What have you been watching?

The meeting place of TLC for conversation that doesn't always include Narnia.

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, Tenethia, Lucy Took

Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Re: What have you been watching?

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:17 pm

@Jaygee: There was a lot to like to Wreck-Ot Ralph 2. And so much heart. :)

Meanwhile, I’m nearly done re-watching season two of my favourite tv show, Young Justice. Since season three comes out in a month and a day, I figured that a refresher on what details will be carried over were necessary. (Plus, I’ll take any excuse to watch Young Justice. Man, I love that show.... :roll: )
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
kristi
Site Admin

Post by kristi » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:29 pm

Rewatching Christopher Robin on Amazon. I love this movie. For kids it's a bit slow in the beginning after the initial opening, as the animated critters are offscreen and it's mostly dealing with Christopher's adult problems. But it really is so charming. I feel like it's a film that could have been made when I was growing up, with puppets instead of CGI, and could probably have pulled it off. Most of the real story is for grown-ups, though there's plenty for kids to like. One of Pooh's lines gets me right in the feels. Highly recommend.

I do confess that I'm not sure about the economic viability of the solution Christopher proposes to his boss in the end, but the rest of the film is charming enough to let this slide. Bonus points for putting Robert Sherman onscreen singing in the credits scene (and singing another song over the end credits)! He and his late brother Richard wrote the music to Winnie the Pooh, The Jungle Book, Small World, Mary Poppins, and my favorite version of Cinderella: The Slipper and the Rose. Hurrah for the tribute!
Lil
Site Admin

Post by Lil » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:25 am

Oh I want to see that one, Kristi!

I spent almost the entire day yesterday binging on the Dragon Prince on Netflix, and now I'm moving onto Trollhunters. No reviews yet.
Avvie by Siberian Christmas. Signature by Ariel of Narnia

"Maybe Redemption has stories to tell. Maybe forgiveness is right where you fell. Where can you run to escape from yourself? Where you gonna go? Salvation is here." - Dare You to Move (Switchfoot.)
ShiofNarnia
Knight

Post by ShiofNarnia » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:51 am

@Jaygee: It is definitely one of my favorite shows!!

@Ariel: oh yeah, I forgot to mention it was a different company! Haha but yeah, it was really good. :)
Lady Shi, Royal Photographer and Otter Keeper
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:40 am

Just got back from Spider-Man: Into the Spider-verse. There’s a lot to like: good story, character development, and themes. Lots of humour. Animation style is different but it works (some parts are kinda hard on the eyes, especially the opening credits; I don’t know if it’s seizure-inducing or not, since I have no experience with that, so it might be worth looking into for those who might have problems). There are two parts in particular, though, that I have to say that the violence is not super kid-friendly.
I didn’t love it, but I enjoyed it and had a good time.
knight and scribe
HermitoftheNorthernMarch
ROotL

Post by HermitoftheNorthernMarch » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:30 am

I liked the Spider-verse movie, but that may be because I generally like Spider-man related things. In this movie, Miles Morales is the main character and is trying to become Spider-man to follow in Peter Parker's footsteps. An interdimensional portal from other universes is opened and spider-powered people from other universes are thrown through it and wind up in Miles' world.
Basically the main messages of this movie are that you are not alone and that people are different and what works for one person might not work out the same for another.
Ariel is right in saying this isn't a kid's movie, it is violent and there are some sad parts. It's more family friendly than the PG-13 Marvel movies, but it is mostly based off of the Ultimate Comics (the actual comics by Bendis, not the tv show) Marvel used to make that were for teenagers and it has themes that are really going to be more age appropriate for teenagers. Also, there are a lot of inside jokes that are funnier if you are familiar with the comic books.
I'm not sure what to think of the animation. It's like they were trying to make it look 2D sometimes although it is 3D computer animation. It has a certain "wow" factor but is a little distracting at times because it is different from the Disney-Pixar-Dreamworks computer animation style.

Overall, I don't think it's a movie that everyone will like simply because there are already so many different Spider-man movie series and there are only so many times that they can tell the same story.

I also watched Kung-fu Panda 2 yesterday. It is so weird how it can turn from being ridiculously funny to emotional in the blink of an eye. In it, Po (the panda) is trying to find inner peace and find out about his family and where he came from since he is adopted. The movie has what I'm guessing is a Buddhist view of inner peace, but I still enjoyed it.
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. If you really knew Me, you would know My Father as well." - John 14:6-7a
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:42 pm

I think I disagree with you, Hermit, on wider audience enjoyment of Spider-verse. It does bear similarity to the commonly-known Peter Parker origin story (and they know it and totally poke fun at it), but it is a different story because Miles finds himself in different circumstances (and no Spider-Man movie has ever dealt with the multi-verse). I wouldn’t call myself a huge Spidey fan (though I love the Tom Holland take and what we see of Spidey in Earth’s Mightiest Heroes), but still had a good time; one of the two cousins I went with knows less of Spider-Man than I do and she had a grand time. Perhaps a few jokes went over our head, but there’s still loads of humour to appreciate.
But that’s my opinion. :)
knight and scribe
Lucy Took
Site Admin

Post by Lucy Took » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:44 pm

I've been watching...a lot of the Great British Bake Off lately. It's just one of the nicest shows ever made. It's lovely.

I've also been watching a smattering of those made for Netflix Hallmark rip off Christmas movies. They're terribly contrived and the plots have as many holes as Swiss cheese (and are even cheesier than that) but there's a wholesomeness to watching the Christmas Prince.
Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:11 am

Where have you been watching Great British Bake-Off? I tried to find it a couple months ago, but couldn’t.
knight and scribe
Lucy Took
Site Admin

Post by Lucy Took » Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:57 pm

All of the newest seasons are on Netflix now. :) They even added a Christmas/Holiday miniseries!
Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.

Return to “The Bird and Baby”