What next? (After The Silver Chair)

Discussions on the upcoming film by CS Lewis Company and Mark Gordon Co.

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, jesusgirl4ever, Ajnos

anunknownpevensie
Fanatic: At the broken stone table

Re: What next? (After The Silver Chair)

Post by anunknownpevensie » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:02 pm

Yes! That was really weird, with Caspian ans Susan.

And if you want me to respond to anything, you will have to quote me I am afraid.
sochi602
Regular: Meeting Father Christmas

Post by sochi602 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:48 pm

anunknownpevensie wrote:Yes! That was really weird, with Caspian ans Susan.
Since I read PC before watching it, I was utterly shocked when I saw how old Caspian was... I remember my brother joking for me to cover my eyes at their kiss at the end but I really was just surprised they changed it... But because of that, it made me really see how Susan was even older than in the books in my opinion... even though Caspian was obviously older, Susan seems to have been as well...
hansgeorg

Post by hansgeorg » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:23 pm

Actually, since Susan is supposed to have already grown up as Queen once and been courted by Rabadash, I found that part of film inappropriate.

Except it is just for a moment.

Obviously, Caspian is supposed to be younger than Peter who is still a preteen or early teen (whichever fits best with duel).
sochi602
Regular: Meeting Father Christmas

Post by sochi602 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:57 pm

hansgeorg wrote:Actually, since Susan is supposed to have already grown up as Queen once and been courted by Rabadash, I found that part of film inappropriate.

Except it is just for a moment.

Obviously, Caspian is supposed to be younger than Peter who is still a preteen or early teen (whichever fits best with duel).
Yes! That's true! In HHB she didn't want to marry Rabadash if I remember correctly...
It just wouldn't exactly make sense but whatever, Hollywood likes to do it their way!
hansgeorg

Post by hansgeorg » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:05 am

sochi602 wrote:In HHB she didn't want to marry Rabadash if I remember correctly...
In the end no, as she decided in Tashbaan, but at Cair Paravel she had found him charming.

I mean, after that story, she might have learned a lesson about falling in love with someone in the Narnian world.
Benisse
Site Admin

Post by Benisse » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:36 pm

Interesting discussion -- but getting back to the book-to-movie speculation:
In terms of production costs, Horse and His Boy would have less cgi and special effects than either Magician's Nephew or last Battle, so it might be more feasible as the next film after the Silver Chair. After all HHB has intrigue, quest, bigger battle scenes (Hollywood seems to like to fixate on such clashes).
Xin Yesu, Xiang Yesu - Believe Jesus, Be like Jesus
LWW art in my avvy and siggy by my daughter
hansgeorg

Post by hansgeorg » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:36 pm

Also, I seem to recall, HHB actually was published just after SC*, precisely as the films have up to now been publishing order.

Also, it is a great story, and an Arab or Berber or Persian or Turkish actress for Aravis - or an Indian one - might make the point that Calormenes might have the wrong religion, but there is no wrong skin colour.

How were Calormene traders portrayed in VDT?

* Logically - in one scene Eustace and Jill are listening to the lay of Shasta and Aravis, or sth.
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:17 am

@Benisse: I hadn't thought about the CGI aspect (besides the creation in MN)! And now that HHB is my favourite, I would like to see it done, though I'm now also conflicted on which one would be best to tell next, between telling the story of Narnia and other factors (such as the kids' ages).

@hansgeorg: the VDT Calormenes (at least, we assume they're Calormenes; they're not actually identified) were portrayed as white men in robes (like what one would see in Bible illustrations) and turban-type head coverings.
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
Lily of Archenland
ROotL

Post by Lily of Archenland » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:35 am

Ariel - Did we ever actually see the Calormenes' skin colored in? Rather than being the black ink illustrations? And even if so, there is evidence in HHB that there was at least a sizable faction of darker skinned persons in Caloremen... Although that doesn't have to mean anything. Re: India, you do have a number of nations with a large variety of skin tones in their inhabitants, even among groups of inhabitants who have been there a very long time. It's possible that the Calormenes in VDT were a different ethnic group than the dominant group in the region where Shasta was born...
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:43 am

My only exposure to coloured Narnian illustrations are from what I happen to find online, so I'm really not sure if the Calormenes were coloured dark in those.
Hmm, true, I hadn't thought of colour diversity within a nation/people group. Filipinos are the same way.
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"

Return to “The Silver Chair”