What have you been watching?

The meeting place of TLC for conversation that doesn't always include Narnia.

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, Tenethia, Lucy Took

jesusgirl4ever

Re: What have you been watching?

Post by jesusgirl4ever » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:20 pm

@KnightofNarnia and Sardh: It's not too bad. There were some scenes that I turned away from, but it was filmed very tastefully (also, I have a low tolerance for things like that. I had to turn away from a lot of the Passion of the Christ and even from some parts of BoFA in theaters).

Oh, also, in theaters I wanted to smack some people laughing at inappropriate moments. But that was just me. I have a thing about when people laugh at things that aren't funny. (For example, at one point, someone said to Sabina Wurmbrand, "It's Saturday." When she looked at him, as if to ask why, he continues, "They're beating the Seventh Day Adventists again." And people laughed...Like, that wasn't exactly meant to be funny. Again, maybe I'm just too irritable.)
Lady Jaygee, Royal Pianist and Lover of Cats, Knight of TLC
Lucy Took
Site Admin

Post by Lucy Took » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:50 pm

In defense of people laughing at serious moments in movies: Sometimes it's just a nervous reaction to something that's pretty horrible. Sometimes it's easier to laugh than to cry.

.....Or maybe the line was just badly delivered in their opinion. I haven't seen it so I'm not sure that's the case, but sometimes it's something some people are more likely to pick up on.
Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.
HermitoftheNorthernMarch
ROotL

Post by HermitoftheNorthernMarch » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:24 pm

Sometimes people just laugh because everyone else is laughing. Also, sometimes I will be in a theater and nobody will laugh at something meant to be funny because people don't joke about that particular topic where I live.

When I watched LWW for the first time there was a girl two seats away who was laughing every time there was a serious part. I really wanted to tell her to be quiet, but of course I didn't. She finally stopped laughing by the time Aslan went to sacrifice himself. I think there are some people who just go to movies to laugh at things.
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. If you really knew Me, you would know My Father as well." - John 14:6-7a
knightofnarnia
Knight

Post by knightofnarnia » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:40 am

Thanks Jaygee, probably have a hard time seeing it anyways as for now it seems it is only coming out in the U.S.A. (and according to IMDB) doesn't look like it will be released in any other country any time soon. Too bad.
And whoever will be chief shall be servant of all (Mark 10:44 my version)
Lil
Site Admin

Post by Lil » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:55 pm

Lucy Took wrote:@Ariel- Yes, there is a live action FMA. It's on Netflix right now. I've watched about 20 minutes of it before deciding that it's so bad it's not something I want to watch by myself, but rather something I need to watch with a sibling so that we can laugh at how terrible it is. Though it does seem to be a lot less bloody than that anime. (Note to younger members....FMA is not for younger members. Partly because it's /really/ bloody.)

I've seen that adaptation of Mansfield Park and um....I didn't hate it. I agree that the slave trade scenes and the um...shots that came along with it were pretty uncomfortable, but I kind of enjoyed the movie as a movie. Then again, I also found the book to be the hardest Austen for me to get into due to not really liking Fanny
(She's just such a doormat.), so I guess I didn't care as much about the OOC-ness of it.
I actually liked it too, Tooky. But that was after I'd seen two or three versions of Mansfield Park. Each had their own foibles and flaws. (on the other hand I like Fannie, and And Book Edmund is a decent enough chap when he's not deceived and deluded.)
Avvie by Siberian Christmas. Signature by Ariel of Narnia

"Maybe Redemption has stories to tell. Maybe forgiveness is right where you fell. Where can you run to escape from yourself? Where you gonna go? Salvation is here." - Dare You to Move (Switchfoot.)
knightofnarnia
Knight

Post by knightofnarnia » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:52 am

I just saw Crimson Tide about a "mutiny" on a nuclear submarine when the captain got orders to launch the missiles and the Second in command says they should look into an order from their superiors that they are unable to read. The story was well done and delved into a deep subject.
And whoever will be chief shall be servant of all (Mark 10:44 my version)
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:33 pm

@Tooky: I’ll admit to not being a fan of Fanny Price. Granted, there are characteristics that are highly commendable about her. But, yeah, she’s like... Cinderella squared. But that adaptation made her too much of the opposite for me to handle. On top of that, there were changes to other characters that resulted in different mannerisms in Fanny (like the slave trader thing; yes, I’m the book, she did fear her uncle, but she did also respect him).
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
HermitoftheNorthernMarch
ROotL

Post by HermitoftheNorthernMarch » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:30 pm

I went and saw the I Can Only Imagine movie. It is more of for an older audience because of the themes. (Everyone in the theater was older than I was except my little sister.) I think it is good for people who've either had to give up on their dreams or have been abused because it deals with these in a sensitive biblical way. I felt it was really relevant to me because I wasn't allowed to major in what I wanted r/t financial difficulties and other things. It is a hard movie to watch, though, and I wouldn't recommend it to younger people unless they're dealing with these issues.
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. If you really knew Me, you would know My Father as well." - John 14:6-7a
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:06 am

I need to see that at some point. A little surprised at the verdict of it being a harder watch ‘cause I didn’t get that impression from PluggedIn.
knight and scribe
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:11 am

Just watched Race, the 2016 movie about Jesse Owens, 1936 Olympic gold medalist and record-breaker. Barring the swearing, the fact that Owens had a child prior to marriage, what looks like his cheating on his girlfriend, and mention of the Nazis’ attempt to use an athlete to breed, it’s quite good. The film did a great job making me root for Owens and hoping he’d win, even though I basically knew the end of the story; but it also dealt with the politics of the times, not just insofar as Owens competing in Nazi Germany, but the American side of things, even down to the controversial topic of whether or not Owens should even go to the Olympics. I was also blindsided by a German character, an example of all those Germans who did not kowtow to Nazi ideals, so bonus!
knight and scribe

Return to “The Bird and Baby”