking (ie: wanting the throne).
Sorry It's not a great description, but it was the impression the trailer gave me. I was like "Poor widdle-Oh wait...!"

"Maybe Redemption has stories to tell. Maybe forgiveness is right where you fell. Where can you run to escape from yourself? Where you gonna go? Salvation is here." - Dare You to Move (Switchfoot.)
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:20 am

Haha! Hey, if they make him at least somewhat relatable, I'll be down for it!
knight and scribe
Lil
Site Admin

Post by Lil » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:58 pm

Hey guys so Facebook showed me another add for Thor: Ragnarock sp? with a new trailer. Best moments far are Thor and Banner talking and a door? Or something opening on Loki's who's been wrapped in chains. "Surprise!" He says in his falsely cheery voice. While it doesn't give much away there is a scene of what looks like Loki and Thor holding giant blaster cannon things and shooting them at guards? in a place they have just entered. Maybe Loki will be working with Thor, but it's hard to tell. If Thor looses his hammer? I wonder what weapon he takes up next. Or if there is a way to get it back? Or a new one. Hela says "I thought you'd be happy to see me" to someone, but I'm not sure if it's in sarcasm or not.

Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:59 am

I just watched the trailer you mentioned, Lil.

Loki, per the usual, steals the show, heh-heh. And yeah, it's looking like his time on the throne (as seen at the end of Dark World) was cut short, possibly by Hela. At any rate, he seems to be in the same place Thor and Banner are -- OH! I just realized. I think Thor is on Earth when Hela crushes his hammer. The background does not look at all like Asgard. So perhaps this fight happens while Thor, Loki, and Doctor Strange are looking for Odin? Anyway. Yeah. Looks like they're allies this time around. Until, you know, the next time Loki stabs Thor's back 'cause we all know that's gonna happen again sooner or later.
Lol, Banner's disbelief that Thor would actually beat the Hulk.
Okay, I have to address Eomer as Skurge. I haven't decided yet whether I think he looks great or if I'm still reeling from the shock that it's Eomer. But despite all that extra padding to make him look appropriately big, his head doesn't look too small, so that's a good thing. Looks like he's joined the villain roster too (wasn't sure if he would or not, just because he kinda became a good guy toward the end of the Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes cartoon).
Is it weird that I'm thrown off by a not-white, not-blonde Valkyrie but I'm totally cool with a black Heimdall? That's gotta be weird right? Either way, here's hoping that she's unique enough to avoid being a copy-paste of Sif.
Looks like Heimdall and Fandrall went underground, probably after Hela took Asgard. Wonder if Sif, Hogan, and Volstagg are with them.... (Because, yes, they are listed on IMDB.)
Regarding Thor's new weapon, he uses a sword against Hela, but I dunno if that'll be a permanent thing. Regarding his hammer... (highlight as this is a potential spoiler I picked up) it may be that Doctor Strange will restore it, as he apparently has done in the comics. Seems that he retains thunder/lightning power just fine without it though (unless they just edited out the hammer for that shot).
AW, NO, WHAT?! THEY'RE JAMMING SURTUR INTO THIS ALREADY-BLOATED MASS?!
(Also, what's with the uber-colourful poster? And the weird video-gamey fonts?)

Aaaaaall of that to say: Marvel has still not convinced me to see it in theaters. As it stands right now, the only things I want to see it for are Loki and to find out what happened to Odin. I'm still doubtful that this movie can actually pull off three or four locations (Earth, Asgard, Battleworld, possibly somewhere else unless Heimdall and Fandrall are just in a part of Asgard we've never seen before) and so many characters.
knight and scribe
Lil
Site Admin

Post by Lil » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:47 pm

I saw a meme the other day comparing Thor:Ragnarock font to the old MS-Word word and I laughed because it was right on. I don't know if I'll see it (though this trailer actually has me more interested.)

Another thing that gives me pause is that Marvel is owned by Disney, Disney who is that big battle with Vid Angel. As someone who loved VidAngel, and felt the services were helpful/Useful I generally have been waiting for Disney movies to come out so I can rent them without feeling like I'm giving money to Disney to fight against VidAngel.

ShiofNarnia
Knight

Post by ShiofNarnia » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:00 am

So I just watched Thor 1&2 for the first time. Not super impressed. They were entertaining, but basically I just love Loki. How can you not love Tom Hiddleston? ;) Not being a huge fan of super hero movies, it's kinda hard to impress me with them. I love the idea, but I have not found very many that I like. The two that I do really like are the new Spider-Man movie and Batman Begins. (I understand Batman is not Marvel and this is a Marvel thread so sorry about that :) ).
Lady Shi, Royal Photographer and Otter Keeper
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:30 am

@Shi: Loki is literally the best thing to happen to the Thor movies. He's got such character and depth that he ends up being significantly more interesting than Thor. And yes, Tom Hiddleston does a stellar job with the role.
(If you want to talk about Batman Begins, there is a DC thread. I'd like to hear your thoughts! :) )
knight and scribe

Return to “The Bird and Baby”