What have you been watching?

The meeting place of TLC for conversation that doesn't always include Narnia.

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, Tenethia, Lucy Took

daughterofaslan
Fanatic: At the broken stone table

Re: What have you been watching?

Post by daughterofaslan » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:32 pm

@Tooky: *giggles*

@Ela: Hmm.... It looks like a little kid's show, but I guess I'll try it. XD
Set made by Hobbit. Thank you!
Daughter of Aslan (Also known as Dazzle)
Sister of Chess and Pev
ShiofNarnia
Knight

Post by ShiofNarnia » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:34 am

@Dazzle: The Conputer Wore Tennis Shoes!! I've seen it! I love the Dexter Riley movies! Have you seen anymore? My favorite is Now You See Him, Now You Don't.

@Ella: Aw, The Land Before Time is so cute. The first one, right? The second one is cute too.
Lady Shi, Royal Photographer and Otter Keeper
elanorelle
Contributor

Post by elanorelle » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:37 pm

@Shi:Yep, that's the one.

Watched some of America's Got Talent.
Shield Maiden
Knight

Post by Shield Maiden » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:05 pm

Whoah, Land Before Time. That's something I haven't heard of in ages.

I've been binge-watching Merlin...I'm almost done season 3. It's definitely well-done, but a little odd. I'm not exactly sure what my feelings about it are yet.
(Also, I keep seeing Bradley James as Peter. Every time.)
Team Cap. Sig made by Ariel.
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:51 am

@Shield: I'm re-watching Merlin myself! (Only got the pilot down so far, but I'll work on it....) I have mixed feelings about the magic (sometimes feels as uncomplicated and natural as in Narnia or LWW, other times feels more religious/occultic), but I love the characters and the humour (barring a couple instances).
(I've done that too. In fact, I used bits of Arthur and Merlin as Peter and Edmund in one of my fic trailers. However, the more I see of Arthur, the more I think of Cor. Quite possibly because Guinevere is dark-skinned like Aravis (and oh look, I used them in those roles for a fic cover...). :roll: :P )
Fair warning, the show ends rushed and feeling very incomplete.
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
Lucy Took
Site Admin

Post by Lucy Took » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:11 am

Yeah, mixed feelings on the magic in Merlin too. Sometimes it's totally fine, like you're born with it, you have no choice in the matter and that's that, you're born with magic is about the same as being born with a certain skin color and that is how the vast majority of Merlin's stuff is, it's just who he is. And then you get really weird stuff that crops up and it's not so innate with the setting. Though the majority of the time that Merlin magic crosses over from a fairy tale magic nature into black magic-esqu nature it's done by a villain, or at least someone on a downward spiral if I remember correctly.

That said my biggest problem is with the awefulness that was the ending. Just terrible.

....Probably does not help that I'm a hardcore Mergana shipper.
Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:42 pm

I think that's about right, Tooky. I don't recall Merlin himself going dark-magic-y in flavour, but... yeah.

Watched "Alive" last night. Really long, slow movie about the Miracle in the Andes incident, but still decent. Warning for some language (including an f-bomb) and cannibalism (of the dead).
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
hobbit_of_narnia
Knight
Location: ♫ What's this holding me? I'm not where I'm supposed to be! ♪♫

Post by hobbit_of_narnia » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:15 pm

Any advice on the 2004 "Phantom of the Opera", anyone? The IMDb parental guide wasn't very encouraging (particularly concerning costuming and, ahem, other similar things), but it's only rated for violence...so is it really as bad as it seems to be? :? I was given the movie as a gift and would very much like to watch it, but not if it would compromise my conscience or my parents' guidelines.
If somebody has an idea for a Narnia comic that they weren't planning on making themselves, I <------ This offer still
would be so grateful if they would send it to me in a PM. I am running appallingly low on ideas...! <-- stands. :)
Lucy Took
Site Admin

Post by Lucy Took » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:16 pm

It's been awhile since I've seen the Phantom movie, I think I've read the book since seeing it, but the violence is never something that really stuck out to me. There's a murder or two, but it's mostly off screen. The costuming is occasionally a little risque, but I don't remember any super glaring issues in that department that don't pop up in opera/ballet in general already.

But there are issues and these issues aren't in things that tend to be on the rating charts because it's all about the subtones of things and how you interpret certain scenes. A lot of the issues come from closely listening to the lyrics of songs and going "Did he just imply what I think he just implied?"

....In short there's not a ton of overt content in Phantom of the Opera but the subtext is /super/ creepy.
Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.
HermitoftheNorthernMarch
ROotL

Post by HermitoftheNorthernMarch » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:35 pm

Lucy Took wrote:Yeah, mixed feelings on the magic in Merlin too.
There are some parts with magic that I do feel uncomfortable watching and some parts I find really creepy in Series 5 (that might just be me, however). The magic is darker than magic in LotR, and the main character has magic [as should be obvious in a show called: Merlin]. Overall, the show is fun to watch and is sometimes a bit like Narnia and Lord of the Rings (especially in the tunnels in Series 1! It almost looks like PC in Aslan's How in some ways.)

Also, I don't remember there being any cussing, I might not be remembering everything, but it is nice to find a show like that nowadays.
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. If you really knew Me, you would know My Father as well." - John 14:6-7a

Return to “The Bird and Baby”