John 13-17 online P.R.A.Y. study

The meeting place of TLC for conversation that doesn't always include Narnia.

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, Tenethia, Lucy Took

Benisse
Site Admin

John 13-17 online P.R.A.Y. study

Post by Benisse » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:30 am

As we look toward Resurrection Sunday, I would like to invite you to join me in a Bible study from now to just past Easter to look at Jesus' final evening with his disciples before his arrest, crucifixion and glorious resurrection. We will be following a simple P.R.A.Y.* approach:

P-ray: Talk to God before and throughout your study.
Praise and worship God. Confess your sins. Ask for the Holy Spirit's help to understand your text.

R-ead: Read the chapter assigned

A-sk: Ask questions and write your answers according to what the Bible says. Some suggested questions -- feel free to ask your own...
• Who is mentioned?
• What does the text say?
• When did (will) it happen?
• Where did (will, should) it happen?
• Why did (will, should) it happen?
• How would you outline this text?

Y-our application: Apply what you learned to your life today. Ask God, "What would You like me to do today?" While praying, make a practical plan by answering the following questions:
• What will I do?
• When will I do it?
• Where will I do it?
-----------------------------
Schedule:
John 13 - Post your thoughts or highlights from your study by Sunday April 2
John 14 - Post your thoughts or highlights from your study by Thursday April 6
John 15 - Post your thoughts or highlights from your study by Monday April 10
John 16 - Post your thoughts or highlights from your study by Friday April 14
John 17 - Post your thoughts or highlights from your study by Tuesday April 18
-----------------------------
* developed by my friend Bob French, a missionary to the Philippines, with minor adaptations by me

Who is in?
Xin Yesu, Xiang Yesu - Believe Jesus, Be like Jesus
LWW art in my avvy and siggy by my daughter
hobbit_of_narnia
Knight
Location: ♫ What's this holding me? I'm not where I'm supposed to be! ♪♫

Re: John 13-17 online P.R.A.Y. study

Post by hobbit_of_narnia » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:38 am

I'll try to make it. I'll at least try to do the readings, even if I don't post in this thread. :)
If somebody has an idea for a Narnia comic that they weren't planning on making themselves, I <------ This offer still
would be so grateful if they would send it to me in a PM. I am running appallingly low on ideas...! <-- stands. :)
HermitoftheNorthernMarch
ROotL

Post by HermitoftheNorthernMarch » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:48 pm

I'm in, thanks.
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. If you really knew Me, you would know My Father as well." - John 14:6-7a
Swanwhite
Site Admin

Post by Swanwhite » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:18 pm

I'm in :)
HermitoftheNorthernMarch
ROotL

Post by HermitoftheNorthernMarch » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:32 pm

I'm posting this early because of work.

The Gospel of John Chapter 13
• Who is mentioned?
-Jesus Christ, Simon Peter, Judas Iscariot, John, the rest of the disciples as a whole, and a rooster.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... ersion=NIV

- The evening before the Passover with prophecies that Judas would betray Jesus by morning and that Peter would deny Him before a rooster crowed. One general prophecy that, "By this all people will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another." (HCSB)

- Jesus spoke to His disciples in the Upper room of a house in Jerusalem.

- Jesus was teaching His disciples because He knew that He would be killed. Jesus washed His disciples' feet as a dual-example of cleansing from sin and to show how it was important for they in turn to humble themselves and "wash others' feet" [teach people how they could be forgiven of sin.] Jesus predicted Judas' betrayal to the disciples so they would believe in Jesus when the betrayal occurred and realize later God's plan. Judas Iscariot left to betray Jesus because of the evil in his heart and so that the Scriptures might be fulfilled. Jesus predicts Peter's denial because Jesus knew Peter better than Peter knew himself.

• How would you outline this text?
-Jesus cared for His disciples; He knew He would be going away, and wanted to prepare them. He helped them identify with being cleansed from sin as being in fellowship with Jesus. Then Jesus predicted Judas' betrayal and Judas confirmed it through his actions. Even though Jesus spoke plainly, the disciples still could not believe that Judas would betray Jesus. Jesus explains that what He is doing glorifies God and tells his disciples a new command to "love one another." After this, He tells them that Peter will deny Him.

• What will I do?
- Remember that a servant is not greater than his master and to follow God above others.
- Remember to confess sins so that God will forgive them and I can be in fellowship with Him.
- Remember that we should love other people to show we follow God.
- Remember that Peter denied Jesus and that he was still forgiven.

• When will I do it?
- I will review these goals this week when I wake up and when I go to work.

• Where will I do it?
- work and home
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. If you really knew Me, you would know My Father as well." - John 14:6-7a
Benisse
Site Admin

Post by Benisse » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:21 pm

John 13 P-R-A-Y

P-ray (John 13:1,4-16, 18-26)
Dear Jesus,
Thank you so much for being our example: in extreme stress, crisis and impending betrayal+denial+crucifixion, your focus was not on yourself, but on demonstrating your deep love for your disciples. You wanted to show us all what it means to truly, deeply love -- that is, to truly serve and humbly forgive (c.f. footwashing vs. needing a bath). You took on the lowly role of a servant to wash the feet of each of your disciples, including Judas(!), and you continued to reach out to him until he shut you out and the Enemy took control of him, and it was night (your last act before Judas went out was to offer fellowship in the form of breaking/dipping bread and offering it to him!).

Your love goes beyond our ability to fail and mess up; even though you knew he was going to deny knowing you that same night, you washed Peter’s feet too and assured him that he was already clean, having bathed in the cleansing faith of trusting you as Messiah. You were planting loving seeds of hope against the coming storm.

Thank you for your merciful patient forgiving love; nothing I can do or say can separate me from your love no matter how often I turn from you and choose self instead. Thank you that you love me even when I don’t “get it” and am depending on my own strength rather than seeking to do your will. You are faithful to forgive, and you call us to follow in your footsteps to forgive others, and to love as you have loved us. Help us to love with your same humility and dedication to truly serve and freely forgive. May others see you in us so that they may know we are your disciples.
In Jesus name, Amen

R-ead & A-sk
1. Besides the custom of having a servant wash the guests’ feet so that they would be refreshed when they reclined at table, what does Jesus mean by this act? (These are my thoughts; I hope I am not reading too much into the story.)
vv1,3-5 He wanted to show them the full extent of his love, humble, selfless, serving, giving.
v8. It symbolized forgiveness and the restoration of the spiritual bond between them and Jesus; their feet were dirty from contact with the dusty roads on the way to the Supper. Except for Judas, however, they were “clean” – and didn’t need to take a bath (~be washed and regenerated spiritually) but only get their feet washed (~confession and forgiveness to get right with God again.).
v14. Just as Jesus modeled loving humility, forgiveness and restoration, I need to follow his example as I “wash the feet” of others.

2. What would I title this chapter? How would I outline it?
Title: Love to the Max
Outline:
vv1-17 Footwashing
vv18-38 Foretelling
a. predicting his betrayal (vv16-30)
b. predicting his glorification (vv31-35)
c. predicting Peter’s denial (vv36-38)

3. Glorify – what does Jesus mean?
When Jesus talks about being glorified he is talking about the coming crisis of betrayal, suffering, crucifixion etc. On the surface this use of “glorify” seems rather counter-intuitive! But I think Jesus is focusing not on the cost and the pain of redemption but on fulfilling the work God has brought him into the world at the time and place to accomplish. When we yield ourselves to God’s will, we give glory to God and experience Him intimately as he inexplicably bestows glory back onto us.

4. This was Jesus’ last meal with his closest followers before the cross. What was his focus?
reassurance and love – you belong to me and I will forgive you; I know you are going to mess up, but I still love you; so love each other in the same way, and keep believing (1, 4-16, 18, 19)
hope for reunion after the coming separation: “You will follow later” (v36)

Y-our application
1. given Jesus’ example of seeing the road to the cross and seeking to glorify God and let God glorify him through yielding to God’s plan and focusing on completing the task God had given him: I too need to embrace God’s will and his ways no matter if they take me up rocky roads. My focus needs to be on submitting to His will and accomplishing the good that He has givien me to do.

2. I want to be a source of acceptance and love, hope and service to those I encounter today.
Benisse
Site Admin

Post by Benisse » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:25 pm

Hermia, I love your applications -- so concrete and measurable! Thanks for your insights.
Benisse
Site Admin

Post by Benisse » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:28 pm

[I tried to delete this duplicate post but it would not delete since it was not the last post. oops]
Last edited by Benisse on Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Swanwhite
Site Admin

Post by Swanwhite » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:19 pm

I find these chapters to be some of the most powerful for me. Especially the parts where Jesus is teaching these core lessons to His followers. I really appreciate the encouragement to spend time with these words.

• Who is mentioned?
Jesus and the disciples
Jesus is eating the Passover meal with his disciples and he wants to prepare them for His death and teach them what they need to hear the most. He washed their feet.
On Passover and not long before Jesus’ arrest and crucifixion.
In an upper room.
Because of the love of Jesus
• How would you outline this text?

-Jesus washes their feet and tells them to wash each other’s feet

-Jesus tells them about Judas’s betrayal and Judas leaves to fulfill it.

-Jesus talks about how He and the Father are glorified and glorify each other.

-Jesus commands us to love each other as He has loved us.

-Jesus tells them that He is going where they cannot follow and tells Peter that he will deny Him three times.

Y-our application: Apply what you learned to your life today. Ask God, "What would You like me to do today?" While praying, make a practical plan by answering the following questions:
• What will I do?
We are commanded to serve and love in the way that Jesus did. I will ask God to make me more aware of the needs of my family and those around me and ways that I can love and serve them. I will do more of the housework, and chores without being asked. I will listen to others and look for ways to love and serve them.
• When will I do it?
Today and continuing.
• Where will I do it?
At my home, at church, at other volunteer opportunities
Benisse
Site Admin

Post by Benisse » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:05 am

Swan, thank you for practical applications... Loving service begins at home...

Return to “The Bird and Baby”