What have you been watching?

The meeting place of TLC for conversation that doesn't always include Narnia.

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, Tenethia, Lucy Took

knightofnarnia
Knight

Re: What have you been watching?

Post by knightofnarnia » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:50 am

Saw last week, "Remembering the Titans." Great story reminded me of the verse, "How good it is for the brethren to dwell together in unity."
And whoever will be chief shall be servant of all (Mark 10:44 my version)
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:56 am

@Tooky: *cocks head* I... told you I watched that anime? *has no memory of this* Anyway, I do have to say that said anime's "Britannia" seems to refer more to the Americas than Britain. Either way, I'll grant that those names are not at all Western. Which makes it even weirder when a name like Jeremiah crops up.
Anyway. I'm open to chatting about it over PMs if you are! What with it being most definitely not TLC-friendly and all.

Just finished watching the 1999 adaptation of Mansfield Park. Yikes, is it bad! Upfront: it’s PG-13 and deservedly so for a particular couple-second shot (as well as the circumstances surrounding it). On top of that, it is a terrible adaptation. The heroine and hero are terribly OOC, as are other characters. Somehow, the slave trade and the evils thereof got mixed into everything too? Many elements from the book were hurt by the attempt to truncate everything, which made certain conversations extremely awkward when said in front of large audiences. And there was the uncalled-for vilification of one character as well as the weird redemption of another. Literally, my only pleasures were in recognizing Lindsey Duncan, Hugh Bonneville, and Sofia Myles; Anna Poppelwell is also in it, but we only ever see the top of her head and she has all of two short lines.
Overall, a frightful butchering of the book that I hope to never watch again.
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
Lil
Site Admin

Post by Lil » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:51 pm

Lucy Took wrote:I love FMA: Brotherhood. Get ready to cry. A lot.

Just finished up Victoria this week! Another great season :)

And I also finished another anime that I know Ariel has watched (It involves Mech tanks, an alternate Britannia and me wondering if in all of their research of UK culture they ever looked up what actual Brits name their kids.).
Victoria was good, but not as good as the last season I thought. More stuff that would need to be filtered before I could even I could recommend it. (I felt they seemed to go further than Downton Abbey* did with Thomas. especially that one scene. ugh. )

*does not endorse or recommend the above mentioned drama
Avvie by Siberian Christmas. Signature by Ariel of Narnia

"Maybe Redemption has stories to tell. Maybe forgiveness is right where you fell. Where can you run to escape from yourself? Where you gonna go? Salvation is here." - Dare You to Move (Switchfoot.)
anunknownpevensie
Fanatic: At the broken stone table

Post by anunknownpevensie » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:57 pm

Ice age is WEIRD

And if you want me to respond to anything, you will have to quote me I am afraid.
HermitoftheNorthernMarch
ROotL

Post by HermitoftheNorthernMarch » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:37 am

Ariel.of.Narnia wrote:Don't watch Eragon unless you're okay with losing two hours. As someone who knew next to nothing about the book, I can attest to its being a bad film without any bias resulting from being attached to the book. I don't recall any objectionable content, but the story seemed slapped-together and the characters were not done well.
I watched Eragon with my mom a couple years ago. I've read the book but my mom hasn't. Surprisingly she liked it even though she thinks BBC Merlin has too much magic. I liked watching it, but it was mainly since I'd read the book.

My sister and I watched the live action Fullmetal Alchemist movie. It is sort of a cheesy-monster-horror movie. I am not sure that a viewer unfamiliar with the storyline would understand it because it is very condensed and the characters that they did not cut out of the story have no backstory. It was fun seeing the anime characters as real people and it seemed that they had fun portraying their characters. The content issues are some swear words and violence and there is also a scene in the Gate that has someone who does not own clothes. Most of the violence is restrained in that it has less blood than in the manga, but the filmmakers also liked showing Roy Mustang burning bad guys and this was disturbing and much more graphic than the manga. Also, they did not dub it in English so you have to read captions and try to watch at the same time. I will probably watch most of it again just because I like the manga, though.
Last edited by HermitoftheNorthernMarch on Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. If you really knew Me, you would know My Father as well." - John 14:6-7a
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:17 am

... There’s a live-action FMA?

Forgot to say that I recently watched the adaptation of Emma starring Gwenyth Paltrow. Not too shabby. Some parts were a bit much and Mr Knightly was more humourous than he was in the book, but I thought the condensation of the story worked and the spirit of the story (though done with a more light-hearted humour overall) was still there.
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
jesusgirl4ever

Post by jesusgirl4ever » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:43 pm

Watched Tortured for Christ (about Richard Wurmbrand, who founded Voice of the Martyrs) last night...wow. Just wow.
Lady Jaygee, Royal Pianist and Lover of Cats, Knight of TLC
knightofnarnia
Knight

Post by knightofnarnia » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:52 am

Jaygee is Tortured for Christ very bloody?
And whoever will be chief shall be servant of all (Mark 10:44 my version)
sardhrantor
Fanatic: At the broken stone table

Post by sardhrantor » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:08 pm

Yeah I was wondering the same thing...:/
Lucy Took
Site Admin

Post by Lucy Took » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:35 pm

@Ariel- Yes, there is a live action FMA. It's on Netflix right now. I've watched about 20 minutes of it before deciding that it's so bad it's not something I want to watch by myself, but rather something I need to watch with a sibling so that we can laugh at how terrible it is. Though it does seem to be a lot less bloody than that anime. (Note to younger members....FMA is not for younger members. Partly because it's /really/ bloody.)

I've seen that adaptation of Mansfield Park and um....I didn't hate it. I agree that the slave trade scenes and the um...shots that came along with it were pretty uncomfortable, but I kind of enjoyed the movie as a movie. Then again, I also found the book to be the hardest Austen for me to get into due to not really liking Fanny
(She's just such a doormat.), so I guess I didn't care as much about the OOC-ness of it.

I finally watched Coco. It's Pixar's latest movie. Which means it was beautiful and made me want to cry. May have teared up when my friend started singing the Bing Bong song at a certain point.
Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.

Return to “The Bird and Baby”