This is the Chat Thread. Proceed to Chat.

The meeting place of TLC for conversation that doesn't always include Narnia.

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, Tenethia, Lucy Took

Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Re: This is the Chat Thread. Proceed to Chat.

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:24 am

@Pev: Hurrah for a fixed computer! :)
I don't observe Jewish holidays (apart from the period of time in which I was in Israel), so no, I won't be doing Chanuukah with you. ;)
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
anunknownpevensie
Fanatic: At the broken stone table

Post by anunknownpevensie » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:37 pm

Awwww :( okay

And if you want me to respond to anything, you will have to quote me I am afraid.
Lucy Took
Site Admin

Post by Lucy Took » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:15 am

I personally don't celebrate Hanukah, though I still think it's a great holiday. :) I had a Messianic Jew explain that Hanukah and Christmas are pretty closely related since they're both about God giving His people light, in Hanukah it's the light of the candlesticks and in Christmas it's Jesus who's the Light of the world.

And I know it's important for you, Pev, so I made you a forum set if you'd like it. I'll be making myself my annual Christmas one soon and it'll be nice to see some diversity on the forum.

Image Image
Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:10 am

That's a nice set, Tooky! Also cool that you got a Messianic Jew's perspective on Chanuukah and Christmas! :D
knight and scribe
anunknownpevensie

Post by anunknownpevensie » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:58 pm

Aww thanks a lot Tooky! :D That's awesome!

That s curious though. I am a Jewish christian (as opposed to a messianic Jew, I have no Jewish roots) but I have kinda been arguing against the opinions that promote both christmas and hanukkah. They are nothing alike as far as I can tell, but there are things about hanukkah that we can remember Christ by just as much as people do christmas.
Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against anyone who celebrates christmas. I just like to point out certain things. Like the fact that we were given multiple major feasts a year that all have prophecy of Christ and that we can celebrate in memory of his time on earth. Yet, nonetheless, for the sake of tradition people remain celebrating a holiday that was made christian by the pope a long time ago, but previously had nothing to do with Christ. :P

SO what else is up with you all?
I remember Ela Enchanted was a bog thing here not too long ago, and I wasn't gonna read it. But last month I did, and I do not regret it. It was a very good book.

And if you want me to respond to anything, you will have to quote me I am afraid.
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:08 am

*shrugs* There will always be differences of opinion. I've got no issues with observing Jewish holidays as long as Jesus is the center; just didn't grow up that way or come to the conclusion that the feasts commanded to Israel are likewise commanded of Christians.

I'm a little surprised you read Ella Enchanted (it being geared toward girls and all), but yes, it's an enjoyable story! If you feel like reading more of the same, I recommend Fairest by the same author.
knight and scribe
anunknownpevensie

Post by anunknownpevensie » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:17 am

Hm
There some thought there.

Nah thanks XD Ella Enchanted was odd but good. I am more into other stuff at the moment.
I am reading the Michael Vey series

HermitoftheNorthernMarch
ROotL

Post by HermitoftheNorthernMarch » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:16 am

My family did celebrate Hanukkah once. I'm not sure we got it right, though. My mom had found a menorah and decided we should celebrate Hanukkah because the President was celebrating too. I remember lighting the candles on multiple nights and singing, but I don't think we did anything else that is traditionally associated.
At one point I went to a non-denominational church and they did observe Passover a couple of times by making a traditional Passover meal. I missed it both times, though, the first time they ran out of plates and the second I was helping in the toddler nursery.
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. If you really knew Me, you would know My Father as well." - John 14:6-7a
hobbit_of_narnia
Knight
Location: ♫ What's this holding me? I'm not where I'm supposed to be! ♪♫

Post by hobbit_of_narnia » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:53 am

I've celebrated Passover but never Hanukkah yet.
If somebody has an idea for a Narnia comic that they weren't planning on making themselves, I <------ This offer still
would be so grateful if they would send it to me in a PM. I am running appallingly low on ideas...! <-- stands. :)
Lucy Took
Site Admin

Post by Lucy Took » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:11 pm

Oh, I just finished Levine's latest book "The Lost Kingdom of Bamarre". It was quite good. I've read all of her fairy tale books, they're kinda my thing.

I've been on two grad school tours and I have my top university picked out, but I'll find out in February which ones I get accepted too. I can't remember if I've mentioned this in the chat thread or not, but I'm in the process of applying to school to become a librarian. It took awhile to figure it out, but I know that it's the general direction that my life needs to be taking.
Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.

Return to “The Bird and Baby”