What have you been watching?

The meeting place of TLC for conversation that doesn't always include Narnia.

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, Tenethia, Lucy Took

hobbit_of_narnia
Knight
Location: ♫ What's this holding me? I'm not where I'm supposed to be! ♪♫

Re: What have you been watching?

Post by hobbit_of_narnia » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:48 am

I like (most!) old TV shows. We have all the episodes of the black and white Sherlock Holmes show on DVD, and we watch "Andy Griffith" and (occasionally) "Get Smart" on YouTube. Those three are, unless I'm mistaken, the TV shows I've seen the most of.
If somebody has an idea for a Narnia comic that they weren't planning on making themselves, I <------ This offer still
would be so grateful if they would send it to me in a PM. I am running appallingly low on ideas...! <-- stands. :)
Lucy Took
Site Admin

Post by Lucy Took » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:26 pm

I remember watching the Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes. As much as I love the modern Sherlock, Jeremy Brett /is/ Sherlock Holmes.

Lately I've been watching The Great British Bake Show on Netflix. It is beautiful and quite possibly the most British thing I have ever seen.
Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.
Lil
Site Admin

Post by Lil » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:29 pm

HermitoftheNorthernMarch wrote:I haven't been currently watching these series, but I wonder if anyone else likes old tv, like Gilligan's Island and Get Smart?
I like old Tv shows.
Avvie by Siberian Christmas. Signature by Ariel of Narnia

"Maybe Redemption has stories to tell. Maybe forgiveness is right where you fell. Where can you run to escape from yourself? Where you gonna go? Salvation is here." - Dare You to Move (Switchfoot.)
hobbit_of_narnia
Knight
Location: ♫ What's this holding me? I'm not where I'm supposed to be! ♪♫

Post by hobbit_of_narnia » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:58 pm

@Tooky: Ooh, I've never even heard of that one! Is it good? I've only seen the one with Ronald Howard and Howard Marion-Crawford. So to me, they're Holmes and Watson. (It helps that they look remarkably like the illustrations, especially those from the first few stories. :P )
The Great British Bake Show, though...is that the one that Studio C spoofed? If it is, I think I saw an episode of it once.
If somebody has an idea for a Narnia comic that they weren't planning on making themselves, I <------ This offer still
would be so grateful if they would send it to me in a PM. I am running appallingly low on ideas...! <-- stands. :)
Lucy Took
Site Admin

Post by Lucy Took » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:00 pm

It's not a movie, it's a series that the BBC did of direct adaptations of the original short stories and though it's been awhile since I've seen them they were very good. They don't play the mind games the Sherlock plays, they offer an engaging straightforward mystery that you get to follow the clues for and try to solve the case with Sherlock.

And yeah, it is the one that Sudio C did a video on. And it was a pretty spot on parody.
Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:44 am

Watched The Dark Knight last night (warning for a definite PG-13 rating and seriously dark stuff). I'll probably post more detailed thoughts in the DC thread at some point, but I will say this: I feel kinda conflicted about it. One the one hand, I liked that it brought up more moral/philosophical questions than Batman Begins did. On the other hand, I don't see the appeal of the Joker. I mean, I did kinda like the fact that he's pretty unpredictable, at least compared to most villains I've come across, but besides that, the character rubs me the wrong way. I know he's supposed to, but I dislike him so much that I felt as though I'd be good to not watch the movie again... until maybe 10-15 minutes later, when I decided that I liked the movie so long as the Joker wasn't on screen. (Props to the music guy though for putting in that super-high-tension noise whenever the Joker got particularly... creepy? nasty? threatening? all of the above? I felt my heart beat faster and my muscles tense up whenever I heard it.)
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
anunknownpevensie
Fanatic: At the broken stone table

Post by anunknownpevensie » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:05 pm

Ach Get Smart would be cool, though or all the adult content.

Saw Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children last night. I love it. I wish there was more.
Also saw the second Transformers. I don't recommend them at all. The content makes them not worth watching even though they are AWESOME otherwise.

And if you want me to respond to anything, you will have to quote me I am afraid.
jesusgirl4ever

Post by jesusgirl4ever » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:21 pm

We just finished going through Sue Thomas: F.B.Eye again, and now we've been watching some Dick Van Dyke Show episodes.
Lady Jaygee, Royal Pianist and Lover of Cats, Knight of TLC
elanorelle
Contributor

Post by elanorelle » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:08 am

Beauty and the Beast. I ended up liking it much much more than I was anticipating. I would say too, that it is my favorite live action remake Disney has done. I mean, I saw it Friday and I am still so excited about it and I really want to see it again! :D This is just a sum up and opinion, so no spoilers - though I am sure most here have already seen the animated version and already know the ending. :P

Absolutely beautiful, the sets, costumes, just every detail. And although I found Emma Watson somewhat miscast (the first go round at least - maybe I will change my mind when I watch it again), it didn't ruin the film. Dan Stevens does a commendable job with the Beast, especially considering everything he had to wear and do in order for his character to be animated. Also, "Evermore" is a beautiful song and he delivers it with such emotion. My favorite parts of the film were all the scenes with Gaston and LeFou and they were far from my faves in the animated version. Both Gad and Evans play off each other perfectly and capture their respective characters (and improve upon them, I may add). Gaston's character changes make him into much better villain, in my opinion. LeFou too, benefited from changes, so now he is no longer a fool but a witty compatriot, and he even has some character growth. I could really go on and on about what I liked about Evans and Gad... Ahem. Anyway, I quite enjoyed Ewan McGregor and Ian Mckellen as Lumiere and Cogsworth, respectively. Emma Thompson also makes for a very good Mrs Potts. There were several changes made to some plot points, some more noticeable than others, and I think most worked (especially where plot holes and inconsistencies were filled in or explained) but there were a few I am still uncertain about.
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:15 pm

I'm gonna see Beaty and the Beast tonight. Been counting down to today since last week.

Watched The Dark Knight Rises and will post my thoughts in the DC thread at some point. I think The Dark Knight is my favourite of the three because, despite the Joker, 'cause the storytelling, character development, and moral/philosophic question-asking were better than in the other two. But in The Dark Knight Rises' defence, I absolutely love the secondary character of John Blake. He was the best part of the whole movie, in my opinion. :D
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"

Return to “The Bird and Baby”