Star Wars Discussion Thread (SPOILERS!!!!!!!!)

The meeting place of TLC for conversation that doesn't always include Narnia.

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, Tenethia, Lucy Took

jesusgirl4ever

Re: Star Wars Discussion Thread (SPOILERS!!!!!!!!)

Post by jesusgirl4ever » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:16 pm

YES, YES, YES!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE THAT VIDEO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Have you seen his LotR in 99 seconds?)
Lady Jaygee, Royal Pianist and Lover of Cats, Knight of TLC
sochi602
Regular: Meeting Father Christmas

Post by sochi602 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:38 pm

Ariel.of.Narnia wrote:Just popping in to share a video I found that even I find highly amusing: Star Wars in 99 seconds. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22mdHYEzKC0 (YouTube is not affiliated with TLC; click at your own risk. In addition to that warning, be careful in checking out other stuff by this guy as at least a few of his videos include inappropriate lyrics.)
I LOVE Paint! They did a great job with a LotR video also!
knightofnarnia
Knight

Post by knightofnarnia » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:15 am

Did anyone see that they made a Star Wars VIII production announcement on youtube? It is a short video with a scene that seems to come from the end of the Force Awakens.
And whoever will be chief shall be servant of all (Mark 10:44 my version)
sochi602
Regular: Meeting Father Christmas

Post by sochi602 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:22 pm

knightofnarnia wrote:Did anyone see that they made a Star Wars VIII production announcement on youtube? It is a short video with a scene that seems to come from the end of the Force Awakens.
Yes!!!!!! I was so happy!!!!!
knightofnarnia
Knight

Post by knightofnarnia » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:18 am

3 possibillities about the scene they seemed to be shooting.
1 pure publicity stunt if that is the case there is no scene like that in Episode VIII (This is what I thought at first)
2 A flash back scene in that case it might be anywhere in the movie except probably not at the beginning
3 A continuation of Star Wars VII in that case it would be at the beginning in order to link the two movies togheter.
Personally I favor the first or second possibillities the third seems unlikely but I guess we will see. I'm excited to see what they will do.
Ajnos
Site Admin

Post by Ajnos » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:59 am

This isn't relevant to the discussion of the new movies (but the title doesn't specify that). I thought I'd share with you my unusual experience in re-watching the original Star Wars films a little while ago.

On my flight back from England last month (which consisted of two legs of 7 and 9 hours each) they had all 6 previous films on the view-on-demand in-flight entertainment. It had probably been about 9 years since I last watched the films (I was obsessed with them in highschool but I'm not big on rewatching the same films over and over again). Anyway, technically I could have watched all 6 but the first leg was overnight and I did want to *try* get some sleep. In the end I just watched the first three.

I started playing A New Hope as we were taking off and can now conclude that there are not many experiences better than watching the opening back-story scroll up the screen to the epic music of Star Wars while on a plane which is accelerating and taking off. Ideally you want to try this at night and it is an added advantage if you're at a window seat from which you can see the awesome sight of London (or some other major city) lit up at night (I've never seen London from the sky at night and it was incredible - I even had to pause Star Wars for a bit just to enjoy it). As we ascended, I could imagine us eventually ending up outside the earth's orbit and really in outer space. One of the things that stuck me so much watching it for the first time in 9 years, is how young the main actors looked. When did they suddenly become younger than me?!!

After the first film finished I tried to sleep for a bit and listened to a Sherlock Homes audio drama (audio is nice when you can't sleep on a plane 'cause at least you can close your eyes). I think I dozed a bit because I'm not entirely sure what happened in the middle of the story. (I should probably add that I was already a bit out of it when I got on the plane, since I'd only had 5 hours sleep the night before and was stressed and exhausted from packing - but also have a terrible record for being able to fall asleep on an aeroplane).

After a ridiculously early "wake-up" by the plane crew, and a two hour stop-over in Dubai, I got on my second flight and started watching Empire Strikes Back. The fatigue was really getting to me by this time and although I still couldn't really sleep, I closed my eyes from time to time and had fits of dozing off. It was all a bit bizarre because all these alarm-sounds and shooting and crashing and emergency shouting were going on in the film and I kept half-thinking the alarm sounds were on the plane. Turns out it's a bit dangerous listening to Star Wars on a plane while half asleep.

Eventually I realised this wasn't working and gave up trying to watch (I think they brought us something to eat about this time - we'd crossed four time zones and were now heading back across another two, so I and they were thoroughly confused at to what time of day it ought to be). In the mean time, I'd discovered that the plane also had available a South African film I've been wanting to see for ages (it stars Katie McGrath from Merlin) and I've never seen it available anywhere so I decided to watch that after I'd eaten. When that was finished, I went back to the part of ESB where I'd stopped paying attention and finished it. Again I was struck by how young the actors looked.

After some other meal (I was now approaching over 30 hours without having had any real sleep) I looked at the time left before we landed. There was just enough to get through Return of the Jedi but they often take our headphones and/or start playing announcements on our screens up to half an hour before we land so I probably wouldn't make it though. I decided to start it anyway and for the first time the actors looked more the age I usually picture them (how many years were there between Ep IV and VI?) Since I knew I wouldn't make it through the whole film I skipped over a few sections (especially the Ewok chase-scene). I succeeded in getting to the end before they gathered our headphones. I'll have to keep rewatching the prequels for another occasion.

And that, my friends, is the story of what happens when you watch Star Wars at 30 000ft while confined to a small area and half asleep.
Thank you for the set Happy!!

Born a Daughter of Eve; Now a Daughter of the Second Adam
knightofnarnia
Knight

Post by knightofnarnia » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:24 pm

Congrats Ajnos (By the way there is six years between SW IV and SW VI 1977 and 1983 respectively.)The Star Wars saga are my favorite movies. Wish the long flight airline I took nearly two years ago had them (I checked). By the way if you watch Episode VII you quickly realize how old the actors really are. Except Mark Hamil (Luke) I think they made him look older.
cor
Knight

Post by cor » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:34 pm

Yeah, they probably did make them older, because Kylo is Han and Leia's son and he's what.......in his thirties? Late twenties? I don't know I just read that somewhere. Just a random note, sorry for butting in.
*is such a cocky shapechanger*
I am Kili to Gypse's Fili. And apparently to Alex's Legolas...
*is a Bore sitting on my Bor's head*
Ajnos
Site Admin

Post by Ajnos » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:13 pm

Yeah, obviously in ep VII they are their real age now (almost 40 years older than in A New Hope). But my point is, last time I watched eps IV to VII, Leia, Luke and Han were still older than me (i.e. The characters based on the ages of the actors when it was filmed were a good few years older than me). This time watching eps IV to VI, they they actually looked younger in that film than my current age. Especially in A New Hope. In addition, the age they were in Return of the Jedi is the age I expected them to look in all the original films which is why their youngerness (yes I want to say "youngerness" not "youthfulness") in A New Hope was so startling.

But basically all to say it made me feel old :p
Thank you for the set Happy!!

Born a Daughter of Eve; Now a Daughter of the Second Adam
knightofnarnia
Knight

Post by knightofnarnia » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:45 am

Cor, I read on the internet that there was supposed to be 32 years between Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens. Which would mean Kylo Ren was born a few years after Return of the Jedi if you are right. (And called Ben Solo) Late twenties seems to allow for more time for marriage and birth than early thirties. Anjos when I watched the original trilogy I too was younger than the actors and now I am a bit older. But seeing them in SW VII did much to change my view on their age :D . Looking forward to May 2017 when they are scheduled to release Episode VIII.

Return to “The Bird and Baby”