What have you been watching?

The meeting place of TLC for conversation that doesn't always include Narnia.

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, Tenethia, Lucy Took

Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Re: What have you been watching?

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Sat May 13, 2017 11:43 pm

I don't do Star Wars, but SuperCarlinBrothers on YouTube has a theory about the Rogue One characters, if ya'll are interested. ;) (SuperCarlinBrothers are not associated with TLC, check out at your own risk (bonus being that they are very clean).)
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
knightofnarnia
Knight

Post by knightofnarnia » Sun May 14, 2017 2:42 pm

Watched Star Trek Beyond (better then the first two maybe because they had a diffrent director.)
And whoever will be chief shall be servant of all (Mark 10:44 my version)
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Tue May 30, 2017 5:26 am

Just watched Inception for the first time. It's... interesting. It's... I don't really know. It's like Alice in Wonderland, only less bizarre. Except that it actually kinda is just as bizarre. Just no smoking caterpillars or un-birthdays. I don't quite know what to make of it, haha. Get back to me after a while.
It did have some of the philosophical question-asking I like, but, of the Christopher Nolan films I've seen, I still like The Prestige the best. Inception, while it does have things to think about, I think it gives more to think about in the story and plot department than in the philosophical. Not that it's a bad thing. Just different.
And I can see now why people are divided on the ending. I think I know which conclusion I lean toward, but... yeah, I'll be puzzling over that some more. After a second viewing.
Putting it out there, it's not everybody's cup of tea. But if you're into more-or-less convoluted sci-fi movies... :D (Also, funny thing, it felt like a long movie. I was surprised when I paused it briefly after the 30-minute mark. It has this funny mix of slow pace and action-speed. I think it worked, especially with something that comes up several times in the film. Just another funny quirk.)
Fair warning: Inception is rated PG-13 for the violence, the use of sedatives, and some language (which *wince* includes the misuse of Jesus' name a few times).
knight and scribe
anunknownpevensie
Fanatic: At the broken stone table

Post by anunknownpevensie » Tue May 30, 2017 3:16 pm

So Rouge One was interesting.
Quite interesting.
As a movie alone it would be weird and not very good. But, when placed in the whole series, it is awesome and is a great piece of history.

Want to see the new King Arthur, Pirates of the Caribbean, and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2. XD But those aren't exactly "family friendly", any of them.

And if you want me to respond to anything, you will have to quote me I am afraid.
hobbit_of_narnia
Knight
Location: ♫ What's this holding me? I'm not where I'm supposed to be! ♪♫

Post by hobbit_of_narnia » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:51 am

So yes, I watched BoFA

I kept wondering when the Master of Laketown was going to show up again. Did they split the character of the Master into the Master and Alfrid?
Oh, but speaking of Alfrid...he was...soooo...unnecessary. That's all I've got to say about him.
The only moment in the entire movie where we get to see Thorin smiling a real smile was when he was talking to Bilbo about the acorn. Which really bummed me out. He has a good smile.
It was absolutely great to see Elrond show up in golden armor and all at Dol Guldur, but literally everything else about that scene felt kind of strange,...even the quality of the animation was worse than usual. (Fun to think, though, that all three Elven rings were there in that scene and Sauron didn't even notice.)
When Legolas drew his daggers, he looked almost straight at the camera with this look on his face like, "Okay, 75% of the teenage female audience, don't even try to pretend that this isn't why you're watching this movie. So here's that dagger thing I did earlier..."
Orcs sure are hard to kill, considering how much if them is completely unarmored while elves, on the other hand, are pathetically easy to kill even when they're completely armored from head to foot. Especially when, actually. Legolas and Tauriel and Thranduil survived despite wearing next to no armor whatsoever.
I was sad, of course, when Thorin and Fili and Kill died, but I didn't get even close to crying with any of the deaths. BUT...I did get a rather strong moment of "the feels" when Bilbo was talking to Thorin trying to keep him alive. I think it might have been my favorite scene. That kind of thing is one of those that can touch my emotions almost every time. (But really, though...Fili's death is waaaaaaaaay underdone. The other two get these emotional other-charcters-mourning-over-them scenes, and Fili just gets dumped off a tower after he's dead. For real???)
Thorin's death was very unnecessary. He was just casually strolling along above the "dead" Azog just looking down at him, when he's always struck me as the kind of guy who, as soon as he saw Azog's face down there, would start stabbing it through the ice like, "HAHA, DIE, YOU STUPID ORC!! I'VE BEEN WANTING TO DO THIS FOR YEARS YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW REWARDING THIS IS!!!!" But NOOOOOOOOO, he must keep following him along until he gets stabbed in the foot. *facepalm*
Thranduil was cool, though not as cool, in my opinion, as some people make out. I did think, however, that both parts of his final scene (the conversation with Legolas and the conversation with Tauriel) felt a bit forced. And...well...the whole bit about Aragorn felt kind of tacked-on.
BILBO'S DWARF-GLOVES AT THE END, THOUGH!!!!!!

Okay, those are my thoughts. Kind of rambling, extremely rambling, but I was really, really tired when I was watching it, so maybe that's an okay excuse.
If somebody has an idea for a Narnia comic that they weren't planning on making themselves, I <------ This offer still
would be so grateful if they would send it to me in a PM. I am running appallingly low on ideas...! <-- stands. :)
anunknownpevensie

Post by anunknownpevensie » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:01 pm

So the book mentions the Master's "advisers". That is who Alfrid represents.
AH that is an awesome thought, about the rings! XD AH HAHHAHAHAA YES That is so what Legolas would be thinking in the behind the scenes if it were actually HIM filming it. XD Remember Orcs don't feel pain nearly as much as elves and thus have a lot less reaction, and in fighting that effects the survival a LOT. Just a thought about that, but I do see how they don't die easily enough (until you watch the extended edition, rated r for the gore). I always felt like the elves should have fought better than they did though. I mean, they appear to be simply hacking and being hacked, with little technique; something that does NOT fit along with the books or the general nature of elves. It seems to me that it would be in the elves nature to be masters at almost anything they do, and with a war like THAT and all the wars in the history of the elves, they would have been on top of their game.
Yeah, they shouldn't have put the Aragorn mention in there. Nor Tauriel.

When I saw how Bilbo was all decked out like a dwarf, my first thought was "I WANT" and the second was "What in Arda are the other hobbits going to think?" XD

And if you want me to respond to anything, you will have to quote me I am afraid.
hobbit_of_narnia
Knight

Post by hobbit_of_narnia » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:47 am

Ohhhhh...right! Forgot about that.
Good point about the orcs' pain tolerance. I never really thought about that as a possible side effect of mutation. But yeah, whenever anybody was fighting an orc it seemed like 90% of their sword-blows landed on the one square foot of armor the orc was wearing. (Haha, exactly. Elves have gotten really soft since the first age when they were like, "Oh, a balrog? No problem. I can handle this.")
They all thought he was crazy, definitely. It reminded me, actually, of when the four hobbits from LOTR show up in the Shire again and people don't recognize them in their armor.
If somebody has an idea for a Narnia comic that they weren't planning on making themselves, I <------ This offer still
would be so grateful if they would send it to me in a PM. I am running appallingly low on ideas...! <-- stands. :)
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:29 am

@hobbit: I didn't mind Alfrid too terribly until I saw the extended edition. o.O (Dear Peter Jackson, I was already plenty fine with just knowing that Alfrid ran off dressed like a shabby woman and probably just died alone with his gold. I did not need that dumb death scene that a five-year-old probably came up with.)
Tooooootally with you on the deaths of Thorin, Fili, and Kili. And that I basically felt nothing until Bilbo tried to keep Thorin awake. I cried a little at that part just because Martin Freeman is that good of a Bilbo, I couldn't help but feel sad with him. (And yes, I wanted Thorin to stab Azog through the ice, for good measure if absolutely nothing else. Especially when Azog closed his eyes. Dead bodies don't just close their eyes.)
I rather like Thranduil except for those weird exchanges with Legolas and Tauriel. And that he was perhaps a little too much of a jerk? But it's been a while since I've read the book too.
And yup, TH orcs are somehow harder to kill than LotR orcs. For some reason.
And just because I have to ask: what did you think of Legoas defying physics to Mario-jump the falling stones to get back onto that tower with Bolg? :P
knight and scribe
hobbit_of_narnia
Knight

Post by hobbit_of_narnia » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:25 am

I only saw the theatrical edition, but I've heard about Alfrid's death scene. :roll:
Thranduil was okay. But...well...I'm partial to the Noldor, and the Sindar don't really have any chance against them as far as overall epicness goes. He was pretty cool, but not that cool.
Legolas doesn't answer to aaaaanything, including the laws of nature. I guess if elves can walk on the snow, though... *shrug* I was just laughing quietly to myself the whole time, though, because of the How It Should Have Ended for BoFA.
anunknownpevensie

Post by anunknownpevensie » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:18 pm

I.So.Love.Karate.Kid.

XD

So guess what. For my summer Library Reading Programme if I watch any movie based on a book it is another entry for the awards. LoTR is TECHNICALLY six books............ sooo yeah. :D I might marathon them soon again.

Return to “The Bird and Baby”