Non-Narnian Fan Art

Do you have any fan art to post? In here you will find threads for both Narnian and Non-Narnian.

Moderators: Lucy Took, White Rose

hobbit_of_narnia
Knight
Location: ♫ What's this holding me? I'm not where I'm supposed to be! ♪♫

Re: Non-Narnian Fan Art

Post by hobbit_of_narnia » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:53 pm

Thanks, Jaygee! :mrgreen:

So after all the serious fan art I've been doing, I thought it was time for something funny. It's a bit morbid still, but everything from the Silm is and you'll have to take that up with Tolkien.
In case the text is hard to read (it was a small drawing and my pencil kept slipping) their shirts say "I survived the first age" and Maglor's has "(maybe)" underneath, due to the uncertainty of his fate. I prefer how it turned out in the published Silm, but...apparently Tolkien's notes aren't 100% clear on it and occasionally contradict themselves.
(The bandage on Maglor's hand is from burning it on the Silmaril. :P )
If somebody has an idea for a Narnia comic that they weren't planning on making themselves, I <------ This offer still
would be so grateful if they would send it to me in a PM. I am running appallingly low on ideas...! <-- stands. :)
jesusgirl4ever

Post by jesusgirl4ever » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:53 pm

:lol: Great!
Lady Jaygee, Royal Pianist and Lover of Cats, Knight of TLC
HermitoftheNorthernMarch
ROotL

Post by HermitoftheNorthernMarch » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:45 am

It's so much fun to see Elrond and Galadriel in present-day t-shirts! And it makes the joke funnier. Thanks for posting.
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. If you really knew Me, you would know My Father as well." - John 14:6-7a
hobbit_of_narnia
Knight

Post by hobbit_of_narnia » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:40 am

Thanks, Jaygee and Hermit! :mrgreen:

Golden-haired elves are significantly more difficult to draw than their darker-haired relatives. So I've been practicing, mostly with Finrod and Glorfindel. In this drawing, the hair actually turned out approximately the right shade, to my surprise. (Last time I drew Finrod he ended up with middle-brown hair, which is very much non-canonical. :lol: )
(Lyrics from "Finrod and Sauron" by Lind Erebros.)
This is the moment when Finrod begins to lose the contest against Sauron and his orc disguise falls away. The blurred effect between the orc disguise and natural elf form was extremely tricky and I'm still not completely satisfied with it, but I can't think of anything else I could have done. :roll:

About these next few: I was looking up Silmarillion fanart the other day and found some racebent stuff (racebent in the usual meaning of the word). It was pretty cool, but in Middle Earth, the word "race" has a slightly different meaning. So I wanted to try my hand at racebending some of the characters, Middle Earth style! Sorry, not sorry. :P
(Yay for freckles on Maedhros! I've been dying to give him freckles for a while, but for some reason couldn't bring myself to do it as long as he was an elf...)
About Yavanna: I know that she's a Vala, but it does say that they appeared in a form similar to that of the Firstborn, so if the Firstborn were the Periannath rather than the Eldar...!

(Hopefully I didn't exceed my picture limit for one post... :? )
If somebody has an idea for a Narnia comic that they weren't planning on making themselves, I <------ This offer still
would be so grateful if they would send it to me in a PM. I am running appallingly low on ideas...! <-- stands. :)
jesusgirl4ever

Post by jesusgirl4ever » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:03 pm

All wonderful!
hobbit_of_narnia
Knight

Post by hobbit_of_narnia » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:03 am

Thanks, Jaygee! :mrgreen:

Glorfindel gets to do all the fun stuff. :( He probably gets a later bedtime, too.

But Glorfindel's still cool, despite him being given special favors, so I did him as the subject of a drawing experimenting with a new angle which I'll probably never be using again because it was frustrating and didn't even turn out right after all the time I spent on it. :P

And this was a challenge I decided to do while listening to Blind Guardian's Silmarillion album. During a single song, I would draw part of the scene off which the song was based, resulting in a full page of very rough sketches that were a lot of fun to do. Technically, once each song ended I was supposed to stop right away and lay down my pencil. But the one for "Nightfall" I couldn't resist adding a bit of extra time to. (Strangely enough, that one is my least favorite on the whole page, despite the extra few seconds I gave myself to finish.)
Clockwise from top left: Maedhros, Maeglin, Fingolfin, Nienor, and Feanor.
https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-VU9Q5EmI5Qs/ ... llenge.jpg
The one for "Harvest of Sorrow" is so light because I didn't know how long the song was and it was a lot shorter than I'd counted on it being. And then it started decelerating and I was like "OH SNAP I GOTTA WRAP THIS UP REALLY QUICK!!!" so I ended up leaving Turin completely out of the drawing. :roll:
"Thorn", on the other hand, was longer than I remembered and I finished the light sketch before the song was even halfway done, so I got to do a minimal amount of line-darkening. ;)
(Link approved by Tooky)
Last edited by hobbit_of_narnia on Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
jesusgirl4ever

Post by jesusgirl4ever » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:04 am

LOL at the first one, and all the rest are great, too!
hobbit_of_narnia
Knight

Post by hobbit_of_narnia » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:40 am

:mrgreen: Thanks, Jaygee! The first one was a lot of fun and took somewhere between five and ten minutes, so that was awesome.

So I did another comic, this time by hand, and it took muuuch more than ten minutes to do...maybe an hour and a half or two hours, plus fifteen minutes for editing and layout? The comic relies rather heavily on a a couple of headcanons of mine, but they're rather too long to bore everybody with on here. But the summary is that I was wondering if Maedhros and Fingon had this sense of foreboding at their last meeting before Nirnaeth Arnoediad, seeing as how the High Elves who survived to the Third Age for LOTR can foresee the future sometimes (albeit usually vaguely). And these two are about as High-Elf as you can get (especially Maedhros, hahahaha, get it? Because of his height...Maedhros the Tall...okay, that was extremely lame, never mind).
(I have better-resolution versions of these, but they were too big to post on here, not to mention large enough to see the mistakes more clearly. :lol: )

I've learned that drawing dappled horses is a lot harder than I thought. If you don't do it exactly right, you come out with something that looks more like scales than anything else, hence the dragon-horse in the bottom left frame of the first page. :roll:
Also, Gypse or Teeny or anyone else who's ever done horseback riding (myself included) is probably going to call me out on how Maedhros dismounts. We're going to blame it on his inability to hold the saddle correctly, but it's actually because this is the first time I've ever drawn someone dismounting.
Also the proportions are off in pretty much the whole drawing, but it turned out better than I had thought it would, so it's fine for now. :P
HermitoftheNorthernMarch
ROotL

Post by HermitoftheNorthernMarch » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:08 am

Hobbit of Narnia, it is clear that you are envisioning your characters in 3D rather than in freeze-frame 2D, it makes your drawings much more accurate. It's also great to see the attention to the wrinkles on the large bell sleeves. It's clear that you're really working hard on your drawings! Thanks for posting.
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. If you really knew Me, you would know My Father as well." - John 14:6-7a
hobbit_of_narnia
Knight

Post by hobbit_of_narnia » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:39 am

Awww, thank you, Hermit! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Another one-song drawing challenge (same album, mostly different songs).
Clockwise from top left: Fingon, Turgon, Beren, a random elf fighting a random orc, Maedhros
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-cFpwlIimDRo/ ... ge%2B2.jpg
(link approved by Tooky)

So...about this...the joke came into my head and absolutely would not leave. I'm extremely sorry...I don't regret having done it exactly, but I am nonetheless apologizing because this was, in my opinion, probably the saddest scene in the entire book, and it felt really weird to make a joke out of it. (A special apology to Beleg and Turin themselves. I love you guys; I'm so, so sorry.) And no, I'm not an MLP fan. I've only seen like two episodes of the show in my life, and that only because I hang out with younger kids a lot.
Please nobody kill me.
Last edited by hobbit_of_narnia on Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Fan Art”