What have you been watching?

The meeting place of TLC for conversation that doesn't always include Narnia.

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, Tenethia, Lucy Took

Lil
Site Admin

Re: What have you been watching?

Post by Lil » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:20 pm

EveningStar wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:54 pm
Gardener's World with Monty Don, an excellent BBC gardening show.

Hey, some of us like to look at plants as well as eat them....
That sounds interesting, EveningStar! I'm always on the lookout for good things to watch.
Avvie by Siberian Christmas. Signature by Ariel of Narnia

"Maybe Redemption has stories to tell. Maybe forgiveness is right where you fell. Where can you run to escape from yourself? Where you gonna go? Salvation is here." - Dare You to Move (Switchfoot.)
knightofnarnia
Knight

Post by knightofnarnia » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:18 pm

I watched Green Book in the cinema although not for a younger audience some swearing and a prison scene it was a great film nevertheless.
And whoever will be chief shall be servant of all (Mark 10:44 my version)
Lil
Site Admin

Post by Lil » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:07 pm

Ariel.of.Narnia wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:27 pm

Just finished watching Beyond the Mask. I enjoyed it, though it wasn't quite what I was expecting. Not necessarily in bad ways; I just had different ideas as to how it was going to pan out. For one thing, I thought the romance was only going to be a side-story, not the protagonist's driving force. I also wasn't expecting him to remind me of what I know of the Assassin's Creed video games (particularly the scene in which he runs around on housetops). And I think I expected a little more National Treasure-esque vibes too, but anyway.
On a slightly unrelated note, I'm realizing as time goes on and as I watch more Christian films, it's difficult to neither lose the story in the message nor lose the message in the story. Bad as it sounds, I've seen a couple Christian films that have made me zone out once they talk for X amount of time about the (or a) message. On the flip side, it's also important to not shoehorn the message awkwardly into the story. It's all in the execution and I tip my hat to those who have managed to not err on either extreme (as for those that I think strike the balance almost, if not perfectly, in the center... well, I salute them for the masterful storytellers they are).
I really loved Beyond the Mask (despite expecting not to like it) but yes, it definitely had some places where I could see and feel that it needed something. The acting was better, but I felt the story wasn't as good as Pendragon: Sword of his father.
knightofnarnia wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:18 pm
I watched Green Book in the cinema although not for a younger audience some swearing and a prison scene it was a great film nevertheless.
Oh I wanted to see that. "Aragorn" from the Lord of the Rings is in that I think.
Avvie by Siberian Christmas. Signature by Ariel of Narnia

"Maybe Redemption has stories to tell. Maybe forgiveness is right where you fell. Where can you run to escape from yourself? Where you gonna go? Salvation is here." - Dare You to Move (Switchfoot.)
HermitoftheNorthernMarch
ROotL

Post by HermitoftheNorthernMarch » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:29 pm

So my sister got Netflix again... I watched a few Christian movies, one was the Nicolas Cage Left Behind and the other was An Interview With God.

The best thing about the newer Left Behind is that Nicolas Cage (i.e. the guy from National Treasure) is in it. Otherwise, the movie is an action movie where a group of distraught people are flying in an increasingly damaged plane. While this is interesting, the acting of most of the actors is not that great and there is not really an explanation for the Rapture.

An Interview With God has the premise that a man who emotionally fatigued because he just went to report on a war and his wife left him, is allowed to ask God questions. It's interesting, and must have been tricky to write. It's much better than a couple of other older movies that used to be on TBN with the same premise sort of premise (although in those movies Jesus asked people to come to restaurants with Him so they were a bit different). I didn't actually watch all of the visuals of this movie -- I was working on taxes while listening to it mostly.
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. If you really knew Me, you would know My Father as well." - John 14:6-7a
anunknownpevensie
Fanatic: At the broken stone table

Post by anunknownpevensie » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:52 pm

I have been looking for good shows/movies to watch on netflix. I can't find any on my own, as everything that is suggested is way too inappropriate and/or cheese and worthless (no matter how good the acting is). If anyone has recommendations for quality movies or series that aren't super super intense, but are still action movies or very cool without all the junk of society, I would be grateful. Even animated stuff would be welcome.

I recently finished all of Trollhunters and the first season of 3Below, both Tales of Arcadia series. I actually quite liked them. Well made for being kids animated shows by Dreamworks.

To anyone who responds, please tag me or something XD Sorry but that's the only way I'm going to remember anytime soon to check back.

And if you want me to respond to anything, you will have to quote me I am afraid.
HermitoftheNorthernMarch
ROotL

Post by HermitoftheNorthernMarch » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:08 pm

anunknownpevensie wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:52 pm
I recently finished all of Trollhunters and the first season of 3Below, both Tales of Arcadia series. I actually quite liked them. Well made for being kids animated shows by Dreamworks.
Yes, those are good for being animated TV shows, I thought the 3rd season of Trollhunters was a little more intense (there is a character that is possessed).
Another show I've been watching is The Dragon Prince. It is about half-brother princes who have the last dragon egg and are trying to end the war between the elves and the humans. I have been watching it entirely in Spanish, so I am missing stuff but as far as I can tell there is nothing objectionable about it. The animation style was a little unusual, it is computer 3d animated, but they have a filter that makes it look 2d.

I really can't find as much as I'd hoped on Netflix honestly, I've taken to watching documentaries like Cabins in the Wild, Marie Kondo's Tidying Up, Kitten Rescuers (Note: this shows surgeries), and The World's Busiest Cities.
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. If you really knew Me, you would know My Father as well." - John 14:6-7a
anunknownpevensie

Post by anunknownpevensie » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:52 am

HermitoftheNorthernMarch wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:08 pm

Yes, those are good for being animated TV shows, I thought the 3rd season of Trollhunters was a little more intense (there is a character that is possessed).
Another show I've been watching is The Dragon Prince. It is about half-brother princes who have the last dragon egg and are trying to end the war between the elves and the humans. I have been watching it entirely in Spanish, so I am missing stuff but as far as I can tell there is nothing objectionable about it. The animation style was a little unusual, it is computer 3d animated, but they have a filter that makes it look 2d.
Ah Dragon Prince. I have not yet watched that. It looks a little cheesy, or almost anime, and I am not particularly into that kind of thing. But I have't tried it to find out if it's worth it. How is the plot and characters?

And if you want me to respond to anything, you will have to quote me I am afraid.
HermitoftheNorthernMarch
ROotL

Post by HermitoftheNorthernMarch » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:39 pm

Pev, it's not anime, but the elves do sort of look like anime characters. I am not sure that it's the most interesting show. It's hard for me to tell because I don't get the jokes when I'm watching it in Spanish and so it seemed a little boring. I can't really say if it's worth it unless I watch it in English, but the main reason I'm watching it is to see how much I can understand without English "subtitle-ing" it.

Edit: I no longer suggest this series.
Last edited by HermitoftheNorthernMarch on Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anunknownpevensie

Post by anunknownpevensie » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:59 pm

Ah fair fair. Well cool. that's a good idea.

Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:15 am

Rewatched the Dark Knight trilogy last week, and then both Tron movies in the last couple days because I was on a Tron kick from introducing a friend to the show.
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"

Return to “The Bird and Baby”