What have you been watching?

The meeting place of TLC for conversation that doesn't always include Narnia.

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, Tenethia, Lucy Took

ShiofNarnia
Knight

Re: What have you been watching?

Post by ShiofNarnia » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:33 pm

@Ariel: Yup! It is definately one of the better ones. I’ve never read the book but I’m sure it’s fantastic. :D

Yeah the Lego Ninjago movie just came out recently, I think.
Lady Shi, Royal Photographer and Otter Keeper
anunknownpevensie
Fanatic: At the broken stone table

Post by anunknownpevensie » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:56 pm

I so want to see the Ninjago movie. XD I know nothing about it, and my friends say the show was good. But so far as I have heard the Lego movies are hilarious.

And if you want me to respond to anything, you will have to quote me I am afraid.
Lucy Took
Site Admin

Post by Lucy Took » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:21 pm

Ariel.of.Narnia wrote: @Tooky: Was Rise of the Guardians that popular on here? I really don't remember... I just remember that I really liked it and that Korkoa came to the costume party as Jack Frost....
Come to think of it, it might have merely been a topic and Stew and mine's PMs, he was rather fond of it.

Hello fall TV season. Still not sure what I'll be keeping up with this season.
Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.
hobbit_of_narnia
Knight
Location: ♫ What's this holding me? I'm not where I'm supposed to be! ♪♫

Post by hobbit_of_narnia » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:33 pm

I'm almost afraid to watch the Ninjago movie...I've heard it was pretty good, but I really liked the show.......
If somebody has an idea for a Narnia comic that they weren't planning on making themselves, I <------ This offer still
would be so grateful if they would send it to me in a PM. I am running appallingly low on ideas...! <-- stands. :)
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:17 am

@Tooky: Ah. :D
@Hobbit: I have almost zero knowledge of Ninjago.
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:38 am

Just finished watching Newsies and actually quite enjoyed it. I think it may be the most original thing I've seen in a while (though it helps that it was based on real events). I liked the development of the friendship between the two biggest characters, simple (but perfect) subtexty things, the story, the pacing, the songs, and the dancing. And once I got used to Christian Bale being at least a decade younger than I'm accustomed to, I think he did well with the role (though he's clearly older than his character, his singing doesn't quite match his acting, and I'm pretty sure his dancing skills were limited, leading to having only enough dancing that he's not weirdly left out during the songs). Oh, and the fight scenes are pretty exaggerated, but I figure that when you've got a movie with a hundred newsboys dancing through the streets in synchronized formation, you're allowed to have cartoony fights. And it's Disney, so there's that. :D
So far as content goes, I only picked up a couple mild swears and there's a kiss at the end. And there's the question as to whether or not the newsies were right to strike and/or do some of the things they did.
knight and scribe
Lucy Took
Site Admin

Post by Lucy Took » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:15 pm

I too just watched Newsies, but I watched the Broadway version on Netflix. I rather liked it. The songs were really catchy, and I would say that the strike was justified, especially since they end up coming up with reasonable demands and coming to a compromise (Yeah, I was presently surprised. An ending that showed that it doesn't have to come down to employers vs. employees, they can come up with a mutually beneficial arrangement.)
Also, it was a Broadway version so less fighting, more dancing. Really good dancing actually, and the leads were musical theater peeps so they were in there with the ensemble.

Anyone else watching the Once Upon a Time reboot?
Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:16 pm

I'm thinking I need to watch the Broadway version too, if only for the dancing. :D
Also, I need to take back what I said about Christian Bale's age: he was 18, which is pretty close, if not perfect, for his character. I just think he looked mature for 18.
Also also, I realized this morning that Newsies reminds me more than I realized of Les Mis. Significantly less miserable, granted, and the stories aren't exactly the same, but there are definite similarities. I still hold that it has a feeling of originality, to me anyway. Or maybe it's more like "freshness". Whatever.

I saw the season premiere of OUAT and will likely give it at least another episode or two before I decide to follow or clock out. I currently have little motivation to stay with it.
knight and scribe
anunknownpevensie
Fanatic: At the broken stone table

Post by anunknownpevensie » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:13 pm

JUST FYI Kingsmen has some epic scenes and AWESOME stuff but NEVER EVER EVER WATCH IT a lot of people I know have see the ads and really want to see it, but I am now sure that it is R or above for many reason.
If you found a good way to cut out all the bad scenes and bleep the language it might be a decent movie for all the epicness.

The second Kingsmen is very much worth doing the same, but you would lose a bit more movie time.

And if you want me to respond to anything, you will have to quote me I am afraid.
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:12 am

Now I've just finished watching the Broadway version of Newsies. There were things I liked better here and things I prefer from the film.
The dancing (which was what I mainly watched it for) was so much fun. And yeah, like Tooky said, there's lots of it. A few more songs too. Story is almost exactly the same, just some character tweaks to the main guy (which overall made me like him better), a complete change to the love interest, timing adjustments, things like that. And Broadway shows what happens between the main character and the boss, while the movie didn't, which makes the Newsies strike seem that much more reasonable.
I'd have to watch both again before deciding which version I like better, but in the meantime I like both.
So far as content warnings, I caught a couple more mild swears (and a trailed-off larger one) than in the film, there's a bit more to the romance (a couple kisses more and flirtatious talk), and two performers wear pretty revealing outfits (at which a kid gapes openly and is encouraged by another character to keep looking).
knight and scribe

Return to “The Bird and Baby”