The TLCinema -- Showing "Prince Caspian"

Anything specifically TLC related, such as chat logs, event logs, contest stuff, and more! It's all found here.

Moderators: Ajnos, White Rose, Swanwhite, kristi

Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

The TLCinema -- Showing "Prince Caspian"

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Wed May 16, 2018 5:35 am

Hello, all! Just setting up this thread for live commentary for TLC's showing of Disney/Walden Media's 2008 adaptation of Prince Caspian. Just a reminder, the event starts Wednesday, May 16, 2018 at 5:00 pm Pacific Time. Get your movie going at that time and join in on the discussion on this thread as we watch the film together.
If you can't make it for the event itself (or come in late), you're still welcome to join the discussion as you watch it on your own time.
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
Swanwhite
Site Admin

Re: The TLCinema -- Showing "Prince Caspian"

Post by Swanwhite » Wed May 16, 2018 11:36 pm

I've got pizza :)
Swanwhite
Site Admin

Post by Swanwhite » Wed May 16, 2018 11:46 pm

So for an opening line of discussion. (If anyone else is here early) What about the movie still stands out to you before rewatching it?

I remember having an overall positive feeling about it after seeing it in the theatre. My sister and I went in costume, and it was enjoyable. I didn't like the Susan/Caspian thing of course, and I wasn't fond of their portrayal of Peter, but I found a lot to enjoy. Some things being different actually gave it an unpredictability, that was neat for the movie watching experience even if I didn't approve from as a book nerd. I liked the electric torch bits, and some other nods to the book.

It's been quite a while since seeing it now so I'm looking forward to reevaluating it.
hobbit_of_narnia
Knight
Location: ♫ What's this holding me? I'm not where I'm supposed to be! ♪♫

Post by hobbit_of_narnia » Wed May 16, 2018 11:55 pm

*comes tearing in, stumbling and skidding across the floor gracefully* Look, I made it!!

@Swanwhite: I remember watching it the first time and being all excited as the opening sequence was going because I had seen LWW over a dozen times, not realizing they'd made PC and oh my goodness they made PC and I'm watching it right now and aaaaaaah!!! And I still get that little thrill whenever the movie is starting. Weird, since the first-time anticipation shouldn't actually be there since now I've seen this one repeatedly too. But there it is nonetheless.
If somebody has an idea for a Narnia comic that they weren't planning on making themselves, I <------ This offer still
would be so grateful if they would send it to me in a PM. I am running appallingly low on ideas...! <-- stands. :)
alexandanor
Knight

Post by alexandanor » Thu May 17, 2018 12:00 am

@Swanwhite: I loved PC the best of the three "new" Narnia movies, but I'm not sure why. I don't like the liberties that they took--especially with Susan and Caspian. But overall it's a fantastic movie, and I especially love the choreography of the duel between Peter and Miraz.
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Thu May 17, 2018 12:00 am

It's 5:00 Pacific, time to get this show on the road!
knight and scribe
alexandanor
Knight

Post by alexandanor » Thu May 17, 2018 12:02 am

Oh, and I really like how they do that Walden Media eclipse in the beginning...
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Thu May 17, 2018 12:04 am

What still stands out to me about this adaptation is that, despite the fact that it's not loyal to the book, it is still a good film. I still have a love/hate relationship with movie!Peter (on the one hand, I'm still ticked they messed him up; on the other, I love character development and the wrecking of his character brought up one of my favourite shots in cinematic history: the carving of Aslan, framed by two icy pillars).
knight and scribe
daughterofeve3
Regular: Meeting Father Christmas

Post by daughterofeve3 » Thu May 17, 2018 12:04 am

Just started it, and @Swanwhite I'm not sure what what stand out, excepted maybe scenery and the little things from the book.
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Thu May 17, 2018 12:05 am

So I have a theory and would love to hear any input you guys have on it. It's actually forming into a headcanon for me: I think movie!Glozelle is secretly supportive of Caspian.
knight and scribe

Return to “TLC Happenings”