Recipes

The meeting place of TLC for conversation that doesn't always include Narnia.

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, Tenethia, Lucy Took

Shield Maiden
Knight

Recipes

Post by Shield Maiden » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:50 pm

Seeing as Christmas is coming up, I thought it would be nice to share baking recipes with each other. :)

Mug Brownie (my current favourite treat):

6 tablespoons hot chocolate powder
4 tablespoons flour
3 tablespoons vegetable oil (avoid olive oil)
2 tablespoons water
pinch of salt

Mix everything together well in a mug and microwave for about a minute and a half. If still not finished, microwave in 10-20 second intervals until done. It should feel solid around the edges when finished.

Peanut Butter Cookies

1 1/4 cups flour
1/2 cups shortening
1/2 teaspoons baking soda
2/3 cups lightly packed brown sugar
1/4 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cups peanut butter
1 egg

Preheat oven to 350°. Sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Separately, cream together the remaining ingredients except the egg. When mixed, blend in the egg. Stir in dry ingredients. Shape into small balls and place on a greased baking sheet about 3 inches apart. Press 1/2 inch thick with a floured fork. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until nicely browned.
Team Cap. Sig made by Ariel.
hansgeorg
Fanatic: At the broken stone table

Re: Recipes

Post by hansgeorg » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:25 pm

Thank you!

Will try to get a recipe of Stollen to go with it.

Yes, here it is:

Ginger-Orange Stollen
Yield: 2 to 4 loaves (24 to 32 servings)
Time: About 6 hours, mostly unattended, plus time to let the stollen sit before serving

1 cup golden raisins
1 cup dried cherries
1 cup chopped crystallized ginger
1 cup sliced or slivered almonds
⅔ cup orange liqueur (like Grand Marnier or Cointreau)
1¾ cups (3½ sticks) butter
⅓ cup milk, preferably not skim
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon grated orange zest
2¼ teaspoons instant yeast or one ¼-ounce packet active dry yeast
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cardamom
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Oil or butter for greasing the bowl and baking sheet
1½ cups powdered sugar

1. Combine the raisins, cherries, crystallized ginger, almonds, and orange liqueur in a medium bowl. Stir to combine, cover, and let sit at room temperature while you make the dough or overnight if time allows.

2. Meanwhile, put 1 cup (2 sticks) of the butter and the milk in a small saucepan over medium-low heat and cook until the butter melts (or combine the butter and milk in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave in 30-second intervals until the butter melts). Combine the flour, ¼ cup of the sugar, the orange zest, the yeast, 1 teaspoon of the ground ginger, the cardamom, the salt, and the nutmeg in a large bowl. When the butter mixture cools to 100°F—about the same temperature as the inside of your wrist—add it to the flour mixture and stir with the dough-hook attachment of a stand mixer or by hand. Lightly beat together the eggs and vanilla and stir them into the dough.

3. Knead the dough with the dough-hook attachment of a stand mixer or by hand until it feels smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. Grease a large bowl (it’s fine to use the same one you mixed the dough in), add the dough, and turn it over to coat it lightly with oil or butter. Cover the bowl with a clean kitchen towel or plastic wrap, put it in a warm place, and let the dough rise for 1½ to 2 hours.

4. Punch down the dough and add the raisin mixture. Knead the dough in the bowl with the dough-hook attachment of a stand mixer or by hand until the fruit, nuts, and ginger are evenly incorporated. (The dough will be sticky.) Grease a baking sheet and shape the dough, as well as you can, into 2 to 4 long, oval loaves on the baking sheet. Cover the baking sheet with a clean kitchen towel or plastic wrap, put it in a warm place, and let the loaves rise for 1 hour.

5. Heat the oven to 350°F. Uncover the baking sheet and bake until the loaves are golden brown, about 35 minutes (for smaller loaves) to 1 hour (for larger loaves). When the stollen is done, melt the remaining ¾ cup (1½ sticks) butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat (or in a microwave-safe bowl in the microwave). Brush the tops and sides of the stollen with the butter while the loaves are still warm. Combine the remaining ¾ cup sugar and 1 teaspoon ground ginger and sprinkle over the stollen. Cool thoroughly. Sprinkle the powdered sugar all over the stollen, pressing lightly to help it stick. Wrap each loaf in foil or plastic wrap and let sit at room temperature for at least 1 day before serving.

Courtesy of Slate:
http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/201 ... aking.html

Which I got to courtesy of Tea at Trianon:
http://teaattrianon.blogspot.fr/2014/12/stollen.html
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:12 pm

That sounds yummy!
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
anunknownpevensie

Post by anunknownpevensie » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:38 pm

Wow, Hans. That sounds good. As do the brownies and peanut better cookies of course ;)

And if you want me to respond to anything, you will have to quote me I am afraid.
hansgeorg

Post by hansgeorg » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:12 pm

I have never baken it, but eaten it.

In baking, I am into bread and into sponge cake, mainly.

One more, for any feast, but not sure it counts as baking since involving no oven:

* butter
* sugar
* cacao (or however you spell it in English)
* oat flakes

Mix in that order. Form small balls (one inch rather than two across). Dip in cocos flakes. Put into fridge to solidify.
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:54 am

Oh man, that sounds good!
knight and scribe
hansgeorg

Post by hansgeorg » Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:49 pm

But don't know what to call them in English.

SWedish negerbollar has two problems with direct translation.

Negro MIGHT in English sound offensive (they are trying to push that "neger" in Swedish is, but we have not had black slaves for centuries and a neger is more likely to be a free African from Tanzania or Kenya as someone with slave ancestry). And in Swedish "bollar" never refers to male anatomy. Unlike the English word also used for pingpong balls (about the size of this dish), socker balls, tennis balls.

How about Afropellets?
hobbit_of_narnia
Knight
Location: ♫ What's this holding me? I'm not where I'm supposed to be! ♪♫

Post by hobbit_of_narnia » Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:30 pm

Those sound amazing! They sound a little like no-bake cookies.
hansgeorg wrote: * cacao (or however you spell it in English)
:lol: Honestly, I'm more comfortable with European spelling than American. I suppose it's because of all the European books I've grown up on. :)
If somebody has an idea for a Narnia comic that they weren't planning on making themselves, I <------ This offer still
would be so grateful if they would send it to me in a PM. I am running appallingly low on ideas...! <-- stands. :)
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:04 pm

@hansgeorg: They kind of sound like a sort of "haystack" cookie, though most of the ones I've seen are more pretzel- or coconut-oriented.
knight and scribe
hansgeorg

Post by hansgeorg » Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:43 pm

OK, chocolate haystack, then?

Supposing the haystack ones you mentioned are not baked in oven.

Return to “The Bird and Baby”