What have you been watching?

The meeting place of TLC for conversation that doesn't always include Narnia.

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, Tenethia, Lucy Took

sardhrantor
Fanatic: At the broken stone table

Re: What have you been watching?

Post by sardhrantor » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:02 pm

anunknownpevensie wrote:So have anyone watched the movie of Black Hawk Down?

Any content I should know about? I am planning on seeing it and I just wanna know what it's like cause I have heard it's really good but IDK for sure.
I've seen it. The worst thing about it is all the foul language, plus war violence. No sexual content, no drugs, nothing of that sort.

The film brought me to tears a couple times or so, 'cause a lot of characters died. (Won't say who...) :'( The main point of the movie has to do with brotherly love, or, as one of the characters put it, how it's not about your country, or the Cause, although those are good things, but you're doing it for the guy next to you.

So yeah, other than cursing and violence, it's pretty good.
anunknownpevensie

Post by anunknownpevensie » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:17 am

Oh cooool thanks. That's good to know.

Thanks a lot. It is intriguing but I don't know if I am ready for it yet. :) I have a lot on my list of things to see and read. It helps to know what's in it though. :D

And if you want me to respond to anything, you will have to quote me I am afraid.
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:18 am

@Sardh: You made a case for brotherly love. I'm sold. :D
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:40 am

Just watched The Book Thief for the second time (first time was a few years ago on a plane). Cleaner than the book (especially in the language department), but not anywhere as impactful (but then, 550 pages translated to two hours of film is a tricky thing to do, generally).
knight and scribe
HermitoftheNorthernMarch
ROotL

Post by HermitoftheNorthernMarch » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:08 pm

We watched Lilo and Stitch, it was interesting and I liked it because I like the old style of animation, but it wasn't really one I'd want to watch over and over again. It's good if you like funny and sad movies set in Hawaii.
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. If you really knew Me, you would know My Father as well." - John 14:6-7a
hobbit_of_narnia
Knight
Location: ♫ What's this holding me? I'm not where I'm supposed to be! ♪♫

Post by hobbit_of_narnia » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:12 am

That's exactly how I felt about Lilo and Stitch, Hermit. It was funny and cute, and there were some quotable lines, but it wasn't like it was my favorite movie ever.
If somebody has an idea for a Narnia comic that they weren't planning on making themselves, I <------ This offer still
would be so grateful if they would send it to me in a PM. I am running appallingly low on ideas...! <-- stands. :)
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:59 am

So I went to see The Greatest Showman today. So far as content goes, my only complaint is some of the costumes and a scene in which a woman tries to cozy up with a married man. (Okay, and there's some drinking, including a scene that should have made the characters tipsy at the very least and another scene featuring a bunch of people sleeping in a pub.)
The themes are quite good. What will you risk to achieve a dream? Will you treat people with differences as people? How might success change you? As such, the main character's development had a good progression.
The movie focused more on the main character than I thought it would. That probably sounds strange, but I do mean it. I had expected other characters to take more spotlight than they did, but I think that, for the most part, they were only put in enough focus as was necessary. My one reservation on that with the romantic side-story: he sees a pretty girl, acts upon something she says, and then... they're tentatively holding hands and singing a romantic number? Seems to move pretty quickly. That said, though, I'm glad that their romance didn't eat up as much screentime as I thought it would. Center stage was rightly given to the main character.
I appreciated seeing the effect the main character's actions had on the people around him. It's a common thing to just follow the main character around, but this movie also takes the time to show us the character at a greater distance, the way the smaller characters see him. (I remember someone sitting behind me giving an understanding "hmm" during a particular shot of the movie.) There's one scene edited to contrast him against everyone else that I definitely liked.
Singing is on-point (except for one character whispering a bit of song... whispering and singing don't happen together) (and no too-high notes for Hugh Jackman, like in Les Mis!) and the dancing is fun to watch and edited well. (And something has to be said for the way they start the movie!) The music is also of fare I enjoy. There are a couple songs I'm not crazy about, but I found I liked them better within the context of the film better than on their own.
Overall, I liked it a good deal. I probably won't rank it among my favourite movies of all time, but I count it as above-average.
knight and scribe
knightofnarnia
Knight

Post by knightofnarnia » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:24 am

Watched Darkest Hour which is about the early years of Winston Churchill has prime minister. Very good although some strong language is in the movie.
And whoever will be chief shall be servant of all (Mark 10:44 my version)
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:23 pm

Saw Paddington 2 this weekend. I enjoyed it more than the first film because the conflict was better, even though the levels of ridiculous went up.
knight and scribe
sardhrantor

Post by sardhrantor » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:03 pm

Saw The Matrix a few days ago. I appreciated the Christian parallels, but they sadly gave way to Eastern religion/humanism as the movie progressed. I think it also had a little too much action, and while one use of the Lord's name as a swear word is more than enough, this film did it several times. Any thoughts?

Return to “The Bird and Baby”