What have you been watching?

The meeting place of TLC for conversation that doesn't always include Narnia.

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, Tenethia, Lucy Took

Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Re: What have you been watching?

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:44 pm

Ah, that would do it. Thanks!
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
HermitoftheNorthernMarch
ROotL

Post by HermitoftheNorthernMarch » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:58 pm

Ariel.of.Narnia wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:42 pm
I think I disagree with you, Hermit, on wider audience enjoyment of Spider-verse.
That's great! It has wider appeal than I guessed.

Tooky, my sister was watching a British baking show on PBS. Is this the one where they cook in an event tent in a field?
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. If you really knew Me, you would know My Father as well." - John 14:6-7a
Luthien
Knight

Post by Luthien » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:18 pm

Lucy Took wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:44 pm
I've been watching...a lot of the Great British Bake Off lately. It's just one of the nicest shows ever made. It's lovely.
I must agree that it is one of the nicest shows ever made. I have tried watching some other cooking shows with various friends, and they are anything but nice. In this one, the end goal is perfection and artistry, and instead of seeking it at the expense of others, the contestants try to outdo themselves.

In response to Hermit's comment, I did used to watch it on PBS on Fridays after I got home from work. It was an incredibly relaxing way to end the work week. Unfortunately my PBS station then decided to put dramas on Friday evenings and bump the Baking Show to... 5:00 AM on Saturday mornings, when there's almost no chance of my being awake. They did it right before the season finale, too.

Tooky, do you know if the Great British Baking Show is one of the shows you can temporarily download from Netflix to watch without an internet connection? I would love to start watching it again, but my family does not pay for internet at our house. Also, did you see the "Great American Baking Show: Holiday Edition" on ABC this week? Paul was still one of the judges, but not Mary.
Lucy Took
Site Admin

Post by Lucy Took » Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:56 pm

I don't know if you can download or not- I want to say yes because most of their British stuff can be, but not all. I'd have to check. Be warned though, there are new hosts. They're not bad at all, but they're not Mel and Sue. Mary's gone too.

And I have seen the American edition. It's not nearly as bad as I thought it would be, everyone's still nice to each other and it's got Paul.
Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.
knightofnarnia
Knight

Post by knightofnarnia » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:46 pm

I watched an old film, "Broken Arrow" recently
They say it is the first film that portrayed the native Americans in a positive light. Slightly western.
And whoever will be chief shall be servant of all (Mark 10:44 my version)
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:18 pm

I watched the first three episodes of Young Justice season three last night. Something seems a touch different about character design (apart from a few costume changes, I mean) and because this is not airing on Cartoon Network, they’re including a little graphicness to the violence, but it’s not gratuitous. The story is also just jumping in with little explanation of team dynamics, so you have to kinda puzzle it together as you go. I expect the season to pick up from here and also start getting into character development. We’ve already got a solid start into some moral questioning, so I’m digging that.
Basically, my favourite show is back!!
knight and scribe
marmota-b
Fanatic: At the broken stone table

Post by marmota-b » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:15 pm

Speaking of the Bake Off, I love(d) the Great British Sewing Bee. Everything said about the Bake Off applies as well, and to top it off, the contestants actually often help each other!
Although I'm not sure if it's quite as easy to watch if you don't sew, heh.
EveningStar
Novice: Staying with the Beavers

Post by EveningStar » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:54 pm

Gardener's World with Monty Don, an excellent BBC gardening show.

Hey, some of us like to look at plants as well as eat them....
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:16 am

I re-watched a couple of WWII POW movies, bought and watched the Unbroken sequel that was mentioned a page or two ago (yeah, apparently it is sort of a sequel), rewatched the single season of Tron: Uprising (the cancellation of which I’m still sore about *cough, coughs, pokes Disney really hard in the ribs*), and saw The LEGO Movie 2 last weekend.
knight and scribe
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:56 am

I saw "How to Train Your Dragon 3" last night. And because I'm getting softer the older I get, I cried. Three times. That's as many times as "Toy Story 3" did, guys. Granted, the first tear was really surprising, since I never would have expected that one to get me. The last time, I felt my face gear up for an ugly-cry. So... if you're like me and you cry for bittersweet things, you've been warned.
Strangely enough, I think HTTYD3 is the weakest of the trilogy. I found that too much focus was placed on the themes (good ones, granted) and on the NightLight romance to give the rest of the story, villain, and side characters the proper rounding out they deserved. So... now you've been warned about that. :D
knight and scribe

Return to “The Bird and Baby”