This is the Chat Thread. Proceed to Chat.

The meeting place of TLC for conversation that doesn't always include Narnia.

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, Tenethia, Lucy Took

Lucy Took
Site Admin

Re: This is the Chat Thread. Proceed to Chat.

Post by Lucy Took » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:23 am

Hobbit, I've had about four years of voice lessons....you never stop learning how to breath. Get used to it. Voice lessons are basically breathing lessons :P But they really do help a lot, I even have a recording or two of my singing buried around if you want to PM me. Or if you just want to talk. What voice part are you, or are you still discovering that? I thought I was a mezzo for the longest time. Hah. I'm actually a piercingly high soprano.

Life right now is pretty much just ice cream shop and paperwork for grad school. I think I'm going to do some sewing tomorrow.
Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:42 am

@Tooky: Oh, wow, a soprano! I never understood how anyone could physically sing so high, but Od built me to be an alto, so.... ;)
What do you plan on sewing?
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
hobbit_of_narnia
Knight
Location: ♫ What's this holding me? I'm not where I'm supposed to be! ♪♫

Post by hobbit_of_narnia » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:59 am

@Tooky: Haha, yes, that's what I heard. I don't mind it, actually. Apparently I have an advantage due to having a broad ribcage and large lungs, I just haven't been using any of it...? This seems to be the story of my life. :P
Ooh, that sounds great! Thanks! :)
I'm...a mezzo-soprano, apparently. I thought I would either be a high soprano because that's what I was in the choir I was in once upon a time (we were jokingly called the "biscuit sopranos" there) or possibly a contralto, but I ended up being classified as a mezzo. So that's good to know because I never knew before. :P

@Ariel: I. Cannot. Sing. Alto. I guess it's because I have three different voice types for my three different octaves and the alto range is right along the "seam" between the two lower octaves, but it's rather irritating sometimes to not be able to sing alto.

So today I watched some clips and scenes from the 1978 LOTR movie and is...well, it's a lot better than what I expected. I can't say I'm completely impressed--the character designs could have used some work, especially for Elrond, Sam, Boromir, and Aragorn (Gondor has no pants...Gondor needs no pants!!)--but the animation is surprisingly good, especially considering the budget. Like...the character movement is terribly realistic. I know that's because they used rotoscope, but still, it's definitely better than anything I could do myself.
If somebody has an idea for a Narnia comic that they weren't planning on making themselves, I <------ This offer still
would be so grateful if they would send it to me in a PM. I am running appallingly low on ideas...! <-- stands. :)
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:20 pm

@Hobbit: I wish I had a greater range myself (probably could be achieved with practice, but singing was never a priority for me, so I never pursued it). If nothing else, it would make singing along to stuff easier, haha.

Gondor has no pants, Gondor needs no pants, and Gondor will have no pants....
I watched the whole thing once and I can’t imagine doing it again myself. I have so many character design complaints and they ended it very badly. All this build-up with the Ring and stuff and they end it with... Helm’s Deep, with the narrator extolling their heroics like it’s the end of the story.
But that’s me, heh-heh.
knight and scribe
Lucy Took
Site Admin

Post by Lucy Took » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:24 pm

I'm working on converting a pair of black dress pants into a black dress skirt. It's pretty easy really, I just rip out the seams between the legs and add a panel of contrasting fabric (In this case a baroque canvas). I'm working on extending my "librarian" wardrobe for when I go to school next fall and skirts are really nice for moving about the stacks in, plus the ones I make from pants are super long and princess-y. I plan on making another skirt when I'm done with this one (And when I thrift another pair of dress pants) and splurdge on some novel page printed fabric for the panel on that.

If your teacher has you pegged as a mezzo, Hobbit, I'm sure that you'll be working on that break sometime. I've gone one as well and while I normally don't sing that low, we did work on it some since a lot of musical theater stuff requires song openings in that break. Though musical theater stuff was mostly to stretch me/for funsies. I'm more of a baroque singer. Though my teacher said that my voice won't be mature for another decade, then he said that if I were to stick with singing I probably would have been able to sing Wagner. But naw, music is just a hobby. Libraries are where it's at.
Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.
hobbit_of_narnia
Knight
Location: ♫ What's this holding me? I'm not where I'm supposed to be! ♪♫

Post by hobbit_of_narnia » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:47 pm

@Ariel: Yeah, I've got a three-octave range most days. The lowest I've ever gone is two B's below middle C (but that's only on a remarkably good singing day), and the highest is I-have-no-idea. But it tends to be three octaves, and on lower days I can go lower but not as high, and on higher days it's vice-versa. So...I have a wide range but it's unpredictable, so I'm not sure if that's even what one could call an advantage. :lol:
I read somewhere that apparently they'd originally planned on doing the entire LOTR story, but they ran out of money...? I dunno.

@Tooky: My teacher said I'm a classical singer but I might be able to sing jazz. I almost hope not, in a strange way, since jazz is one of those extremely rare genres of music that I don't like at all. :P I'll take classical, though. Two of my favorite singers--who are possibly my two absolute favorite singers--have classical voices.
I'd like to try musical theater sometime! It kind of sounds like fun, and I've never had the chance to give it a go.
If somebody has an idea for a Narnia comic that they weren't planning on making themselves, I <------ This offer still
would be so grateful if they would send it to me in a PM. I am running appallingly low on ideas...! <-- stands. :)
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:56 pm

@Tooky: huh! I know nothing about sewing, so I’m not sure I’m imagining these skirts right, but they sound interesting and not necessarily all that hard.

@hobbit: I think I’d heard that too. There is a separate animated RotK, but I think it was made by different people.
knight and scribe
anunknownpevensie
Fanatic: At the broken stone table

Post by anunknownpevensie » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:57 pm

Wooo sorry I have't been online in a few days folks

out-of-state robotics competition :D

And if you want me to respond to anything, you will have to quote me I am afraid.
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:01 am

That's a pretty good reason to not be online, pev. :) How'd you do?
knight and scribe
anunknownpevensie
Fanatic: At the broken stone table

Post by anunknownpevensie » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:00 am

Eh did one-above-average scoring so
GREAT

hehe

Excited things are gonna go well now

And if you want me to respond to anything, you will have to quote me I am afraid.

Return to “The Bird and Baby”