Musical Discussion

The meeting place of TLC for conversation that doesn't always include Narnia.

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, Tenethia, Lucy Took

jasmine_tarkheena
Fanatic: At the broken stone table

Musical Discussion

Post by jasmine_tarkheena » Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:55 pm

I don't believe there has been a musical discussion. Who doesn't love a musical, whether on broadway or off broadway? I'm sure we've seen a musical, whether on broadway or on tour or movies or even on Youtube (which you can check out). A Christian school in West Palm Beach, Florida, King’s Academy, have done different ones, which you can check out on YouTube.

Here are a couple of my favorites.

The Hunchback of Notre Dame- This version follows the book by Victor Hugo more closely with elements from the Disney version. It’s a rare combination, but it’s kind of unique. Frollo is the archdeacon again, and Quasimodo is hard of hearing, from ringing the bells (pretty understandable, since I'm sure you know how church bells can be really loud). The three gargoyles are replaced by the statue saints, which is fine. Who knows what Quasimodo would've been talking to during his life in the bell tower? Plus, Phoebus is still a nicer person, like he is in the Disney version. So those who are fans of the original book might enjoy this version more than the Disney.

Les Miserable- Yes, another book by Victor Hugo was adapted into a musical. It's kind of nice that a musical doesn't always have speaking parts. It is all sung. A musical setting in France, especially during the French Revolution (I think), is perhaps no easy task. Not every musical has to have dialogue, so it’s kind of unique.

What are some of your all time favorite musicals? Also, do you prefer musicals with dialogue or without dialogue?
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Re: Musical Discussion

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:36 am

(As a general note: be advised that not all aspects of the above productions (and the works they're based on) are up for discussion. Thematic elements are present in each that are not TLC-friendly.)
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
jasmine_tarkheena

Post by jasmine_tarkheena » Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:08 pm

On that note, since it’s a discussion about musicals, for those of you who would like to include operas and operettas, they count as well. Operas and operettas was the theatrical music people had way before broadway even existed. And I’m sure there are some of you who enjoy operas.
Lily of Archenland
ROotL

Post by Lily of Archenland » Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:14 am

Hm... Are mentions of non-TLC friendly musicals in general allowed with disclaimers? I'm not heavy into musicals but I have enjoyed some.
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:44 am

The current recommendation is to avoid naming productions in which non-TLC-friendly content is heavily woven into the fabric of themes and plot; of course, this applies to discussing said relations to themes at plot points as well. If it’s not appropriate to say around a tweenager, it’s safer to not say it here.
For instance, Les Mis’ trouble spot(s) are relatively skippable, and one can talk about plot and theme without discussing intersection with maturer elements. That said, warnings on productions that are otherwise pretty safe would be helpful. (eg: “I love the conflict of grace and law in Les Mis. (Disclaimer: Fantine’s arc takes her down a dark road; parental guidance heavily advised.)”)
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
jasmine_tarkheena

Post by jasmine_tarkheena » Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:14 pm

On a lighter note, a musical has a purpose to help move the plot along. I know there are some who like musicals with dialogue and some without dialogue. Plus, I'm sure we've heard a musical number at one time or another that doesn't really have anything to do with the plot. I've even heard it in kids movies of a musical, and it makes you go like, "Did we suddenly go right into a totally different movie?"
renegadeoftheshire
Novice: Staying with the Beavers

Post by renegadeoftheshire » Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:52 pm

I haven't seen a lot of musicals, but my favourite so far is Newsies. The broadway is good, but I love the movie a lot more! The story and characters (I find) are written better in the movie.
art by an online friend!
jasmine_tarkheena

Post by jasmine_tarkheena » Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:57 pm

Ah, I see. A majority of musicals I've seen are in movies and youtube, but very few live performances.

Return to “The Bird and Baby”