The Silver Chair?!!!

Discussions on the upcoming film by CS Lewis Company and Mark Gordon Co.

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, jesusgirl4ever, Ajnos

The Happy Islander
ROotL

Re: The Silver Chair?!!!

Post by The Happy Islander » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:27 am

It sounds like Gypse has a fondness for good special effects. :) :D

I'm kind of hoping that SC will prove to be Islie-friendly enough for me to be able to see it. *can't watch the Walden films* :P So a fresh start at least gives me a little room to hope. If someone else is doing it... maybe, just maybe I'll be able to watch it? *hopeful giraffe* :)
They might not need me but; they might.
I'll let my Head be just in sight;
A smile as small as mine might be
Precisely their necessity.
-Emily Dickinson
Tenethia
Site Admin

Post by Tenethia » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:26 am

http://www.narniafans.com/archives/15056
(This website is apparently in cahoots but not really with TLC and you should take appropriate caution when entering its realms)
Here's an article that was released. :)

(please forgive any repeating of myself I do in this next bit) When it comes to the Silver Chair, I'm both horrified at this announcement and jumping around with glee. I want to see all 7 movies come out, but I want to see them all come out and impress me. The first one did, the second and third ones, not so much. I think many many of us are anticipating this film, but at least part of us is saying "Oh, no, what will they do this time?"

I just hope they'll cast Puddleglum well.
Last edited by Tenethia on Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lady Tenethia, Moderator and Contributor
This is my favorite scripture passage ^.^
gypsevedius
Knight
Location: To be honest...what if you tickled a unicorn's face?

Post by gypsevedius » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:35 am

@Islie: I am! I am! I am! :D I love special effects.
I hope you will be able to watch it. :D

I think Jill is the one I'm most worried about. I'm hoping she won't be a big cry baby! :D You know, kind of like some imagine her to be. But I just don't see her that way.
And I hope Rillian is brave and cold. Because... he's my favorite except Eustace. :D
If you see a typo in this message, let me know. *facepalm*
^.^ *is such a suspicious looking unicavvey*
Thanks for the sig, Hobbit! (:
narniagirl11
Knight

Post by narniagirl11 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:50 am

Jill. :D What I wouldn't give to be Jill. Unfortunately, I have never been in a film before, have no agent, and can't even imitate a British accent. (Is there some small chance that maybe Jill is American and she's recently moved to England?? :P) I think the girl who played Jill in the BBC SC was excellently cast. That's quite how I imagined her in the books. Very plain, normal looking. Dull brown hair. Straight across bangs are a plus. Just very...ordinary. You know?

Rilian. I so hope that this Rilian isn't creepy like in the BBC SC!!! I don't know what was up with him. :P And I hope he's blond. :D
~~Throne Warden of Anniera~~
Thank you, Ela, for the wonderful set!
gypsevedius
Knight

Post by gypsevedius » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:54 am

@Arna: Jill is awesome. Yes, BBC was great with their Jill. I hope she is like that.
Yeah, Rillian was strange. He has the weirdest look and Tenny and I point out one part where he looks like a duck... but that's another story. So I hope he is awesome and is sort of like (I know it's weird) Legolas. But not quite like Legolas.
ShiofNarnia
Knight

Post by ShiofNarnia » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:15 am

I don't care for Jill in BBC, actually. And Rilian, I don't know what's up with him when he has the mask on, but once he gets it off he's a lot better. Lol. :D But he could be improved upon. And Puddleglum is good in BBC. I hope they cast him good!!!
Lady Shi, Royal Photographer and Otter Keeper
gypsevedius
Knight

Post by gypsevedius » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:17 am

@Shi: Then maybe they will make Jill better. :D

Puddleglum was wonderful!!!!
always narnian
Site Admin

Post by always narnian » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:39 am

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS NEWS, GUYS!??!?!

I'm going to have to stick with Eria on the subject of taking a book and making it into a movie. Firstly, the reason people want to see a book made into a film is because they LOVED the book. Secondly, as an aspiring writer myself, I think it would be devastating to have your book turned into something you never wrote. Why even make it into a film if you're going to change it? Make your own movie entitled something else.
gypsevedius
Knight

Post by gypsevedius » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:42 am

Like I said, you can't judge a book by it's movie. :D
But, Ally, you have a VERY good point. :D
Ajnos
Site Admin

Post by Ajnos » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:07 am

*deep breath*

I'm cautiously optimistic. It's very early days. As far as I can tell, they haven't even announced a director yet. So it's really too soon to judge on that. Many of you weren't on TLC last year when I wrote up a report after Douglas Gresham spoke at the Oxford CS Lewis Society. He told us then that he was keen to make SC next, but did not want to work with Walden again - which meant there was a moratorium on making any new ones until a certain amount of time had passed. He was very disappointed in how VDT turned out, because he didn't have enough say in it. In fact, he basically said that what happened was that Disney was still in charge when the original script was written and they wanted to make it a "Pirates of the Caribbean" type story (hence the rewrite of the adventure). When Disney dropped it and Fox took over, they were stuck with the messed up script. As Ariel mentioned, he said that he had to beg to get the "I have another name" scene in the film at all. He said at the time that he was hoping if he made the rest of the films to make them independently. I don't know anything about the company they've got for SC, but I trust that it's people he trusts and who will allow him more input into the films.

Something else interesting he said about VDT, is that after the film came out, he was feeling really bad about how it turned out, until someone told him that watching the film had had a big impact on them and (I can't remember the exact wording he used) but it had essentially brought them to faith. He said when he heard that, he realised that God can use anything, no matter how bad we might think it, to do His work.

On the topic of actors, I really hope they find a good actor for Puddleglum. On the other hand, he's such a good character, if they write his role well (and keep Lewis's dialogue as they did in the BBC version), he'll be brilliant. It would be incredible if they could get Tom Baker to do it again - but he's probably a teeny bit too old (79? maybe not). He'd have to loose some weight too though ;)
Thank you for the set Happy!!

Born a Daughter of Eve; Now a Daughter of the Second Adam

Return to “The Silver Chair”