What have you been watching?

The meeting place of TLC for conversation that doesn't always include Narnia.

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, Tenethia, Lucy Took

Lil
Site Admin

Re: What have you been watching?

Post by Lil » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:47 am

I went yesterday to see the Mr Rogers documentary with my friend.
Avvie by Siberian Christmas. Signature by Ariel of Narnia

"Maybe Redemption has stories to tell. Maybe forgiveness is right where you fell. Where can you run to escape from yourself? Where you gonna go? Salvation is here." - Dare You to Move (Switchfoot.)
hobbit_of_narnia
Knight
Location: ♫ What's this holding me? I'm not where I'm supposed to be! ♪♫

Post by hobbit_of_narnia » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:30 pm

I just recently started watching "The Flash". There's some stuff in there that I really wish they'd left out, but other than that I'm really enjoying it. :)
If somebody has an idea for a Narnia comic that they weren't planning on making themselves, I <------ This offer still
would be so grateful if they would send it to me in a PM. I am running appallingly low on ideas...! <-- stands. :)
HermitoftheNorthernMarch
ROotL

Post by HermitoftheNorthernMarch » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:20 am

I watched A Wrinkle In Time. I'd read the book a couple times years ago, but unfortunately I can't remember enough to speak to the accuracy of this movie adaption (I had read that it had removed some of the references to Christianity). I did really like the relationships in Meg's family and how they stand up for each other and also that even though Meg is the main character, she's not always the bravest. I also like that it promotes being smart. The main negatives I saw were a suggestive comment and a number of references to being "One with the universe."
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. If you really knew Me, you would know My Father as well." - John 14:6-7a
Lil
Site Admin

Post by Lil » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:06 pm

Sounds about right, Hermit! (I must admit I've only read reviews of it, and never seen the movie or read the book.) I do remember the general consensus of what I'd read was that it wasn't at like the book, that they'd left out the christianity and some important parts that made the story work and turned it into a generic magic story about 'finding yourself' and growing up and all that. Perhaps Plugged In Movies would be a good resource for those curious?
Avvie by Siberian Christmas. Signature by Ariel of Narnia

"Maybe Redemption has stories to tell. Maybe forgiveness is right where you fell. Where can you run to escape from yourself? Where you gonna go? Salvation is here." - Dare You to Move (Switchfoot.)
Lucy Took
Site Admin

Post by Lucy Took » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:22 pm

I read the book "A Wrinkle in Time" this year and haven't gotten around to the movie yet. Thanks for the review Hermit, I'll probably be watching it sometime in the near future.

As far as removing the references to Christianity...that doesn't surprise me. For one, it's Disney, I expect that from them. But also, the Christianity in Wrinkle in Time is....really unorthodox. It's really weird. In the context of a work of literature it works fine, it adds to the scope and color and background and adds some depth to the light vs. dark narrative. But on the other hand Disney didn't have to stretch too far to go to "One with the universe". Wrinkle in Time defiantly skews towards the mystic side of Christianity, more Charles Williams than C.S. Lewis.
Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.
jesusgirl4ever

Post by jesusgirl4ever » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:51 pm

So, I've recently seen Indivisible and The Nutcracker and the Four Realms.

Indivisible is a movie about an army chaplain who comes home from Iraq with PTSD, so...yeah. A heavy topic and heavy movie, but it was really good, so go see it if you're in the mood for a serious movie.

The Nutcracker and the Four Realms was also really good. The critics don't seem to like it, but I don't know why. It was intriguing, had a good message, and managed to surprise me. Also, I want the girl who played the lead to play Jill now (it was directed by the guy directing SC, and produced by the same company, so I do have some hope of that... ;) ).
Lady Jaygee, Royal Pianist and Lover of Cats, Knight of TLC
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:16 am

Just came back from Wreck-It Ralph 2. A couple of their choices were not ones I would have gone with, but besides that, it’s a good movie. There’s quite a bit to laugh at and a spot or two to hit you right in the feels. And because I’ve turned into a big softie, I have to admit to crying in one scene....
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
ShiofNarnia
Knight

Post by ShiofNarnia » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:20 am

@Ariel: I’ve been wanting to see that!

Recently I finished watching Sue Thomas F.B.Eye. I LOVE this show. It’s about a deaf lady who comes to work for the FBI and ends up using her lip-reading abilities to help
solve cases. There is lots of use of ASL, so obviously I loved that. It’s also super clean and funny. I would highly recommend. :)

The last movies I saw at the theatre were “Unbroken: Path to Redemption” and “Christopher Robin.”

“Unbroken: Path to Redemption” was SO GOOD. It is the sequel to “Unbroken” - which is a very heavy WWII movie - caution suggested in viewing. The first movie tells the story of Louis Zamperini, a POW survivor and his experiences during the war. The second deals with his life AFTER the war and his eventual conversion to Christianity.

“Christopher Robin” was also great and so charming. Very reminiscent and they nailed Winnie the Pooh. Definitely worth watching!
Lady Shi, Royal Photographer and Otter Keeper
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:34 am

THERE'S AN UNBROKEN SEQUEL?! How am I only hearing about this now?! (Um, yeah, to reiterate what Shi said about the first film, it's PG-13 for a reason.)

*edit: Okay, I looked up the trailer and now I know why I didn't hear of it. Completely different people involved across the board, so not exactly a sequel to the one already made. Still looks good though.
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
jesusgirl4ever

Post by jesusgirl4ever » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:03 pm

@Ariel: I really liked Wreck-It Ralph 2!

@Shi: SUE THOMAS FBEYE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT MIGHT JUST BE MY FAVORITE TV SHOW EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lady Jaygee, Royal Pianist and Lover of Cats, Knight of TLC

Return to “The Bird and Baby”