What have you been watching?

The meeting place of TLC for conversation that doesn't always include Narnia.

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, Tenethia, Lucy Took

hobbit_of_narnia
Knight
Location: ♫ What's this holding me? I'm not where I'm supposed to be! ♪♫

Re: What have you been watching?

Post by hobbit_of_narnia » Fri May 05, 2017 3:17 am

@Tooky: Well, I knew he died. I sort of meant if he hadn't already died. :lol:
@Ariel: Oh, my mom really wants to see "The Case for Christ".
If somebody has an idea for a Narnia comic that they weren't planning on making themselves, I <------ This offer still
would be so grateful if they would send it to me in a PM. I am running appallingly low on ideas...! <-- stands. :)
elanorelle
Contributor

Post by elanorelle » Fri May 05, 2017 4:02 am

@Tooky: Yeah, I realized that, hence the "would have". Still, I would have loved to see him in the role after seeing him in a few things. Brilliant actor, Rickman. RIP.
jesusgirl4ever

Post by jesusgirl4ever » Fri May 05, 2017 10:45 am

@Ariel: I saw that; my parents and I really liked it, too.
Lady Jaygee, Royal Pianist and Lover of Cats, Knight of TLC
Lucy Took
Site Admin

Post by Lucy Took » Sat May 06, 2017 9:02 pm

So I finally watched Rouge One last night

And it was...OK. There were parts that I really liked and the pacing of the /story/ was good. Actually, the story itself was good. There just seemed to be too many characters that were really quite good characters, the movie just seemed too short to develop all of them fully.

I think I've been watching too much TV lately. I want all of my characters to have time devoted to their development and each get an episode of backstory.
Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Sat May 06, 2017 9:52 pm

@Tooky: I know what you mean!
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
jesusgirl4ever

Post by jesusgirl4ever » Sat May 06, 2017 11:11 pm

@Tooky: Yeah, I agree that RO could have had stronger character development. However, I still loved it. ;)
HermitoftheNorthernMarch
ROotL

Post by HermitoftheNorthernMarch » Thu May 11, 2017 1:43 am

Ariel.of.Narnia wrote:Anyway. I really liked that Case for Christ does not have the issues that God's Not Dead does in its portrayal of Christians or non-believers. Everybody is flawed, everybody is sympathetic, everybody struggles.
Oh, that is very good. It makes me want to see the movie more. I was kind of disappointed in the God's Not Dead movie, I think it is too fatalistic to really succeed as a witnessing tool although it does make you feel like you're not alone if you've been shamed by professors for being a Christian.

I can also say that I don't recommend BBC Atlantis. I thought it would be like BBC Merlin, and the first season was like a more mature version of Merlin but the second season is dark. I don't recommend it.
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. If you really knew Me, you would know My Father as well." - John 14:6-7a
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Thu May 11, 2017 4:28 am

Case for Christ has an easier time with avoiding certain pitfalls because it is a true story (as opposed to a work of idealized fiction with inspiration drawn from real events). Plus, the main character is an atheist who comes to faith, so you have to empathize with his side of the story in order to really appreciate the moment he decides to stop fighting.
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
Lucy Took
Site Admin

Post by Lucy Took » Thu May 11, 2017 5:24 am

I don't think that I'd heard of "Case for Christ" before, but from your description, it actually sounds like something I wouldn't mind watching. I refuse to watch "God's Not Dead" because I avoid Christian movies that are made to make Christians feel good about themselves without bothering to portray non-Christians in a way that wouldn't alienate a non-Christian before a gospel message is preached like the plague. I'm actually not a big fan of evangelistic films in general, I feel like movies that have a lot of symbolism can be a lot better because A. They normally aren't made for a "Christian" niche and can have value as movies themselves. And B. They offer the opportunity for two humans to have a discussion as opposed to letting the movie do all of the talking. I do however make an exception for documentaries, or films that follow a real story. Because those are more like a memoir or a history film, something more human than someone coming up with a moral and then trying to make a story around it.

This isn't to say that I hate all Christians films. I actually find ones that try to just speak to everyday needs without trying to evangelize outright can be decent. War Room had a good message, I can overlook it's flaws because it was meant for Christians and had focus. It's been awhile since I've been Courageous, but I remember that actually having realistic dialogue and it focused more on the family aspect. I also love programs like Adventures in Odyssey.

...OK, really long-winded way to say that yeah, I think that documentaries by Christians can be cool and Case for Christ sounds like it would scratch an itch for going through Christianity through a purely logical lense. I get that itch sometimes. I'm all for childlike faith, but sometimes I just want to see some cold, hard facts to remind myself that what I believe actually makes sense. Movies written for evangelism are lame. If you want to watch a movie and then talk about Jesus just watch LWW, it'll probably be a better conversation.

[ Rouge One Spoilers ]

Another thing about Rouge One. That ending. I'm fine with the ending that the characters had. It was sad, but it fit the tone that the movie was going for and it gave everyone closure. Everyone's story was over, they were heroes. However, while I am OK with the characters fates, I actually wish that in the case of Jyn and Cassian it was left more ambiguous. Not because I wish something else happened to their characters, sure, that would be nice, but what happened made sense too.

Oh no, I was disappointed that they erased all doubt as to if Jyn could have been Rey's Mom or not. I needed more options to talk over with coworkers during dead times.

I still think she's Obi Wan's granddaughter. But I still wanted more options to pick around.

[/spoiler]
anunknownpevensie wrote:
Saw Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children last night. I love it. I wish there was more.
Just saw this going through old pages. I saw it on the plane back from London. Thought it was pretty good. Little distracted by Asa Butterfield as an American, but that's only because I know he's British and saw him in Merlin.

Just needed to make a note that there is more. There are books. I haven't read them, though they are on my "probably will read" list, but there are three. Like I said, I haven't read them myself yet so I can't vouch for the content, but you know, if you want more just head over to your local library and pick up the book.
Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.
jesusgirl4ever

Post by jesusgirl4ever » Thu May 11, 2017 8:44 pm

Lucy Took wrote: [ Rouge One Spoilers ]

Another thing about Rouge One. That ending. I'm fine with the ending that the characters had. It was sad, but it fit the tone that the movie was going for and it gave everyone closure. Everyone's story was over, they were heroes. However, while I am OK with the characters fates, I actually wish that in the case of Jyn and Cassian it was left more ambiguous. Not because I wish something else happened to their characters, sure, that would be nice, but what happened made sense too.

Oh no, I was disappointed that they erased all doubt as to if Jyn could have been Rey's Mom or not. I needed more options to talk over with coworkers during dead times.

I still think she's Obi Wan's granddaughter. But I still wanted more options to pick around.

[/spoiler]
Well, some people think they escaped. (Personally, I think that's dumb. Note what happened to Jedha...)

I agree that the deaths, for the most part, were fine, since they were almost all while doing heroic, accomplishing-the-mission tasks (looking at you, Baze Malbus, as the exception...).

I wanted Jyn to be Rey's mom, too, so that was disappointing.

I still think she's Luke's daughter (Jyn could still have been her mom, pre-RO ;) ). :P

Return to “The Bird and Baby”