John 13-17 online P.R.A.Y. study

The meeting place of TLC for conversation that doesn't always include Narnia.

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, Tenethia, Lucy Took

HermitoftheNorthernMarch
ROotL

Re: John 13-17 online P.R.A.Y. study

Post by HermitoftheNorthernMarch » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:47 am

Gospel of John: Chapter 14

Who is mentioned?
-Jesus Christ, Thomas, Philip, and Judas (son of James, not Iscariot).

What does the text say?
- This chapter explains the Trinity and promises that the Holy Spirit will come.

When did it happen?
- In the Upper Room, after Judas Iscariot had left to betray Jesus. The disciples who remained would eventually receive the Holy Spirit at Pentecost.

Where did/will/should it happen?
- Jesus was predicting what would happen after He returned to the Father, He did not say where it would happen. In Acts 2, we read that the apostles were meeting in a house in Jerusalem on Pentecost when the Holy Spirit came to them.

Why did/will/should it happen?
- Jesus was again explaining that He knew what was going to happen and that God had a plan. Jesus explains that the Holy Spirit will be sent as a Comforter, so they would not be alone without God in the world, and that they would continue to be taught by the Holy Spirit after Jesus returned to the Father. This explains how the apostles were able to write the epistles and record the gospels accurately: they had the Holy Spirit present to help them understand.

How would you outline this text?
- The chapter begins with “Let not your heart be troubled. You are trusting God, now trust in me.” (v1, TLB) Jesus then tells them that He is leaving them to prepare homes for them where His Father lives. Thomas responds that they don’t know where Jesus is going so they can’t follow Him. Jesus then explains that, “I am the Way – yes, and the Truth and the Life. No one can get to the Father except by means of me.” (v6, TLB)
- Jesus explains that everything He does is what the Father does. He explains that they will receive another Comforter (the Holy Spirit) so that they will not be abandoned. Jesus explains that the Holy Spirit will only be revealed to those who love and obey Him and that the Holy Spirit will teach them and remind them what Jesus had taught them.
- Jesus tells them He is leaving them with the gift of peace in mind and heart and that His peace is different from the peace the world promises. Jesus promises that although He is going away, He will return. Jesus then explains that what is going to happen next is not because Satan has power over Jesus (he does not), but that Jesus will be following the Father.

What will I do?
- I will pray and ask that the Holy Spirit will give me discernment on a couple of things in which I need a direction.

When will I do it?
- Now and when I have future dilemmas.

Where will I do it?
- Anywhere. We can pray for direction from God at anytime, anywhere.
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. If you really knew Me, you would know My Father as well." - John 14:6-7a
Benisse
Site Admin

Post by Benisse » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:55 am

Praying for discernment, direction and wisdom from above for you Hermia...
I'm running behind this week; one of my close friends Vicky was in ICU and had emergency surgery to put in a catheter for dialysis. I hope to finish my John 14 study and post tomorrow Lord willing.
blessings, Benisse
------------------------------
P-R-A-Y John 14 updated 4/9/2017

P-ray (John 14:1-6)
Lord Jesus, Thank you that you are an understanding God, and you give us a concrete plan for dealing with our troubled hearts: Faith and Trust in you, for you are God. When we feel overwhelmed by my failure to do what I know I should, help us to cling to the imperishable promise we have in you, for no matter what I am going through, you are the answer -- the truth, the . Give them discernment and wisdom for each need or person they encounter today. Help them to experience your peace no matter what, and help them grow in their loving obedience to your truth.
In Jesus Name Amen

R-ead & A-sk
To me, this discourse between Jesus and his disciples was more like a planetary system with key ideas and concepts orbiting around the Son of God: Believe… Know …. Promises… Love/obey…

So instead of a traditional linear outline, I am grouping key ideas together:
1. Believe/Know
• believing in God/Jesus = the antidote to troubling thoughts or burdens (v1)
• He is the way the truth and the life, and the only way to the Father. (v6)
• He is God, and has demonstrated his oneness with the Father through speaking God’s truth and performing miracles (vv7, 9-11)
• He foretold his going away to the Father before it happened so that afterwards the disciples would be strengthened in their faith in him and know it was not Satan who got the upper hand (vv28-30)

2. Promises to hang on to in the face of fear and trouble:
• He is preparing a place for me in heaven, and will come back and take me to be with him. (vv2-3)
• He never abandons us like orphans; he comes to us through the Holy Spirit, another Counselor, and surrounds us with his presence and love. (vv16-21)
• The Spirit will teach us all things and remind us of all Jesus has said to us. (v26)
• He gives us true peace unlike the poor substitute that the world gives (v27)
• If you have faith in Jesus, you to will do the works of Jesus, and even greater ones for he is going to the Father.(v12)
• When we pray in Jesus’ name, he will do it (v13-14)

3. Love/obey
• love and obedience go hand in hand, and if you truly love God (obeying the commands you have from God) vv15,23-24
• Jesus is our example in showing how he loved and obeyed the Father (v31)

4. Other Questions:
• What does Jesus mean when he says “the Father is greater than I” (v28)? It does not mean that Jesus is any less God than the Father, but that he has submitted his will to the Father's plan and will especially in facing the cross.
• In verse 31 it sounds like Jesus and the disciples are leaving the room where they had the last supper. So where does the discourse in chapters 15 and 16 take place? It seems they did in fact leave the upper room and their Passover meal/communion, so Jesus is continuing to talk to the disciples as they walk to Gethsemane.

Y-our Application
This chapter was a conversation between Jesus and his closest eleven followers, and I so appreciated Jesus’ gentleness and patience with them. His loving reminders, redirections, and responses really encourage me because it shows me it is okay not to understand, and that it is okay to honestly go to Jesus with my confusion. It also reminds me that when I am troubled and feeling scared or abandoned I can cling to God’s promises – and I can freely ask him what is bothering me. I can commit my burdens to him for he is with me, in me, and loves me. And he will teach me the truth, show me the way, and restore my soul with his amazing life.
Xin Yesu, Xiang Yesu - Believe Jesus, Be like Jesus
LWW art in my avvy and siggy by my daughter
Benisse
Site Admin

Post by Benisse » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:35 pm

P-R-A-Y John 15

P-ray (John 15:26-27)
Thank you God for your Holy Spirit who teaches me about the truth and helps me learn from your word and your Son. Help me to be faithful in sharing you with others I come into contact with today.
In Jesus Name, Amen

R-ead & A-sk
Summary: As Jesus and his eleven are on their way to Gethsemane, Jesus continues to give them last minute encouragement and exhortation to prepare them for when he will be gone. His wants them to know that all the storm that is to come is not a random tragedy, but his careful following God’s plan so that he can bring many to experience communion with God, plus God’s love. He wants them to abide in God/himself like a branch abiding in the Vine so they may be fruitful; he wants them to abide in his love and share that love with others. He warns them of persecution and explains the “why” behind it; and he promises the Holy Spirit to testify and remind them of all Jesus has taught them, and commissions them to testify to his truth to others as well.

Outline:
Abide in the Vine (vv 1-8)
Passover is always at the full moon, so I imagine Jesus and his disciples pausing on the way to Gethsemane to look at a vineyard along the way as he talks about the True Vine and the need for the branches to draw their life and strength and fruitfulness from the Vine. He explains about the process of pruning to increase fruitfulness and answers to prayer, both signs that they are his disciples.

Abide in His Love (vv 9-17)
Jesus wants them to be infused with a love that finds its source in himself and which overflows to others. This love originates with the love between the Heavenly Father and Jesus, and is reflected as we follow God’s commands. Jesus is our example! As we obey God we are following in his steps, abiding in his love; and we will then experience the full extent of his joy which transcends circumstances.

About Persecution (18-25)
Don’t be surprised if the world is hostile toward you, for it hated Jesus first, and you are his chosen ones, and “no servant is greater than his master.” The world has no excuse for Jesus has come and revealed himself to them and proven his divinity through miracles; so in rejecting Jesus they have rejected God the Father too. Their rejection fulfills the prophecy that “they hated me without reason.”

About Testifying (26-27)
Just as Jesus is sending the Counselor (Holy Spirit/Spirit of Truth) to testify re: his teachings, reminding them about all he has said, so is he sending the disciples as witnesses to others.

Y-our Application
1. Can people tell that I belong to Jesus by the way I love others and the way I seek to please God, following his commands? I especially want to grow in showing his love toward my family by making time to just hang out with them apart from daily chores and eating – This will mean that I need to limit my online time and projects to times when they are busy too, so we can have common time together.

2. testifying – When I am driving to a meeting or to go spend time with someone, I want to spend some time praying about my time with those people before I turn on the music or audiobook in the car. I need to seek God’s guidance in my contacts with others so that he will be free to love through me and speak through me.
HermitoftheNorthernMarch
ROotL

Post by HermitoftheNorthernMarch » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:48 am

Thank you for mentioning that they are probably travelling to the Garden of Gethsemane in this chapter, Benisse, I didn’t notice it until you pointed it out. And thank you for your outlines and notes. Praying with your family in the car before turning on the radio sounds like it would be useful.

Chapter Fifteen:

Who is mentioned?
- Jesus talking about Himself as the Father and the true vine, the disciples, and the unbelieving world. The entire chapter is discourse.

What does the text say?
- Jesus speaks about being the true vine with His followers as the fruit. He uses this example to show that without God we cannot produce fruit (do things for God.) The branches are pruned to produce more fruit - which symbolizes trials we go through. Branches that wither because they are not with the true vine are destroyed. (v1-8)
- Jesus explains that His goal is that “your joy may be complete. This is My command: love one another as I have loved you. No one has greater love than this, that someone would lay down his life for his friends. You are My friends if you do what I command you.” (v11-14, HCSB)
- Jesus predicts the disciples will be persecuted. He also explains that people will persecute Jesus’ followers in God’s name. (v18-25)
- Jesus again predicts that the Holy Spirit will come to the disciples and that the disciples will testify about Jesus. (v26-27).

When did it happen?
- The night before Jesus was crucified.
Where did it happen?
- The upper room in Jerusalem or on the way to the Garden of Gethsemane. John does not tell when they leave for the garden and the other gospels do not detail as much of the teaching of the Last Supper as John does. I think Benisse's conclusion is excellent.
Why did/will/should it happen?
- Jesus was giving last minute instructions to the disciples on how to follow God. Jesus predicts persecution so that the disciples will be more aware it is going to happen. (I was going to say, so they’d be prepared, but would anyone really be completely prepared for persecution?)
How would you outline this text?
- Jesus tells the disciples about the true vine and the branches analogy, His goal for their lives, predicts persecution, and again reminds them about the coming of the Holy Spirit.

Your Application: What will I do, when, and where?
- Try to become closer to God. As I haven’t been able to go to church because of work, I have finally learned how to download the sermons on itunes (not a Mac person) so I will listen to those at least a couple times a week.
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. If you really knew Me, you would know My Father as well." - John 14:6-7a
Benisse
Site Admin

Re: John 16

Post by Benisse » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:14 am

Sermons on itunes sound like a great option, Hermia! Yay!

I also pray that God would enrich your personal worship times and maybe help you get plugged into a fellowship that is meeting at a time you can manage.
For example Community Bible Study and Bible Study Fellowship both have international non-denominational networks of people studying specific passages discussing their discoveries in small groups, having a time of worship and teaching on that same passage, and then receiving take-home notes on what they have studied. I would imagine many churches might have growth groups or house churches that might fit into your schedule. Another option might be getting involved in a small discipleship group. Currently I am in one with a woman who is a nurse, but she is also going to an intensive 18-month course of study to get her B.S.N. She moreover is a single mother and her sons are both very active in competitive soccer leagues so her life is really really full taking them to out of town tournaments... Through it all it is such a blessing seeing her determination to grow on.

--------------------------------
John 16 P-R-A-Y

P-ray
Lord Jesus I am amazed that even though you were facing the Cross, you were so concerned for the safety and spiritual and emotional well being of your followers (as well as physical safety). You told them what was to come, not to alarm them but to show them that You are God and that You are in control. What a comfort to know that no matter what challenges we may be facing, You indeed are the One who is in Control – and You are the one who loves us most of all. Thank you for your Holy Spirit; help us to sincerely heed Him as He guides and instructs us moment by moment. Strengthen our faith and teach us to embrace your truth and joy no matter what is going on in our lives.

Please be with Hermia and Swan and Hobbit -- and whoever else that may be following this thread -- in a special way as we celebrate Your resurrection this weekend.
In Jesus name, Amen

R-ead and A-sk

Title: Preparing his own for his departure
vv1-4 Purpose of Prophecy
Jesus wanted to prepare the disciples for the coming persecution by prophesying what would happen ahead of time so that they would not go astray (v1). Persecution was coming! While he was with them he had protected them from this inevitability, but now that he was facing his own passion he wanted them to know that he already knew what was going to happen in order to strengthen their faith.

vv 5-15 Promise of the Holy Spirit
To help them when he was gone, Jesus promised them the Holy Spirit, who would be a great Good because he would convict the world of guilt in relationship to sin, righteousness and judgment:
>>of sin – because people don’t believe in Jesus (and to help people realize their need for him so that they would believe)
>>of righteousness – so believers would know how to live righteously in the absence of Jesus’ physical guiding presence
>>of judgment – for Satan was condemned and crushed at the cross
The Holy Spirit/Counselor Spirit of Truth would also serve as their teacher , glorifying Jesus, helping them remember Jesus’ teaching and telling them what was to come.

vv 16-30 Plain talk for puzzled disciples
When Jesus prophesied that soon they would see him nor more, and then soon they would see him, the disciples were confused – but in their heaviness of heart did not voice their question for clarification. So Jesus addresses the question burdening their hearts and explains that a time of mourning and sadness for them was coming, but that their grief would be turned to joy – just as the pain of a woman in childbirth is eclipsed by the joy of the new baby when it is born. He promised: “Now is your time of grief, but I will see you again and you will rejoice and no one will take away your joy” … “I came from the Father and entered the world; now I am leaving the world and going back to the Father” (v22, 28). This plain talk helped the disciples to realize that Jesus is from God, and they responded in a profession of belief.

vv 31-33 Prophecy and Peace
Jesus accepts their profession of faith in him, but he still wants to prepare them because he was concerned how they would react to their own coming desertion of him. Therefore Jesus let them know that they would run away but he also reassured them that he was not a victim; he was not alone, for the Father was with him. His purpose in prophesying: that they may have peace even when tribulation comes. In the face of the approaching darkness, Jesus reassures them even before the Cross that he has overcome the world.

Y-our Application
v22 I want to have more of an eternal perspective as I move through life instead of a daily planner perspective in moving through my day. Consequently I want to try to remember to pray through my appointments and for the people I will encounter not only in the course of real life, but also in my contacts through the Internet or phone calls or even the people I engage with while doing errands, etc. I want to have my heart tied in conversation with God throughout the day.

So – today I will wear a ring that is a bit too loose so that as I take time to straighten it on my finger throughout the day I will also be turning my heart and thoughts to God in prayer.
HermitoftheNorthernMarch
ROotL

Post by HermitoftheNorthernMarch » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:42 am

Benisse, that idea to have a ring to remind you to pray is a good one. Thank you for sharing!

I got a little caught up in things, so I'm posting the last two chapters together.

John Chapter 16
• Who is mentioned?
- Jesus, the unbelieving world, the remaining disciples, the Holy Spirit, and the Father.

• What does the text say?
- Jesus tells His disciples more plainly what will happen: that they will be banned from the synagogue and could be killed. The Counselor (Holy Spirit) will come to convict the world of sin, righteousness, and judgment.
- Jesus explains that He is going away, but that He will come back and that their sorrow will be turned to joy. This was a hard thing for the disciples to accept, they had come to follow Jesus because of His miracles, but now they will have to put His teachings into practice. Jesus compares them their grief to a woman having a baby, telling them that, yes, suffering will happen, but it will become better.

• When did (will) it happen?
- Jesus was teaching them the night before His crucifixion.

• Where did (will, should) it happen?
- Either the Upper room or the Garden of Gethsemane.

• Why did (will, should) it happen?
- So that God’s plan of salvation would be fulfilled.

• How would you outline this text?
- Jesus predicts persecution of His followers after He leaves, but He also promises hope. “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” (v33, NIV)

Y-our application:
• What will I do?
- I will pray more.
• When will I do it?
- When I am tempted, instead of just falling in the trap of using reason alone, I will also pray that God will take the temptation away.
• Where will I do it?
- Wherever I am when I am tempted.

John Chapter 17
A-sk:
• Who is mentioned?
- Jesus speaks to the Father about Himself, the disciples, and all believers.

• What does the text say?
- Jesus asks for God’s glory to be shown through Him. (v1-5)
- Jesus outlines His ministry to the disciples, He prays that they will be protected from evil and that they will have joy. (v6-19)
- Jesus prays for all believers, that we will be unified in God, so that the world will know that Jesus was sent by God. (v20-26)

• When did (will) it happen?
- The night that Jesus was arrested.

• Where did (will, should) it happen?
The Garden of Gethsemane.

• Why did (will, should) it happen?
- Jesus’ prayer is recorded so that we would know His heart.

• How would you outline this text?
- Jesus is our intercessor.

Y-our application: Apply what you learned to your life today. Ask God, "What would You like me to do today?" While praying, make a practical plan by answering the following questions:
• What will I do?
- Pray that I will be a better example to my co-workers and neighbors.
• When will I do it?
- Today.
• Where will I do it?
- At home.
Benisse
Site Admin

Post by Benisse » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:04 am

Hi Hermia, Thanks for sharing your John 16 and 17 highlights. These are challenging chapters!
Benisse
--------------------
John 17 P-R-A-Y

P-ray
Dear Jesus,
Thank you for your example in gifting your followers with your prayers as a parting legacy before the Cross. Instead of getting stuck in anticipation of your coming agony and betrayal, you thought of us, praying for our protection and the Father’s care, and for your unity to characterize our relationships. Rather than being paralyzed by fear, you focused on glorifying God. May your teaching and truth sink deep into our hearts giving us a commitment to seek to glorify You and accomplish the task you have laid out for us today no matter what challenges face us. Make us pure and holy by your word and help us to be agents of change in the world so that others may see that You are indeed from God and that the others will accept Jesus because they see how we love and care for one another.
In Jesus’ name, Amen

R-ead and A-sk
Wow… Jesus' last gift to his disciples before the Cross was his prayer for them…
& he prayed for me/us too (17:20)!

Outline - Jesus’ Parting Gift: Prayer
1-5 time for glory:
- for the Son, and to the Father
- the gift of eternal life
- knowing God/Jesus Christ = eternal life

6-8 time for gifts:
- entrusting His own, who keep His word, back to the Father
- all I (Jesus) have is a gift from the Father
- Christ gave His words to the disciples, who accepted them, and believed in Him

9-19 time for prayer for the disciples
- for the Father's care and protection
- for their unity
- for their safety from the evil one
- make them pure and holy by teaching them Your words of truth
- may they be entirely yours

20-26 time for prayer for future believers through their testimony
- that they may be one even as the Son and the Father are one
so the world will know Jesus is from God
so the world will understand you love them
- so that those that believe in Him may see His glory and be with Him
- so that His love may be in them and I (Jesus) will be in them

Key verse: 17:11
Now I am departing the world. I am leaving them behind and coming to you. Holy Father, keep them and care for them – all those you have given me – so that they will be united just as we are.

Application: Prayer requests
1. Help me grow in prayer that it will be the power that infuses and shapes my day rather than something to fall back on when I don’t know what else to do.

2. In times of crisis, help me to focus on the task you have set before me that I may seek to glorify you above all.

3. Help me to pray big, not just getting locked into details – Help me pray in tune with your heart and vision, and join you in your ongoing prayers.

To help me pray these requests, I have printed this study out and will carry it with me to review before I start the car this coming week or when I am waiting in line, etc.

Return to “The Bird and Baby”