Hello from the Czech Republic

If you are a new member, please, introduce yourself so we can get to know you!

Moderators: Tenethia, Ajnos, Swanwhite

always narnian
Site Admin

Re: Hello from the Czech Republic

Post by always narnian » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:44 pm

Welcome, Marmota!

What a fascinating fact about Glimfeather!

Haha! I'm "always", though most people around here call me "Ann" or "Anne." I'm a reporter here on The Lion's Call and Shi of Narnia is my sister. :D

I am also an aspiring writer and a huge Lewis and Tolkien fan. Welcome to TLC!
hansgeorg
Fanatic: At the broken stone table

Post by hansgeorg » Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:04 pm

Grüß Gott, Frl Murmeltier! Oh, I mean, Gesegneten Sonntag!

Hello from a Viennese boy who knows how close Czechoslovakia was (back in late 70's) to my own birthplace, and the background before WW-I to that.

I am pleased to meet you, and you might like either my music or my fan fic or both. Send me a mail if you'd like a link.

Bfürddi' Gott!
hansgeorg

Post by hansgeorg » Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:14 pm

marmota-b wrote:Seed cakes in particular - we don't have those, so they got replaced by poppy seed koláče. But if I remember correctly, there's also mention of quark/curd koláče, so it probably replaced more things; I'd have to look it up and, full disclosure, I only have The Hobbit in English! We always borrowed the Czech book from our uncle.
Aren't koláče any bakery that is sweet and has a filling? I just saw apple pie described as "anglický jablkový koláč" = English Apple koláč.

And I have certainly seem some of the koláče outside Czech Republic, in Germany perhaps as late as when I was in Berlin.
Tenethia
Site Admin

Post by Tenethia » Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:26 pm

Hello, Marmota!

I do apologize for the tardiness of this welcome, but I've been quite busy, trying to balance a new job and a new school year. It's nice to meet you! Here's a bit about me.

I've always wanted to learn to sew but unfortunately there has been no one to teach me; thus I am still untaught. Howeeever, a friend I've recently met at work knows how to sew, so I very well may get the opportunity to learn soon! I'm really interesting in making things that I come up with, without patterns. We'll see how it works.

I also enjoy writing, though I don't get a lot of time to spend on my projects. I don't generally write fanfiction. I'm terrible at it. In fact, my name is a fanfic character I wrote once -- a very terrible Mary-Sue, actually.

I love horses, and everything to do with them. I enjoy playing the piano, both at home and for congregational singing at church. I like long trips, bubble wrap, reading, and cleaning and organizing.

Nice to meet you! :) I'm a moderator and a junior staff member around here, so if you need anything, give me a holler :) I'd be pleased to be of service.

Welcome to TLC!
Lady Tenethia, Moderator and Contributor
This is my favorite scripture passage ^.^
marmota-b

Post by marmota-b » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:39 pm

hansgeorg wrote:
marmota-b wrote:Seed cakes in particular - we don't have those, so they got replaced by poppy seed koláče. But if I remember correctly, there's also mention of quark/curd koláče, so it probably replaced more things; I'd have to look it up and, full disclosure, I only have The Hobbit in English! We always borrowed the Czech book from our uncle.
Aren't koláče any bakery that is sweet and has a filling? I just saw apple pie described as "anglický jablkový koláč" = English Apple koláč.

And I have certainly seem some of the koláče outside Czech Republic, in Germany perhaps as late as when I was in Berlin.
They're not a uniquely Czech thing; but they are definitely one of the things that we consider our own.

As for what it is - pies and rectangular-baking-pan-made things to be cut up into squares are indeed also called "koláč", singular, and they don't even necessarily have to have a filling, just fruit or a topping or something. Baking-pan baked things could also be called "buchta", singular. Whereas "koláče" and "buchty" are smaller and therefore quite inevitably come in plural quantities, even though you can eat and buy a single one. "Buchta/buchty" are leavened dough, all wrapped around the filling and baked in a deep baking pan squished together, generously buttered; they you tear them apart into the single pieces.
The large specimens can, of course, also come in plural quantities, but it's less likely to happen at a single time in a single household.
That's the distinctions I'm able to figure out empirically.

Tenethia: Hello! Good luck learning to sew! It can be frustrating at times, but ultimately, it's very satisfying. :-)
hansgeorg

Post by hansgeorg » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:32 am

Thank you for the clarification!

Return to “New Member Introductions”