Marvel Movies *SPOILERS* Thread

The meeting place of TLC for conversation that doesn't always include Narnia.

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, Tenethia, Lucy Took

anunknownpevensie
Fanatic: At the broken stone table

Re: Marvel Movies *SPOILERS* Thread

Post by anunknownpevensie » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:30 am

I really liked the fact that in the Thor movies, the romance story was a lot more appropriate and old-fashioned like. Not that I wanted that in there at all, but the point being that it is better than other marvel movies in my opinion.
Tom Hiddleston is fabulous tho. He makes Loki soooo egregious. :D

And if you want me to respond to anything, you will have to quote me I am afraid.
Lil
Site Admin

Post by Lil » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:14 pm

I liked both Thor movies, 1&2 but I feel like I'm probably in the minority. Some people hate Jane, but I like her. Probably mean I'm not a very decerning film critic. Lol. Okay okay. I promise to stop harping about my love of the Thor movies. ;)
Avvie by Siberian Christmas. Signature by Ariel of Narnia

"Maybe Redemption has stories to tell. Maybe forgiveness is right where you fell. Where can you run to escape from yourself? Where you gonna go? Salvation is here." - Dare You to Move (Switchfoot.)
anunknownpevensie

Post by anunknownpevensie » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:50 pm

But Jane was fine tho.
She was well done.Why would people hate her?

I am a terrible film critic too XD

And if you want me to respond to anything, you will have to quote me I am afraid.
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:12 am

*raises hand* I'm part of the population who doesn't like Jane (but holds no grudge against those who do, don't worry ;) ). The below is purely my opinion and given for discussion purposes - I'd like to know why you two like her, actually!

My reason for not liking Jane is, very simply, "she bores me". The way I see it, she doesn't do anything except go storm-chasing (yes, okay, so it was scientific phenomenon, not a storm), hit Thor with her vehicle a couple times, take him back to his hammer, get an Asgardian magic/science lesson, decides she likes him, and... yep. Second movie isn't much better: she stumbles across the aether, becomes a person of interest to everyone because of it, gets it extracted from her, and then does something science-y with Selvig at the end that helps Thor defeat Malekith. In short, she is a passive character: things happen to her.

In contrast, I cared for Frigga much quicker and more deeply within a couple scenes of Thor 2 because I connected with her love for Loki, enjoyed her pre-invasion interaction with everyone, and dug how totally epic she was in the last few minutes of her life. She's a pretty small side character and doesn't get much screentime in which to shine, but she's a more active character.

That said, I don't dislike all passive characters. Cinderella ranks lower on my list of Disney Princesses because she's passive, but her nature keeps me rooted in the story. I don't get that with Jane. Nothing about her stands out. I don't feel like I know her and I don't really feel like getting to know her. We might get along in real life, I don't know, but as a movie character, she doesn't do anything for me. I prefer the version of her that was in the Earth's Mightiest Heroes cartoon, even though she only shows up briefly in, I think, four episodes and doesn't do a great deal there either, but there was enough in there for me to get to know her a little bit: she'll jump into harm's way to help someone, she provides an outside perspective for Thor, and she visits Avengers Manor one time partly to hang out with Wasp and partly hoping to see Thor (and she's able to take the teasing from Wasp about it).
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
anunknownpevensie

Post by anunknownpevensie » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:22 pm

Okay I really admired Jane's mind. She is willing to accept the unbelievable way sooner, and doesn't fall for Thor entirely because of his hair like her friend does. Also, she is brilliant at putting the pieces together, and with Eric they literally help destroy the most powerful dark elf. Plus, she isn't a super popular character with others as well, and I am both sympathetic and jealous. XD
I guess I really don't mind passive characters though, because I appreciate my mind not being overloaded by everyone playing the most important role. This is what happens in the Avengers and most other marvel movies with me. I get unfocused and I walk away with a dull brain. Thor didn't do that to me nearly as bad, so I am very biased towards the characters, fyi. :D :D ;)

I do see your point though. Most people like to see characters develop better or have a more significant role, especially if they are in a romance story.

Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:01 am

Kept on forgetting to post in here: I watched the pilot episodes of Inhumans. And I have thoughts.

I've seen better pilots. I've also seen worse. I think the show has potential, but it's a matter of execution, which I'm not confident is there, but we'll see.
Warning for an adult scene early on in the first episode. It's worse than what we have seen in Agents of SHIELD. It caught me quite by surprise, so... yeah. If you do watch it, you'll wanna avert your eyes right after the title sequence.
Speaking of, that title sequence doesn't look good, haha. The CGI follows suit. It's not horrible, but it's super-obvious. The best CGI is on Lockjaw, the teleporting dog.
Speaking of, I like Lockjaw, even though he technically doesn't do much. I also like Black Bolt (the guy the devestating voice) so far and my favourite scenes were of him on earth.
That said, I'm not into the characters yet the way I was with Agents of SHIELD. The big part of that being that the production quality is lacking all around; a small part being that there are things that aren't explained right. For example, I didn't quite realize that a flashback was happening until it was very obviously a flashback and I still don't understand one guy's powers or what exactly he did in one scene.
Unlike most of the internet, I don't mind most of the costumes. My only issues are Medusa's revealing pieces, Crystal's hair (what kind of dye job is that?!), and Black Bolt's crown.
One fight scene was simple enough, but fun. Another one was just bad.
Maximus (the bad guy) has two points of distraction: his height (he's 5'8", so it's noticeable when he's towered over by taller men and on a level with the women) and his Welsh accent that definitely slips through at times.
Some of the camera shots and editing choices strike me as odd. Just saying.
So overall, I'm giving it a 4-5 rating out of 10. You're not missing anything by not watching it, even though I'm hoping that it's just the Curse of Pilots in effect.
knight and scribe
anunknownpevensie

Post by anunknownpevensie » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:41 pm

Wow.
Thats all good to know. I was thinking of getting into it. However, I make it a point not to watch anything inappropriate at all if I can help it, so i shall not look into the show. :)
Then again I didn't like Agents of SHIELD because of that as well. So, I am sorta biased. XD

Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:33 pm

I knew that mentioning that problem scene would be useful to someone. :D
knight and scribe
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:18 am

Just watched the third episode of Inhumans. Execution of their idea is not going down so well. I get that, with the main cast being scattered as they are, we have to follow each of them individually, but it didn't feel as smooth or compelling as it could have been. (And again, the Black Bolt scenes were the ones that I was most interested in. I'm starting to wonder if I like him simply because of his silence. It makes his expressions and actions more meaningful, plus it puts him into situations that the others aren't facing.)
I also now know that I like more than just Black Bolt and Lockjaw. Gorgon's surfer buddies are scoring points in my book. And, weirdly, I find myself kinda liking one of the bad guys...? Even though her fight scenes aren't great (or believable, inhuman or not) and she really takes after Melinda May.
But I'm becoming more convinced that no one is missing anything by not watching the show.
knight and scribe
Lucy Took
Site Admin

Post by Lucy Took » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:23 pm

Thanks for the review, Ariel. I'd seen some trailers for Inhumans and I found the concept interesting, but the trailer looked awful. Now I know that it's deserving of it's low place on my possible watch list :P
Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.

Return to “The Bird and Baby”