What have you been watching?

The meeting place of TLC for conversation that doesn't always include Narnia.

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, Tenethia, Lucy Took

HermitoftheNorthernMarch
ROotL

Re: What have you been watching?

Post by HermitoftheNorthernMarch » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:39 pm

So, my sister and I watched the original MacGyver season 7 and liked it; it was a bit different from season 5, they moved him to a poorer neighborhood and he spends a number of the episodes helping out his new neighbors. It was an interesting change. Then we made the mistake of watching most of season 1. It is very different; most of the episodes have him rescuing beautiful women who always seem to fall in love with him.
We've also been watching animated movies. DreamWorks Sinbad is a movie that had good art and music. The animation of the main characters is in 2D but the backgrounds are done in the computer so it has a different look, but is drawn to look very similar to Prince of Egypt. The story is about a pirate who has to change and do the right thing to keep his childhood best friend from dying. In terms of story, though, it was hard to empathize with the characters. Luthien (my sister), said she felt like the characters needed more backstory.
Kung Fu Panda 3 in this movie, the panda winds up re-uniting with his long lost family and fighting a monster from another dimension. It was pretty enjoyable, with lots of jokes, and I was able to follow the storyline without having seen the other two movies that come before it.
Finally, we also saw Coco. I really liked this movie because I grew up taking music lessons and appreciated the music. Also, I could understand the main character, Miguel's, dilemma, because I had to major in a more practical career rather than things I really like - like art and science. I'm not sure I can recommend this movie, though, because the theological perspective in it is completely different from Christianity. Of course, I can't say the other things I watched in this list had a Christian outlook either.
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. If you really knew Me, you would know My Father as well." - John 14:6-7a
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:18 am

*snickers* Season one of MacGyver is very different indeed. As it is, the pilot shows him using a gun; while he's forever after anti-gun and not because of anything that happened in that ep. :D ... Been a while since I watched MacGyver....
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
anunknownpevensie
Fanatic: At the broken stone table

Post by anunknownpevensie » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:55 pm

The Kung Fu Panda series is one of my favourites EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they are all worth watching if you ask me, but I do have an attraction to kids movies XD

And if you want me to respond to anything, you will have to quote me I am afraid.
narniac101
Contributor

Post by narniac101 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:09 pm

Soooooooo my family is planning on watching Brave tomorrow (we generally watch a movie we've never seen before for New Years' Eve :) ). What's the general opinion from you people who have seen it before? Good, meh, bad, weird, or what? :lol:
Thank you, Hobbit!
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:57 pm

I like Brave and Merida is my third-favourite Disney Princess. (That said, Merida is /not/ the best example and I'll be the first to acknowledge that.) I think the theme is great and the execution thereof is good. Couple cases of bare-bottom humour soil things a bit, but is otherwise pretty clean.
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
jesusgirl4ever

Post by jesusgirl4ever » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:39 am

Just watched I'm Not Ashamed. It's...wow. Very moving and heartwrenching, especially in the last few minutes.
Lady Jaygee, Royal Pianist and Lover of Cats, Knight of TLC
anunknownpevensie
Fanatic: At the broken stone table

Post by anunknownpevensie » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:51 am

Brave is...... good and weird and cool. Very cool, rather good, and naturally weird (due to the Gaelic stuff lol) I liked it though.

And if you want me to respond to anything, you will have to quote me I am afraid.
narniac101
Contributor

Post by narniac101 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:00 pm

Ahhh okay. So from you two, Brave sounds pretty okay. I'm looking forward to seeing it. :)

@ Jaygee: my sister saw that with our youth group a while ago -- she said the same thing about it.

And while I'm in this thread... I saw Star Wars VIII last week. [insert dying fangirl noises]
Thank you, Hobbit!
jesusgirl4ever

Post by jesusgirl4ever » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:42 pm

Gah, yes! TLJ was great, but, man...wow!
Lady Jaygee, Royal Pianist and Lover of Cats, Knight of TLC
narniac101
Contributor

Post by narniac101 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:08 pm

YESSSS. My sentiments exactly. :P .... :cry: :? ... basically aaaaaaaaaaaaaggggggggh my emotions aren't sure what to do with it all, but I still really liked it.

On another note, what do you think of porgs? ;) Because my sister is obsessed with them now.
Thank you, Hobbit!

Return to “The Bird and Baby”