Spoilers for Downton Abbey, Darling

The meeting place of TLC for conversation that doesn't always include Narnia.

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, Tenethia, Lucy Took

Lucy Took
Site Admin

Spoilers for Downton Abbey, Darling

Post by Lucy Took » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:31 pm

I just finished season Five. I can't believe I've watched almost all of Downton within a month,but at least I don't feel lazy given that I've managed to knit a baby blanket while watching.

There must be some sort of rule on this show that kids can't have two parents.
Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.
elanorelle
Contributor

Re: Spoilers for Downton Abbey, Darling

Post by elanorelle » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:46 pm

Well, I'm nearly finished (two eps left of the fifth season) and I started on Sunday!

*grins* I was actually thinking that. It must be a curse or something. How else did the sisters' children happen to have only one parent? Sybbie and George were only with both parents for a short time and Marigold didn't even get to be with her father!

I'll be back with more thoughts once I finish this season.
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:55 am

*stalks* :)
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
elanorelle
Contributor

Post by elanorelle » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:15 am

Okay, so I finished the fifth series yesterday - I guess around a series per day then, eh? It's certainly been a relaxing week before getting back into the swing of school.

Downton was something I've wanted to watch for a while but never got around to, so I'm glad I finally gave it a chance. It can seem slow at times with all the parties and dinners, but I like that because it gives the characters time to engage with one another. (Does anyone else wonder what the actors are actually talking about when the camera isn't on them? :P I tended to do that.) Most the characters were all rounded enough, especially considering the large cast. Of all the characters, I think Tom would be my favourite: He's come so far since the first season, really becoming a part of the Crawley family and the confidante of both Mary and Edith. His sendoff by Lord Grantham was so touching, well, the entire last episode was full of all sorts of touching moments. I'm so glad he's coming back for series 6!

The time period is also something I quite enjoy, especially with all the events woven into the stories. Along with that, the setting and costuming are superb! It's so beautiful just to watch. The soundtrack is also nice, sometimes generic but the motifs are nice to listen to.
hansgeorg
Fanatic: At the broken stone table

Post by hansgeorg » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:36 am

Oh, it is DownTON Abbey, not DownTOWN Abbey!

Hmmmmm ... that just DID spoil my query about why an Abbey would be identified as "downtown" ...
elanorelle
Contributor

Post by elanorelle » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:43 am

Yeah, My family also had the same mix-up with the pronunciation at first. :) It would be completely different if it were Downtown Abbey, I should think.

*edit*
So, I've seen the latest two episodes and there was, perhaps, a feeling of emptiness? But that must be purposeful with Rose and Tom now gone.
Anna and Bates! It seems as if the world is out to get them what with all the unhappiness they have to go through.
Edith should just tell Mary. Does the Drew family really have to leave? I feel sorry for them.
Daisy's outburst felt ooc, but maybe that's just the work of Bunting.
elanorelle
Contributor

Post by elanorelle » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:30 am

Watched the 3rd episode:
If Edith doesn't find true contentment in this last season, I don't know what I'll do.
I wonder what will happen with Thomas, it doesn't look like anything's working out for him.
Anna is doing better now, maybe it will work this time around.
The hospital situation is causing such dissension... there should be a compromise...
I think I'm with Daisy about Mr Mason moving to Yew tree, as much as I feel bad about the Drewes leaving.
Aww, the wedding. ☺
Toooooommmmmm! :D Gah, I loved the ending. ^-^
elanorelle
Contributor

Post by elanorelle » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:53 pm

Glad to see Tom's back: he doesn't have much to do at the moment, besides being there - but it is still nice to have him around, especially with all the characters welcoming him back with open arms.
Anna and Bates may have their happiness after all.
Ooh, I think know what's gonna happen with Mary now.
A bit of foreshadowing with Thomas, eh? Hmm...

This season is definitely about tying up all the loose ends as far as I can tell, and that's okay with me. :)
Lil
Site Admin

Post by Lil » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:03 am

Just saw an episode with a bit of bother with Mr Grantham. I'm still in shock. :shock: :( :shock:
Avvie by Siberian Christmas. Signature by Ariel of Narnia

"Maybe Redemption has stories to tell. Maybe forgiveness is right where you fell. Where can you run to escape from yourself? Where you gonna go? Salvation is here." - Dare You to Move (Switchfoot.)
elanorelle
Contributor

Post by elanorelle » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:56 am

Oh my, I know what you mean. I wasn't expecting /that/.

Return to “The Bird and Baby”