do WE OOOOOOHHH (Doctor Who *SPOILERS*)

The meeting place of TLC for conversation that doesn't always include Narnia.

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, Tenethia, Lucy Took

Shield Maiden
Knight

do WE OOOOOOHHH (Doctor Who *SPOILERS*)

Post by Shield Maiden » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:50 pm

*River Song voice* spoilers...

I know that Doctor Who used to be pretty big here - is anyone still into it? Thoughts? Theories? Fangirling moments?
Team Cap. Sig made by Ariel.
Ajnos
Site Admin

Re: do WE OOOOOOHHH (Doctor Who *SPOILERS*)

Post by Ajnos » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:27 pm

Thanks so much for this Shield!!! There hasn't been a DW thread on here since I started watching DW which is a scandal. I keep meaning to start one, but never get around to it.

I'm not going to say anything just yet because if I start I won't stop. I got very addicted in a rather short space of time. (Thanks Oxford - and equally addicted/addictable friends!!!). I have a bunch of theories and some questions I might throw out at some point but I'll leave that for once the discussion gets going.
Thank you for the set Happy!!

Born a Daughter of Eve; Now a Daughter of the Second Adam
cor
Knight

Post by cor » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:38 pm

FINALLY! A DOCTOR WHO THREAD! Thanks, Shield!!!! Like Ajjie I won't say anything now until there is a conversation going.
*is such a cocky shapechanger*
I am Kili to Gypse's Fili. And apparently to Alex's Legolas...
*is a Bore sitting on my Bor's head*
Shield Maiden
Knight

Post by Shield Maiden » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:55 pm

*spoilers for series 8*

I finally got caught up last night...and I have a few questions (either I missed something in the episode or this is an invitation for theories). I'm really confused about the finale - like how did the Master survive? We saw him shot way back in Series 3 (?) and he DIED and it was SUPER EMOTIONAL and HOW??!!??!?

????????

?????

???????????????????

Also why do the dinosaurs always have to die? I'm eagerly awaiting the episode where they go back to dinosaur times (actually in the episode, not in reference) and a dinosaur /doesn't/ die.

Also about the Pompeii episode (series 4). We know that Peter Capaldi was in it. Was BBC just really short on actors or is this going to come back? My theory is that after Clara dies (or if she leaves for an extended period of time), 12 goes travelling on his own (kinda like 10 did) and ends up going back to Pompeii and spending some time there for whatever reason.

Thoughts?
narnialove
Novice: Staying with the Beavers

Post by narnialove » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:43 pm

I just got some bad news. Something happened with BBC and now they are taking the majority of their shows off Netflix, including Doctor Who. There is a chance they will come back though.
Ajnos
Site Admin

Post by Ajnos » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:07 pm

Two responses to Shield's questions. On the Master question: have you seen the David Tennant special two-parter End of Time? (It was Tennant's last two eps where he regenerates at the end, and they were part of about 5 special eps after Series 4). Mild spoilers, but that's really the last time we saw the Master and considering what happens to him there, it's possible he somehow survived (especially after the stuff that happened in Day of the Doctor with Gallifrey being saved). So yeah, it's not too difficult for him to still be around. Also, the Master never stays dead - I mean, they never explained how he survived after the TV movie because there he was already living on a borrowed life since he'd already used up all his regenerations before that.

On the Peter Capaldi question: When he was announced as the new Doctor, Stephen Moffat said he had a plan for explaining the duplicate. Apparently Capaldi also played a (not-very-nice) character in Torchwood and at the time Russel T Davies said he had an idea for explaining why there were two characters (the Pompeii one and the Torchwood one) with the same face. When Capaldi became the Doctor, Moffat phoned RTD and asked if the plan could still work and he said "yes". I'm really curious as to what it is because obviously the original explanation had nothing to do with the Doctor being one of them or being able to regenerate as someone he'd seen before/travel back in time as the same person etc. So as much as I like fan theories about the Pompeii guy being Twelve having gone back in time (my favourite heart-breaking one being just so he could see Donna again) I don't think he's the same person. In Deep Breath, he made a comment when he saw his reflection about recognising it and wondered "what message he was trying to send to himself". I was hoping they'd make some reference to it when they went to the volcano planet in Dark Water, but they didn't. There's also the interesting fact that he wakes up by a volcano in this recent Christmas Special. I'm really hoping it's a good explanation and not something stupid and artificial. Unfortunately, Rule 1: Moffat lies :P

Shield Maiden
Knight

Post by Shield Maiden » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:28 pm

I have seen all of the Tennant specials, yes. I was just confused because we saw the Master very pointedly refuse to regenerate just to spite 10, but I've seen some explanations (especially given the 50th and Matt Smith's regeneration episode) and it's also been a significantly long time since I've seen that particular episode, so I'm having a hard time remembering exactly what happened.
Ajnos
Site Admin

Post by Ajnos » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:01 am

The scene where he refuses to regenerate is at the end of Series 3. End of Time explains how he gets out of that one and ends with him [spoiler] being sucked back into the Time War with the rest of the Time Lords, perfectly alive.[end spoiler]

(Do we really need to spoiler-block in a thread with "spoilers" in the title? ;) )

In other news, sounds like Netflix US is keeping its BBC programmes. So I'll just sit here and mope about the fact we don't have Netflix in South Africa and that the only legal way to watch Doctor Who in the country is to physically import DVDs or pay a US $70 subscription to a satellite company that gives you BBC South Africa which might occasionally decide to show Doctor Who at rather inconvenient times, if it feels like it.

cor
Knight

Post by cor » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:32 am

@Narnialove NooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
*is such a cocky shapechanger*
I am Kili to Gypse's Fili. And apparently to Alex's Legolas...
*is a Bore sitting on my Bor's head*
Lucy Took
Site Admin

Post by Lucy Took » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:40 am

*Pulls out Handy Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and reads the cover*

Don't Panic.

Seriously, don't panic. Netflix announced that they're keeping the most popular Brit shows on Netflix America, including Doctor Who.

(Variety is no associated with TLC, no guarantees on ads, click off page at own risk, dragons, trolls, ect,ect,ect)
Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.

Return to “The Bird and Baby”