Recipes

The meeting place of TLC for conversation that doesn't always include Narnia.

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, Tenethia, Lucy Took

jesusgirl4ever

Re: Recipes

Post by jesusgirl4ever » Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:58 pm

Yeah, they're refrigerated. They're supposed to harden, but sometimes they don't. They're good either way, though. :D My mom makes them with quick oats (y'know, the kind you mix with water and pop in the microwave).
Lady Jaygee, Royal Pianist and Lover of Cats, Knight of TLC
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:16 pm

I pretty sure they aren't baked.... For sure not the pretzel sort.
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
hansgeorg
Fanatic: At the broken stone table

Post by hansgeorg » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:39 am

well, in that case, the proper way of calling my recipe is chocolate flavour haystack cake!
anunknownpevensie

Post by anunknownpevensie » Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:21 am

Wow. Need to try these sometime. I should contribute something soon, but I don't have my recipes with me. I have a really good one for lemon curd. I love that one.

And if you want me to respond to anything, you will have to quote me I am afraid.
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:46 am

Here's one that an aunt gave me for Cranberry Lemon Cake. And it's delectable.

ingredients:
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tbsp finely grated lemon zest (from 2 lemons)
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (from 1 lemon)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup butter (erm, possibly a little more... my aunt forgot to include the measurement)
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups fresh cranberries

glaze:
- 1/4 lemon juice
- 1 cup icing sugar (or until the thickness you desire)

instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 325 F. Grease a 9x5-inch loaf pan or line with parchment paper.
2. Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
3. Whisk together sour cream, lemon zest, lemon juice, and vanilla. Set aside.
4. In the large bowl of a standing mixer, beat butter and sugar on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 mins. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until fully incorporated.
5. Reduce speed and alternatively beat in 2/3 of flour mixture, followed by 1/2 of sour cream mixture. Repeat and end with the last 1/3 of flour mixture. Pause the mixer occasionally to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Use a spatula to gently fold in cranberries.
6. Spoon batter into pan and bake 55-60 mins, until top springs back when lightly pressed or a toothpick inserted in the cener comes out clean. Cool 5 mins in pan, then transfer to a cooling rack. Cool completely before icing.
7. For the glaze, whisk together lemon juice and icing sugar until there are no lumps, then drizzle over cooled cake.
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
hansgeorg

Post by hansgeorg » Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:37 pm

On top of that nearly locivorious. Apart from vanilla, all things grow or are laid in US (as well as in Europe, unless our ... yes, right:)

US Cranberries are, like Canajun ones, Vaccinium macrocarpon. European ones (at least British, but I think else where too) Vaccinium oxycoccos. (Sweden too, I just checked).

I think either of them would go well with the recipy.
Benisse
Site Admin

home made tortillas

Post by Benisse » Fri May 06, 2016 8:13 pm

In honor of Cinco de Mayo, here is my family's favorite tortilla recipe:

Ingredients
3 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup warm tap water
ADD CHECKED ITEMS TO GROCERY LIST
Directions
In a large bowl blend together flour and oil using a fork. Dissolve the salt in the warm water and slowly add water to flour mixture until dough comes together. Shape into a ball and knead for 3 minutes. Return dough to bowl, cover with with plastic wrap and let sit for at least 30 minutes. Divide dough into 12 golf ball size pieces. Roll each piece into a 8 inch round using a rolling pin or a bottle. Cook the tortillas in a hot skillet over medium high heat until each side is slightly browned. Wrap in foil and keep in warm oven until ready to use. Unused tortillas may be stored wrapped in the refrigerator

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/home ... ecipe.html#!
Xin Yesu, Xiang Yesu - Believe Jesus, Be like Jesus
LWW art in my avvy and siggy by my daughter
jasmine_tarkheena

Post by jasmine_tarkheena » Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:34 pm

There is a pasta dish called a "Rishda" (and trust me, it sounds nicer than the Calormene Tarkaan captain from The Last Battle).

https://hind-toufga.blogspot.com/2017/0 ... e.html?m=1 (link approved by Ariel_of_Narnia; site is not affiliated with TLC, click at your own risk)

There's also this recipe for Pretzel Salad (I think it's more like a cheesecake with pretzels as the crust). It's traditionally with strawberry jello and strawberries, but you can do it with raspberry jello and raspberries or even peach jello and peaches.

6 oz strawberry Jell-O
2 cups boiling water
2 1/2 cups salted pretzels, (measured before crushing)
1/4 cup granulated sugar
8 Tbsp unsalted butter
8 oz package cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
8 oz cool whip, thawed in the fridge
1 lb fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced

Pre-heat oven to 350°F. Combine strawberry Jell-O with 2 cups boiling water and stir until completely dissolved. Set aside to cool to room temperature. Crush 2 1/2 cups pretzels in a sturdy ziploc bag, using a rolling pin. In a medium sauce pan, melt 8 Tbsp butter then add 1/4 cup sugar and stir. Mix in crushed pretzels. Transfer to a 13x9 glass casserole dish, pressing the pretzel mix evenly over the bottom of the dish and bake for 10 min at 350°F, then cool to room temp. When pretzels have cooled, use an electric hand mixer to beat 8 oz cream cheese and 1/2 cup sugar on med/high speed until fluffy and white. Fold in 8 oz Cool Whip until no streaks of cream cheese remain. Spread mixture over cooled pretzels, spreading to the edges of the dish to create a tight seal. Refrigerate 30 min. Hull and slice 1 lb strawberries then stir into your room temperature jello. Pour and spread strawberry jello mixture evenly over your cooled cream cheese layer and refrigerate until jello is set (2-4 hours).
Lily of Archenland
ROotL

Post by Lily of Archenland » Thu May 05, 2022 5:26 am

Ok. Gonna try to guesstimate how to describe a thing I like to do.

Bacon/streaky bacon, preferably starting with uncooked
Boneless skinless chicken meat, chopped in small chunks
Coarsely chopped large white onion
Minced garlic to taste, but probably a little more than you think you need
Fresh cilantro/coriander
Cumin powder. At least two good tablespoons.
Chicken stock or two chicken stock cubes
Citrus, preferably lime juice, lemon acceptable if lime can't be had
Pre-cooked and/or canned beans. Pinto preferable, cannellini or kidney ok, black beans would overwhelm the flavor.
Chopped mild green chilis.

Fry up your bacon in the bottom of a large saucepan or stew pot. Set meat aside, leave rendered grease. If starting with precooked bacon, fry the pieces in vegetable oil to lend the oil some of their flavor before removing.. Add in chopped onion, minced garlic, and some of the cilantro. Sautee until onion is translucent.
Add and sear chicken cubes.
Add some of the stock or the stock cubes+some water to the grease and veg.
Add beans of choice, chilis, cumin, more cilantro. As much of the cilantro as you'd like in the recipe at this point, but reserve a bit for garnish.
Add back as much of the bacon as desired, chopped or crumbled.
Top off the pot with more broth or water.
Stew until the chicken cubes are well cooked and the flavors have fully mingled in the broth.
Pour in citrus juice to taste near to serving time.
Ladle into bowls, garnish.

Optional to serve on top of rice.

This is one of my family's favorite things I cook.
jasmine_tarkheena

Post by jasmine_tarkheena » Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:03 am

There's a pasta dish called a Rishda (different than the one I have previously linked, which is a stew. Either way, it sounds a lot nicer than the person).

Angel hair pasta may be used
4-6 meat pieces (may use extra firm tofu if vegetarian or vegan
1 medium onion finely chopped
3-4 table spoon tomato paste
1 tea spoons each of: black pepper, turmeric, red chili powder, ginger, cinnamon
11/2 liter boiling water
4-5 medium onion cut into thin wings
2 cups chick peas soaked over night
1 tea spoon ground cloves
2 sticks cinnamon or 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Put onions, spices, tomato paste and oil at the bottom part of the couscousiere. Stir and add the meat till the meat is cooked. Cook the chickpeas. Slice the onions into rings and add to the sauce. Place the rishda in the couscousiere and cook uncovered for around 15 minutes. Take down the couscousiere and pour the rishda into a bowl to fluff or separate the noodles to make sure they are not clumping. Put the rishda back in the couscousiere and cook again till fully cooked, around 20 minutes. Add potatoes and pumpkin to the sauce at the bottom part of the couscousiere. May add sweet potatoes as well. Take off the rishda, pour into a wide bowl if communal or separate plates. Pour the sauce over the noodles/pasta, and then add the meat and potatoes and pumpkin.

Return to “The Bird and Baby”