The Silver Chair?!!!

Discussions on the upcoming film by CS Lewis Company and Mark Gordon Co.

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, jesusgirl4ever, Ajnos

Lucy Took
Site Admin

The Silver Chair?!!!

Post by Lucy Took » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:05 pm

Eriathwen wrote:
Now about Silver Chair, I'm not happy at all about it. I believe Gresham should have chosen a Christian to make these films period. I just don't feel that all of the Christian elements in these books will be brought to the screen, in Prince Caspian and VDT the storylines were messed up and I feel Silver Chair may go down the same route. Tryng to make it a cinematic blockbuster! Adding in lots more violence then needed!!! All that is going to drown out the true spirit of Lewis's writing. Also all the old cast is going to be replaced, to me that is plenty awkward, the actors are going to be much too old to play characters only 6 months after VDT. I'm really not trying to be the pessimist but I'm just afraid all the Christian elements are going to be stripped to a bare minimum and it doesn't please me at all.

As for the a Christian having to make it for the elements to be there...I don't agree with that. Take a look at what PJ's done before. Now look at Lord of the Rings. Peter Jackson isn't a Catholic, but he got Lord of the Rings. He GOT it. I'm not in favor of saying that the director /has/ to be a Christan, but I do say that they have to GET the spirit of Narnia, something that the directors so far seem to have missed majorly. Look at the BBC versions, I doubt they had a Christian director but they understood the spirit. The special effects were....lacking, but the heart was there.

That said to me the Silver Chair is one of the books that is the most rich in symbolism and I don't see that coming out very well. >.<

I kinda gave up on the movie series after VDT. I said that they could do whatever they wanted to Prince Caspian as long as they got Dawn Treader right......and it was a major flop. It was terrible as a movie and terrible as an adaptation.
Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.
Eriathwen
ROotL

Re: Welcome home

Post by Eriathwen » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:54 pm

Well I'm not saying it HAS to be a Christian, but look what happened to the other movies ;)
And why not a Christian? I agree it depends on how much of the spirit of the book is there, but to me God had a divine purpose for Lewis to write Narnia, and if your not a Christian you can't understand that purpose, because you reject it (if you didn't you would be a Christian ;) ) And so, if the producer/director isn't a Christian, God will not be present during the making of the films (that is an unarguable point) even Gresham tried, but it was to no avail to get all the symbolism there, you need God there working through and in everyone but how can that happen when they don't believe? And about LoTR the symbolism is not as blatant as is Narnia, you really have to know Christ to see some things. But in Narnia it is easy to see Christ at work and secular people don't like the fact that it is so blatant.
No, I didn't say that :) I'm saying overall the series has Christ throughout it. Not that specifically SC had the most, but I'm trying to get across how much there is and how little the past movies have shown.

I really do want to be proven wrong, and it turn out a wonderful movie.
The Elf of Narnia
Love makes people so
gypsevedius
Knight
Location: To be honest...what if you tickled a unicorn's face?

Post by gypsevedius » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:59 pm

*has learned to separate books from movies* You know, so that I don't compare them. :D So to me, there is no right and no wrong to a movie or book. :D :D
If you see a typo in this message, let me know. *facepalm*
^.^ *is such a suspicious looking unicavvey*
Thanks for the sig, Hobbit! (:
narniagirl11
Knight

Post by narniagirl11 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:37 pm

Exactly, Gypsy. I love the books and the movies. You just have to accept them as different things. I go into every movie adaptation knowing that it won't be the same as the book. NO MOVIE EVER IS! That's just a fact. You can keep it close, but it's not the book. They are writing and filming a MOVIE, not a book. I just accept it as that.
~~Throne Warden of Anniera~~
Thank you, Ela, for the wonderful set!
Eriathwen
ROotL

Post by Eriathwen » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:47 pm

I understand :) Everyone has different opinions. But yes a movie can't be exactly like a book but should at least try to get it as close as possible.
The only reason it upsets me is the fact that the Walden and Fox, movies drove me away from even wanting to read a few words of the books. But I was forced to read them and love them very dearly now.
The Elf of Narnia
Love makes people so
ShiofNarnia
Knight

Post by ShiofNarnia » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:03 pm

I can understand Eria. But it's still exciting, even though VDT and PC were disappointing. I hope they do SC well, I think that one is my favorite. Had anyone ever heard of this guy who's doing it? I hadn't.
Lady Shi, Royal Photographer and Otter Keeper
Tenethia
Site Admin

Post by Tenethia » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:26 pm

Thwenny, I agree with you to a point -- I'm really excited to see this come out, but in another way I'm really horrified. I disliked Dawn Treader to no end, and I'm nervous about this. However, I want to see it anywho, and I'm hoping perhaps with all these changes they'll do a better job. Maybe they'll learn a lesson from the way the dudes in the past did the other three films, and NOT do it that way.

With all new people, actors, producers, and directors, maybe we have a chance of getting a decent film?
Lady Tenethia, Moderator and Contributor
This is my favorite scripture passage ^.^
Eriathwen
ROotL

Post by Eriathwen » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:39 pm

:) I hope I wasn't really pessimistic (but I did get up at 5:30 resulting in a mood which I hope I didn't bring here >.<) But anywho, I agree it may be a better start, it being a clean slate, but I just hope and pray this movie isn't ruined. I've read a list of movies/tv shows he has been involved with and I don't agree with most, but maybe he'll make something decent with SC. :D
*needs to be more positive, but my brain is sort of out-a-wack today* I hope I didn't upset anyone.
The Elf of Narnia
Love makes people so
elanorelle
Contributor

Post by elanorelle » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:42 pm

I wasn't too pleased with VDT either, but my dislike for it has lessened through time.
I am looking forward to SC indefinitely, (what else can a Narniac do?), but of course I'll have my share of worries and doubts as I would with any adaptation/interpretation of a book that I like, or in the case of SC, love.

But who knows? This may be the best Narnia movie of the bunch! :D
gypsevedius
Knight
Location: To be honest...what if you tickled a unicorn's face?

Re: The Silver Chair?!!!

Post by gypsevedius » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:07 am

@Arna: Exactly that.

I actually loved VDT as something separate from the books. As well as PC. PC was done pretty good. :D But my favorite was VDT. I can't count how many times I've seen it.

@Eria: You were fine. :D :D

I'm way looking forward to the SC and I can not wait for it to come out!!! All their movies were done well no matter how they were compared to the books. I mean just look at Eustace/dragon! He was so awesome! And the centaurs and fauns were done well too! :D
They were all so good. I guess that's part of what excites me about the movies. :D :D :D :D
If you see a typo in this message, let me know. *facepalm*
^.^ *is such a suspicious looking unicavvey*
Thanks for the sig, Hobbit! (:

Return to “The Silver Chair”