Hello from the Czech Republic

If you are a new member, please, introduce yourself so we can get to know you!

Moderators: Tenethia, Ajnos, Swanwhite

marmota-b
Fanatic: At the broken stone table

Hello from the Czech Republic

Post by marmota-b » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:31 pm

Greetings, Friends of Narnia!

Some of you already know me from FanFiction . net. I'm a Czech female Marmot (that's the same genus as Groundhog for you North Americans). I've been reading the Narnian books for most of my life; first in the first Czech translation, in recent years in English as well. I like Tolkien's books as well (although the related legendarium is hard to go through and I haven't read all of it); and reading in general. I also like languages, so you may expect me to go off on language-related tangents any time an opportunity arises. I promise I'll try not to get too off topic here in the forums. :) And creating; for the past five or so years I've been particularly engrossed by sewing, especially historical clothes (with a soft spot for Regency, or maybe more precisely the second half of the 1790s and early 1800s :D ; I haven't made many yet, though). I also enjoy baking with leavened dough, although I haven't made it to bread-level yet. I listen to a lot of music, but don't ask me what kind of music I like... it's more about the flavour of it than a style. :?:

Like lots of Czechs, I like nature and going for walks & hiking, although I don't do it quite as often as I would like and probably should. But I walk everywhere if I can! I like travelling by train, too. I like blue skies with white clouds running overhead and sunlight shining through green leaves. I also love the Moravian-Bohemian Highlands here in the Czech Republic and find them very Narnia-like, with sloping meadows along rivers, crickets singing in summer, many ferny and mossy forests, and heather in the higher altitudes.

Oh, and blueberries. And milk. And black English tea. And combinations thereof.

In Narnian fanfiction, I really enjoy - and tend to do - worldbuilding, gap-filling and character development, and also the spiritual side of things. And I have a soft spot for the smaller furry and feathered inhabitants of Narnia who don't get to be in the spotlight that often. My favourite book used to be Prince Caspian (I love most of the characters and their interactions, and the descriptions of the Beasts and the wilderness), but I think now that I'm older I like The Horse and His Boy more and more (and also like the characters a lot).

A fun language fact to end on: My headcanon Glimfeather is female, because due to Czech's gendered nature and the default for "owl" being female, it was much easier for the translator to treat her as female. And now that that's seared into my mind, I just cannot accept a male Glimfeather.
alexandanor
Knight

Re: Hello from the Czech Republic

Post by alexandanor » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:04 pm

Hi, Marmota! I am honored to be the very first one to welcome to to TLC! My name (as you can probably tell) is Alexandanor. I am a sarcastic and fun-loving elf who also loves to read C.S. Lewis and Tolkien. I usually hang out in the Village Green, but you can also find me in the Graphics section. I hope to see you around! TTFN! (Ta-Ta For Now)
narniac101
Contributor

Post by narniac101 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:12 pm

NEWWWWWWWWWW MEMBER!!! *POUNCES--* Oh, sorry. :?

Anyway, hello! :D I'm Narniac101, the resident Stelf of TLC, though I go mainly by the nicknames Nia, Nan, or Nana, or Niac... or just about anything else that anybody can think of. :mrgreen: *ahem* In real life, I'm a... insane-something-around-middle school-homeschooled Christian girl that lives under a rock in the middle of nowhere. At least, that's what Gypsy says. :P I like to sew some, too! Nothing fancy, though. o.o
As you might be able to see, I like to use emoticons. :mrgreen: A lot. And Mr. Green is my favorite. :mrgreen:
I also have a particular affinity for swords and daggers, and I like to wear my a cloak most of the time. :P Ooh, you like blueberries? :) we have two blueberry farms down the road from where I live. :)

Welcome to TLC, enjoy your stay, and don't shut the door all the way! (Ooh, it rhymed...) I mean, everybody knows it's foolish to shut oneself in a wardrobe... except Edmund, maybe.
Thank you, Hobbit!
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:20 pm

Hello, marmota! You already know me, but I guess I can say that around here, I like to masquerade as a human knight and ranger.
As for the female Glimfeather, that's so interesting! I never thought of language/cultural differences affecting translations.
Welcome to TLC!
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
hobbit_of_narnia
Knight
Location: ♫ What's this holding me? I'm not where I'm supposed to be! ♪♫

Post by hobbit_of_narnia » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:54 pm

Hi, Marmota! I'm Hobbit. I love blueberries, too. :P
Hope to see you around!! :)
If somebody has an idea for a Narnia comic that they weren't planning on making themselves, I <------ This offer still
would be so grateful if they would send it to me in a PM. I am running appallingly low on ideas...! <-- stands. :)
elanorelle
Contributor

Post by elanorelle » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:16 pm

Hello Marmota! Glad to see you've joined our amazing Narnia-loving community. :D

Making things oneself is quite fun, isn't it? ^.^ What type of historical clothing have you created thus far? I particularly love Medieval and Edwardian styled dresses but with my time and inability to sew, I wouldn't be able to make a dress anytime soon, though I want to.
The Czech Republic sounds /beautiful/! I must add it to my ever-growing list of countries I want to visit.

Just a bit about me: I'm Elanorelle the university-bound hobbit and I usually go by shortened names like Ela, Elanor, Norelle and the like. Narnia has been a part of my life for almost as long as I can remember and ever since I picked it up the first time I haven't let go of the beauty that it is. While I love Narnia so, I still have soft spots for Middle-earth, a few Disney films, and War Horse which started me on my passion for anything WWI related. My hobbies and interests include reading, writing (I'm on FF too but go by another name), crocheting, drawing, making graphics and other things from my computer, listening to soundtracks, studying history and French, and hanging around here.

I know you'll love it here and I hope to see you around!
Elanor
marmota-b

Post by marmota-b » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:55 pm

Alexandanor & Hobbit: Thank you!

Nia: What's a Stelf, may I ask? Also, nice rhyme! and I think Edmund knows better by now as well. Aaand... Mr Green used to be, in a different non-green iteration on a different forum years ago, also my favourite. :mrgreen:

Ariel: There definitely are differences! In The Hobbit, for example, Bilbo eats koláče (or rather, some of the dwarfs do) - which are a thoroughly Czech thing, but also, when you aren't aware of that as a child, a thoroughly hobbity thing!

Elanor: I'm thorough, have started from the bottom and handsew most of everything, so I haven't made much yet: a chemise, stays, a sleeveless dress and a sleeveless bodice that's just frayed in the wash in several places, so I'm once again bodice-less... all Regency-style. Oh, and some other still unfinished pieces, mostly also Regency but also a medieval dress. I like making my own patterns, you see... The biggest project before me now is making a corset for my sister. *shudder* (I think I can do it, because I tend to soak up lots of information before plunging into a project; but I haven't made a proper corset yet, and so far all the precise fitting has been on me!)
ShiofNarnia
Knight

Post by ShiofNarnia » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:01 pm

Heeeey there! I'm Shi! (Pronounced just like the word "shy"). I'm a Christian, was homeschooled, and have an interest in photography (though very much unproductive in that area for a long while :( ). My favorite color is green and my favorite animals are dogs and otters. Welcome to TLC!
Lady Shi, Royal Photographer and Otter Keeper
narniac101
Contributor

Post by narniac101 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:55 pm

Eheheheh, I forgot to mention that... :P Stelf is my custom species. Part Narnian Star, and Elf. As part Narnian star, (The VDT movie implies that they can change form :P ) I'm a shapeshifter. Then along with Elf-characteristics, I'm an archer (Stelfwise and in real life too). My favorite weapon of choice other than a bow and arrows is a Mithril rolling pin. :mrgreen: And yesssss, I'm pretty chatty and hyperactive on the forum. ... hence my managing to make an entire paragraph about a simple thing like Stelves. :?
Thank you, Hobbit!
marmota-b

Post by marmota-b » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:00 pm

Otters are cute. :) But I'm more of a cat person than a dog person.

Rolling pins for the win! Don't feel bad, it's a short paragraph and I always write things in a wordy manner, too!

Return to “New Member Introductions”