What have you been watching?

The meeting place of TLC for conversation that doesn't always include Narnia.

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, Tenethia, Lucy Took

elanorelle
Contributor

What have you been watching?

Post by elanorelle » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:12 am

Post what you've watched or are watching and, if you want, give an idea of what it is about. This is meant for any watchable media that you might feel doesn't deserve its own thread, perhaps due to its unpopularity, but you'd still like to publicly share your thoughts about it - good and bad.
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Re: What have you been watching?

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:21 am

Well. I watched Dragonheart for the first time two nights ago. It's not a fantastic movie, but enjoyable. Wow, the animation on that dragon was good! And Elanor popped up on chat toward the end, so she got to hear me do a bit of commentary.... :P
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
elanorelle
Contributor

Post by elanorelle » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:52 am

I think the last movie I watched was Dinosaur, its visuals are still stunning but the story is lacking and the dialogue, at times, feels too forced.
elanorelle
Contributor

Post by elanorelle » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:00 pm

So I was able to watch the film adaptation of Private Peaceful and, unfortunately, was sorely disappointed. There was so much potential for this to be a great film with an emotional story, as the book was, but it fell flat. Completely flat. The first minute or so was beautifully done, taking the words from the novel and translating it to the screen, but after that... eh. It might sound weird to say this, but I think it tried too hard to be like the book in some parts which resulted in scenes and dialogue that didn't feel natural at all. The relationship between the brothers wasn't as touching as it ought to be. I think the brothers from War Horse, Gunther and Michael, had a clearer relationship than that of Charlie and Tommo: G&M had only minutes while C&T had well over an hour. I honestly wouldn't recommend this film to anyone, but hey? Maybe I'm just hard on it.

The second film adaptation I've watched, also having to do with my recent readings, was All Quiet on the Western Front (1930). Now this is a film I can get behind. Wonderfully done even if the acting style is quite dated. The film, I think, captured the tone of the story, never trying to become something it wasn't meant to be - emotional. It's a tell-it-like-it-is type of movie, showing how desperate the men were and how the mentality of "kill or be killed" was the way most lived their lives in the trenches.
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:34 am

I got to see War Room this weekend. Honestly, it was better than I was expecting (and I had lowered my expectations after hearing some things). I don't think Courageous is going to give up its spot as #1 favourite Christian film, though. Anyway, I'll post more thoughts in the appropriate thread.
knight and scribe
ShiofNarnia
Knight

Post by ShiofNarnia » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:03 pm

Watched "Alone, Yet Not Alone" this past weekend and was pleasantly surprised. It was better done than I thought it would be, and the song for the film is beautiful! Thumbs up, I say!
Lady Shi, Royal Photographer and Otter Keeper
jesusgirl4ever

Post by jesusgirl4ever » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:50 pm

Yes! That movie is amazing, Shi!

We've been watching the western Laredo. It's pretty funny. :D
Lady Jaygee, Royal Pianist and Lover of Cats, Knight of TLC
elanorelle
Contributor

Post by elanorelle » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:22 am

Watched Sherlock today because of my bro's birthday (tomorrow is his actual birthday but we celebrated today 'cause tomorrow is busy for everyone). Let's see, we watched The Blind Banker, The Great Game, The Sign of Three, and His Last Vow.
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:12 am

*whistles* You really blew through a few there!
knight and scribe
Shield Maiden
Knight

Post by Shield Maiden » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:15 pm

Ela, did you not see a Study in Pink? ;)

Over the weekend we ended up watching Tinin (the new one), Star Trek Into Darkness, and HtTYD2. I love all of them, but didn't realize how /weird/ HtTYD2 is...
Team Cap. Sig made by Ariel.

Return to “The Bird and Baby”