Greetings from Orik.

If you are a new member, please, introduce yourself so we can get to know you!

Moderators: Tenethia, Ajnos, Swanwhite

0rik
Newbie: Looking into Wardrobes

Greetings from Orik.

Post by 0rik » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:02 am

Hello, I am Orik. I have maaaaaaaaaaaany hobbies and interests including, playing many instruments (Piano, Flute, Bassoon, Recorder, etc.), speedcubing, brainteaser and puzzle solving, playing many outdoor activities, and cooking. I also am a bit of a handyman with building and electronics. I also love star wars. I found this website when I was looking for some information about the Lefay Fragment, the original prequel to The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe. Many of its concepts made it into the Magician's Nephew. I looked up some more things on The Lion's Call, and then eventually decided to join the chat. What's the worst thing that could happen? I thought. It asked for a temporary name, and me, not wanting to disclose any personal information and be funny at the same time, and I thought that it would be simply hilarious to put in Temporary Name. I joined on the chat and talked some, and then it became a habit to constantly stay on. I changed my guest name to Orik and continued to stay active on the chat. I recently became a member. My profile image doesn't have any deep prophetic meaning yet, it was just one of the first google results for "Beautiful Narnian landscape". :)
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Re: Greetings from Orik.

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:46 am

Hullo, Orik! We’ve met in chat and I may know you better than you know me because I sometimes read the stuff in chat without interacting. I’ve always been more active in the forum. :-) So cool that you found us by looking up something Narnian. I had too, years ago.
Pray tell, what is speedcubing? I’ve never heard of it.
I also have many hobbies. Too many. Which is why some have fallen off the backend. Cake decorating takes up a lot of my free time nowadays, thanks to a friend getting me into it and then two other friends recommending that I take it to social media. I love stories, which leads me to love reading, writing (though I have to be inspired and haven’t had much inspiration lately), and video editing. I’ve recently also begun to tiptoe into wood burning and jewelry making with resin.
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
0rik

Post by 0rik » Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:10 pm

Speedcubing is solving rubiks cubes quickly. It has been a while since I have done it though. My personal best used to be around 25 seconds. I have done wood burning before and many other seemingly random hobbies and activites.
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:52 pm

Okay, respect! I can’t even solve a Rubik’s cube, much less do it in any kind of timeframe. (I know there’s some kind of formula to it, but I haven’t studied it and don’t even have an unsolved cube to motivate me.)
knight and scribe
0rik

Post by 0rik » Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:00 am

No, no formula! That is a misconception that pretty much everybody makes, that it has a formula or you use math. Only robots/computers solve it that way. I won't do into too much detail (I can if you would like me to), but essentially you build the cube up the exact same way every time. Even though there are 43,252,003,274,489,856,000 (or 88,580,102,706,155,225,088,000 if you count center orientations! different possible permutations, you will never run into anything that will be different from what you do every time, because the permutations do not matter, because we aren't computers. :). You use quick and simple algorithms (no, don't freak out and think of math, algorithms in cubing is the term for a sequence of moves) to manipulate the cube through easy-to-follow steps. IQ has nothing to do with it. (I have seen total boneheads solve rubiks cubes :))
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:24 am

Okay, so I have a few things to learn about Rubik’s cubes it seems. :D
knight and scribe
narniannetty
Regular: Meeting Father Christmas

Post by narniannetty » Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:31 pm

Hi Orik! Glad to see you finally joined us! Welcome to Narnia!
Swanwhite
Site Admin

Post by Swanwhite » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:33 pm

Hullo Orik!

Doesn't feel necessary to introduce myself, but I enjoy reading your account of yourself :)

"What's the worst thing that could happen?" I wonder how Puddleglum would answer that?
hobbit_of_narnia
Knight
Location: ♫ What's this holding me? I'm not where I'm supposed to be! ♪♫

Post by hobbit_of_narnia » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:20 am

Hi Orik! I' don't frequent the chat so I haven't met you yet. We seem to share a few hobbies, though (Star Wars, music, puzzles, etc). I'm Hobbit, I'm in my early twenties, and I'm currently in the States for the summer although I live in South Korea so I am usually not online at the same time as everyone else.
Since you mentioned cubing as one of your interests, I have to ask: have you tried mirror cubes? I kind of prefer those to regular cubes since you solve them by touch so you can even use them in a darkened room. Nice for concerts and such as long as it's a quiet cube.
If somebody has an idea for a Narnia comic that they weren't planning on making themselves, I <------ This offer still
would be so grateful if they would send it to me in a PM. I am running appallingly low on ideas...! <-- stands. :)
0rik

Post by 0rik » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:40 pm

Yes, I do have a mirror cube, although i have not attempted to solve it only by feel. I will have to try that. I think that there are also braille cubes and others that you can do by feel.

Return to “New Member Introductions”